Family Dollar / racism/discrimination

1 Lawrenceville, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 0000000

I visited the Family Dollar store approximately 7:30p.m. on December 15, 2009. My five year old son and I entered the store and my son said, Momma can I get a soda(which was in the cooler).I told him yes. Terri the manager who was working at the cash register and who is also the store manager told him that he could not get a soda until he paid for it. She did not communicate that with me, she told my five year old son. I asked her why couldn't he get a soda and she told me that it was the policy that they had to pay for the soda first. I informed her that there was no where on the soda refrigerator that indicated you could not get the soda until you paid for it. She insisted that I had to pay for it first. She said that he could not drink the soda. I asked her what made her think that he was going to drink the soda because he only asked if he could get one. She was very degrading to my son. I told her that my children are not allowed to open things before they pay for it. I don't understand why she felt that my African American son was going to open the soda. I asked her for the number to the Family Dollar Corporate office and she gave me the District manager's number instead of the corporate office and she told me that she was not allowed to give the number out. The number that she gave me was a cell phone number [protected], when I called it no one answered. I had to retrieve the corporate office via internet. This was a very degrading experience for my family and I. She would not give me the number to the corporate office, instead she gave the number to someone else.

The damage that resulted was that my son had to witness the racism and discrimination against him. What happened to him was a typical case of racism. There was not a sign posted that stated that you have to pay for the soda before you get it out of the cooler. She did not give him an opportunity to get to the drink out of the cooler.This should not happen to anyone, especially a child. Policies should be posted and apply to all, regardless of race.

Ja

Comments

• Fr
      15th of Dec, 2009

Just wondering how this Terri person planned on scanning the barcode for that soda without it first being removed from the refrigerator. If they have to leave the register, go get a handheld scanner (a.k.a. a Telzon unit), and manually scan the soda, that's going to keep a lot of customers waiting in line longer than necessary.
    I agree with you. It's discrimination.

• Sc
      15th of Dec, 2009

That is a crazy story if i ever heard one. That should never of happened to you and your family. Thats embarassing and i know what its like to go through something like that. IF you want the justice and protection in your future for you and your family email me at [protected]@prepaidlegal.com and i can help you with your situation.

• I would think that you are allowed to select a soda without paying for it as long as your son did not open it. How is she to scan i otherwise? As for racism, don't know. Perhaps she is a ### to every customer. Unless you saw yourself being singled out because you are African American it isn't racism though it is strange. Racism perhaps, but be 100 percent sure.

• Whether she is crying racism or it was really racism, unfortunately African American's face lots of discrimination, so you can see how easily she can assume it is racism if it isn't.

• Ps
      9th of Oct, 2018

@Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Blacks are NOT the only race to be "so called disriminated " against-I have also seen alot of blacks doing alot of discriminating against other races...I have seen people starting arugments, cursing, throwing temper temdrums and acting like a complete a** and then those holding up the race card...are the ones causing the arguments, or start video recording it ONLY AFTER you acted a fool...stop with the "race [censored] it's so old now...carry that crap some place else...I am sick of hearing "it's because I am black" yadda yadda yadda...people in general are discriminated for being poor, white, fat, tall, gay, bi, uneducated and blacks get more rights than any other race ...so have a seat victim of yourself

@p sunshine AMEN.

That "RACE CARD" is beyond OLD. Furthermore, playing that card is a form of racism against the person being accused of it, because chances are 99% the accused is a different color.

So, just quit the BS, we are all tired of it, and it makes people look LAME.

• Dn
      31st of Jan, 2010
    Best Best Advice

I find it hard to believe that it was because of the color of your skin, perhaps they were doing their job.

Quit complaining and shop somewhere else no one is forcing you to shop there

• Tj
      21st of Feb, 2010

It might have been rude. But it's a fact in retail stores that people take sodas open them and drink em and don't pay for them.

