Fairpoint Communications / Supreme Idiocy

1 Po Box 1Worcester, MA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-585-4466

On December 23 I called and spoke to "Eric" in customer service to determine why my internet service had been inactivated. After much hunting, searching and asking for supervisor help, he finally explained that my "regulated" services had been disconnected and my account switched to basic services with a new account number back in February of 2008. I have called your company dozens of times over the last year, and not once has anyone explained this to me or informed me that I have two accounts to deal with. Eric transferred me to "Calvin" in DSL, who told me that there was no back due on the DSL service, and I could separate the DSL from my phone service and be billed separately if I paid the back due bill for the regulated services $181.85. He transferred me to the phone payment line, and I made the payment for $181.85 with my credit card, confirmation #180153. My internet service was restored within an hour of that phone call. Little did I know that he had just applied the payment to restore my old phone account, and made no effort to separate the phone and internet service as he had promised me he would do.

A short time later, my internet service was interrupted again. I called and first talked to Jack Newmeyer in customer service, who informed me that my service had been interrupted for non-payment. When I asked him how that was possible, since Calvin in DSL had told me less than 2 weeks ago that I owed nothing for the internet service, he became quite confused and transferred me to "Marilyn" in the credit department. Marilyn was not able to find any record of my payment (which had cleared my bank two weeks earlier) and told me the DSL and phone were never split as Calvin previously stated they would be. She quite rudely said she couldn't help me, then transferred me to VERIZON customer service to have the DSL separated from the phone bill. The VERIZON representative transferred me back to FAIRPOINT, and I spent some time on the phone with Cathy Calden, who could only find the old account under my former name (McDonald account number [protected] 1). She said it was showing as active and could not explain why I had no internet service. She transferred me to VERIZON technical support (not FAIRPOINT) and as soon as a representative came on the line, I was disconnected.

I called back and got "Lisa, " who started the cycle all over again by telling me the service had been interrupted for non-payment. I explained the whole story again, and she said I had to speak to billing. Billing said I have to speak to DSL, DSL says I have to speak to customer service. Finally I got "Greg" on the phone. He informed me that I had to set up a whole new account for a separate DSL account... another bit of news nobody had told me until today. He said it would take a week to set it up... so basically, I would have to go a week without being able to work from home (which is a vital necessity to my job), and to make matters worse I would have to open YET ANOTHER Fairpoint account.

Eventually the issue went to Christina Feller, who communicated with me first by email, and then by phone. She blamed the whole mess on the recent "merger" between FairPoint and Verizon, and I never heard from her again. Since then I have received FOUR bills with FOUR different account numbers, and the latest one claims that my credit card will be charged at the end of this month. I NEVER authorized any direct payment plan on my credit card.

I have emailed Christina five times over the last three weeks and gotten no response. I will be going to my bank tomorrow to stop payment on everything I have sent to them recently and I am quite sure they will retaliate by shutting me off again.

Fairpoint Communications

As

Comments

• Pi
      27th of Feb, 2009

This company is totally inept and should not be in business. I've had the opposite problem for over a month. I am unable to pay my bill because of some security code I need that they never gave me but won't give it to me because I don't have some notice they mailed me but I never received.

I'm in the process of charging back all payments I made to them since August. That should piss them off but who cares? I have a cell phone and Cable Internet now :)

• Ba
      30th of Apr, 2009

HAHAHAHAHA yeah, They turned on a service next door and at the same second my service went out. After many calls, I mean MANY calls, I was assured there was no goof up on their end. And they did call back, problem is, they called the number they turned on and not this one.

What a bunch of bone heads.

• As
      20th of May, 2009

More Supreme Idiocy!

Anyone want an update?

Another few weeks of emails, and I got to Aimee Hiller who agreed to set up my account so I would have ONE bill. I even got a refund for the unauthorized charges on my credit card, and managed to get them to correct my address after six requests. All better, right? Wrong!

3 months later…

After dozens more emails, phone calls and two complaints to the BBB, I received my refund (mailed to the wrong address) and gave up. I figured it was the best they could do and it wouldn’t get any worse. Who was I kidding? Today I received a bill for my internet service, 3 months overdue. Naturally, it was sent to my old address. Turns out Ms Hiller never set up my account for one bill again, and I never received the separate internet bills before today.

Screw this, it's not worth it. I'm switching to Comcast, cable internet and cell phone works for me.