Family Reader's Club / Awful experience

A couple weeks ago, I submitted a report to this website about American Reader. I stated that they had called me and told me that I had been selected for a $1, 000.00 shopping spree (which never materialized) and when I received my American Express monthly statement, I saw three companies listed and the charges made. They were Family Readers Club, Readers Club of America, and Budget Readers Service.

I am very curious to know whether or not anyone else has had the same experience. I suspect that all three of these 'companies' are one in the same operating in different states with different names. One or more of them are calling my cell phone daily and several times a day. Up until now they were not leaving any messages to return call, but for the last 2 days they have left a message to return their call.

I have set my phone to ringtones for the calls that I wish to answer. If the default ringtone rings, I look at the screen and unless I'm expecting a call from someone that's not in my caller groups, I don't answer. If anyone else out there has the same suspicion as I, please post.

An

Comments

14th of May, 2009

Someone called me and told me if I wanted to get magazines from them, I never consented to getting the magazines and they said that they will send me a form to sign if I changed my mind. I said okay. After a few weeks I started to get magazines to my surprise since I never agreed with them. They sent me a bill for two months and then a person from their collection department called that I had consent to the magazines verbally and that if I don't pay them $1000.00+ for one year of subscription they are going to send me to collection. But after mentioning that I never consented to the magazines and never signed anything he told me that he has my voice on the tape and I asked for a replay and he told me that I have to pay first and if I want to hear my voice giving them there would be a $425.00 charge and their lawyers would contact me and then I have to pay the full amount. Later he said if I paid them $300.00 they would forge about the rest of the payment and my subscription would be cancelled and I would still get the rest of the magazines for a year. I repeated that I never consented to the magazines and I shouldn't be responsible for them. I was supposed to call him back but I didn't. So am I responsible for payments and possible legal fees?? Why is this company is allowed to be still running and ruinning people's credit?!

10th of Jul, 2009

the same happened to us, we used to get 28 $ per months taken from our account, but we hardly made it to be 14 $. we get the magazines which are ###, we never read them, we throw them in the trash after our baby rip off the pages. plus, a guy named Mike continues to call us to get more money from us, he even called my husband at work, what can I say about the late hours, like 9.30 in the evening. we hung up on him, with the hope he understands the allusion and he leaves us alone, but I guess he won't stop until I tell him something rude. he is really looking for some vulgar words from me.

10th of Jul, 2009

oh, should I mention that we have food stamps and we hardly survive, but still, this guy annoys us with phone calls???????!!! we don't have money for food, but we buy freaking magazines...