• Br
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I'm sorry but I must agree with Terry Maxim. I work in retail and see it so much that people get a soda and open it and walk around the store drinking it and haven't paid for it. Then walk up to the register and not a word said that they got a soda and pay for some of the things they can't hide on their person. That's the biggest reason our prices keep going up in the stores, because five finger discounts happen everyday by all races. I have personally seen it. It's not one race that's doing it. I would have done the same.

• Am
      10th of Mar, 2010

Two wrongs infront of a five year old is hard to understand and dose not teach them about citizenship and how to treat people. # 1 the afro american is the prejudise on teaching the five year old to say racism in the decusion with the cashier... No excuse. The casher defintly has a problem working with the public and quoting policies that are not posted. And the indiviual who indicated that the bar code reader would have to go to the cooler for every purchase of a soda, is correct. I would give the cashier at least 3 days off work without pay, and if that type of behavior happens again, I would fire them and advise the customer to contact a lawer and discuss what they do to stop the racism. If the store fires them they sould back up the customer who felt they were treated in a racism way. That tye of racism should not be going on in this country. President Obama sure put his foot in his mouth when a police officer was investigating a break in and the Pres said the police are stupid. Skip Gates probably love that statment, read his books and you will find out how prejudice he is . Professor at Harvard possible professor of pres obama, if not mayhave been in a oranization in havard that they were both members.

• On
      11th of Mar, 2010

Playing the typical race card much? LISTEN, whites are now the minority! Stop trying to cry racism!!!

• Le
      31st of Mar, 2010

I to have experience the insanity of Family Dollar judgement its not really prejudice or racism because its really like the store vs the consumer who just want to enter the store to purchase items and sometime need to search out prices thorough comparison shopping. They store asociates sometime view their fellow people as all thieves who aparently have not foiund the thing they want to grab up. This one sided thinking lead all the judgement to befall the innocent victims to be looked at funny, chased around the store, and questioned about their reason for being in the store itself.
    An clear example of this terrorist phobia is if the staff of Family Dollar expected to face a criminal element everday in the store they are so desensitived through the behavior of others
    who do not speak for all but are viewed as representives as such.
    My suggest is that Family Dollar set down with it worker and corporate and tell them the constant fear the have lodged in their head to the point it makes everybody look like the bad guy. The shot first ask questioned later.
    Here a question suppose those same employee who judged others were to lose their job God forbid, but being the economy as it is. What would their actions lead them to do? The very rules that they had enforced in the work environment were they an indepth part of their psyche. Like for example a psychological experiment that would put an employee in the same setting as past consumer or shopper and see how they would react, interact, or handle shopping in a any Family Dollar store. The minute they walk through the Family Dollar store doors they would be marked as a person who would and will steal if given the chance.
    Would that employee who now a civilian (meaning someone who no longer works for Family Dollar)now walk around the store with that set in mind idea to purchase something or a direct item and just find their self by no fault of their own looking up and down the isles
    for that specific item and find their shopping behavior though innocent meant with hostility
    from the people in the Family Dollar store.

• bren gib
    The mother was right at the register and the child did not open the can.

• Su
      9th of Jul, 2010

True, the manager should have handled it better, but there is no way to call that discrimination. The only way to call it that is if another person, whatever the race is, is treated the same way. Is the manager the same way with every customer regarding the soda? I am a store manager of a family dollar, which on my coolers states that the soda must be paid for before beng consumed. The major fault of the manager is that she sould have the signs ordered for the coolers. The other thing she needs is better customer sevice skills

2nd of Nov, 2018

@supporter of family dollar How about ONE BIG SIGN for all the food in the store? I have seen this happen with candy, cookies, etc...

That would apply to EVERYBODY shopping there.

• Th
      17th of Oct, 2010

I was at a Family Dollar in Tulsa Oklahoma In the Gilcrease Hills District on West Edison, as I was standing in line the manager of the store named Becky went behind the cash register and started yelling at the cashier telling her the register had to much money the young lady went on to telling her that she had been swamp and had know help . at this time the line had at least four and she the manager took the money out the register and said we could be robbed with this much money holding the money in the air, she was talking to this emploee bad the employee was just in tears and then she said you are fired! it's something wrong if you fired an epmploye for having to much money in a rfegister that you cannot see and then the manager goes up and wave 500 in the air that;s when you can be robbed so she need to be fired. I feel like this was a wromgful termination and she also fired her in front of all the customers this manager need to go back to training because you do not terminate an employee in front of customers.

• Fd
      19th of Mar, 2011

Family dollar has a history of racism. My wife worked at Family Dollar for a while and when we brought in our beautiful grandchildren who happen to be of mixed race, her manager at the time, Roxanne, made it plain that she hated black and mixed race people and looked down on anyone of color.When my wife complained to the DM she was brushed off and six months later let go on a vague charge of "not following company policy". I witnessed this same woman several times following a black person around like they were a criminal (I'm talking 65 year old black ladies who I personally know to be people of unimpeachable character) while white people were never followed or accosted.She also talked loudly about "having to keep an eye on these people" or "they will steal you blind". My wife and I both filed complaints with the corp.office and were shunted aside to some minor functionary who laughed while taking the report and was never heard from again.This same manager was promoted again and given a bigger store so that should let you know where Family Dollars heart is concerning racism. By the way, my wife and I are both white and I was much more racist than I want to admit until I held my first mixed grandchild in my arms and God washed all that ugly feeling out of my heart and replaced it with love.

• Na
      4th of Oct, 2011

FAMILY DOLLAR MANAGERS AND ASSISTANT MANAGERS ARE ALL RACIST!!! STARTING WITH THE THE LOCATION AT 6830 MIRAMAR PARKWAY MIRAMAR, FL 33023. I WILL BE FILING A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS STORE AND THEIR TERRIBLE EMPLOYEES.

13th of Nov, 2011

White people experience racial profiling too,

14th of Nov, 2011

I want to hear the other side of the story. No one should take online posts posted by anonymous people as gospel.

21st of Dec, 2015

I am an ex assistant manager at Family Dollar what happened was completely wrong please call the Better Business Bureau my mom call your local attorney general they go above the Family Dollar Corporation. do what you can bout against them. There is also an integrity line you can call I can get you that information if you want it. I was recently fired from Family Dollar, for trying to be the best assistant manager I could be for my community. Keep your head up, I'm from the military where race didn't exist. I love everyone. Tried to give customers presents, got in trouble for that too.

21st of Dec, 2015

Please help me you obviously care. I was just fired today, I'm in Minnesota store number 4924. I was fired for calling in sick once since 4 months when I started. I'm an assistant manager or was, of 25 years in retail management experience and a four-year degree in HR management why I received a 3.56 GPA. I have lived in this community for 10 years, Girl Scout troop leader for to troop leater for 4 years. I'm also a cheer mom and they have been for 10 years in this community. My mother is a corporate office manager for a major magazine. For Reader's Digest. She doesn't make $250, 000 a year for nothing so please tell me how do I deal with the lady who fired me?

2nd of Nov, 2018

@Anonymousandupset file a complaint. [ unemployment]

• Ca
      12th of Mar, 2016

Now it's 2016 and the Employees at Family Dollars are still Rude and Racist. I tried to enter the Family Dollar in Lakeland, FL on 98(North Florida).
    Before I could get all the way in the door a young female employee said "sir you need to leave!". I said what's going on, she repeated in a nasty tone "sir leave now", as she pointed her arm outside, I don't believe she could have even seen me clearly considering it looked like 4 employees behind the register and the Sun was directly behind me. I sometimes go to a Family dollar on 92 and Woodland Ave.. in Lakeland, the Manager watches as I go to the beer section any time he is there. Are Family Dollar employees trained to spot people they may not like the looks of or what exactly. The sooner they shutdown the better off this area of Lakeland, FL will be.