Fafsa.us / Bad service

I have no knowledge as to where this business is operating from. I do know that I filed out what appeared to be an legitimate form for financial aid on the web site www.fafsa.us-cc_info.asp and was asked all my personal information and I complied because I have filled these forms out on many occasions and nothing appeared suspicious, however at the completion of the form I was asked to submit a fee of $80 and asked for my credit card, or checking information. I did not comply as I do know Federal forms for financial aid is free.
They even gave me a reference number.

An

Comments

• Mr
      15th of Jun, 2009

I'd like to agree with MFallon. The FAFSA is free to complete yourself at fafsa.ed.gov but many students despise having to complete it. There are 137 questions that can get confusing and worded odd. One mistake could cost thousands. This is the same idea as a tax preparation service. You may file your taxes yourself for free, but many pay an expert to do it for them. That's what a FAFSA preparer does. I prepare FAFSA's professionally as a preparer, I always inform my clients they may do their FASFA for free themselves, and they are always very satisfied with the service and advising they get. The advising is another important part of a good FAFSA preparation service. More information may be found at http://mr-fafsa.com and also my Ask Mr FAFSA blog http://mrfafsa.blogspot.com
    Unfortunately, FAFAS preparation has gotten a bad rap because of sites that are misleading to students. The student completes all their information, then are asked for a fee. It's an easy mistake to make. If you want to pay someone to do your FAFSA for you, go to http://mr-fafsa.com Also, never give anyone your PIN number. Nobody at your school, or your FAFSA preparer.
    Best of luck!

Tony
    tony@mr-fafsa.com

16th of Jun, 2009

Most students are high school graduates and should be able to figure out a form that's free. There is no need to rip people off and for $80 yet. Most colleges help the student fill it out if they can't do it on their own, but in that case, the student probably shouldn't be going to college. They should return to high school for reading.

On the other hand, maybe I should be doing this for $80 a pop. I could make easy money from suckers too!

A fool and his money are soon parted.

17th of Jun, 2009

MFallon

High school counselors will spend the time if the student goes to them and honestly wants to listen. High School librarians will also help, as well as public librarians. I didn't apply until I went to apply to the college of my choice. I sat in their library and applied on their computers. They had a counselor there to help as well. The financial aid office will also help. It takes a few minutes to fill out the form.

How you can say this is beyond reasoning:

" Some people don't have the interest, time, information, or knowledge to prepare their aid form - particularly incoming first year students and their parents."

If they don't have the interest, the time or knowledge to prepare the financial aid form, maybe they aren't college material? True a lot of parents would rather pay someone because they don't care, are lazy or can't figure it out or are too rich to DYI.

As I said, I can fill them out. I should open a website and charge $75.00 an application. That way I can undercut you and still be successful. Thanks for the idea!

No matter how you look at it, if you offer people an easy way out they will take it. You and I both know that. These kids usually drop out their freshman year. lol

18th of Jun, 2009

MFallon, my name is spelled without an e, thank you. I can see you have a high level of accuracy. :)

Why do you think I'm incapable of running an operation like that? I graduated college on scholarships and federal funding, top 10 in my class. I didn't pay one cent, everything was included. I think I'm smart enough to have the forms reviewed and hire people to help me.

Undercutting your site by $5 will help me get started. :) I can also get government approval. What kind of U.S. law authorized you to charge people for something they can do free at any college's advisor's office. Please show me the law that authorized you.

Thank you.
    Tracy (no e)

• Lo
      13th of Feb, 2010

MFALLON :

Your excuses are legalistic doubletalk, proving you a) have good lawyers, b) have had to defend yourself against these charges before, or both. You certainly spend a lot of time here defending yourself which ought to tell anybody all they need to know.

Legal or not, you are a business and your success is predicated on people stumbling into your site by mistake - missing the fine print which leads anyone to think you are anything but the official site (I did) - and then sticking them with no way of finalizing the submission except to fork over their credit cards, which a certain percentage of people will do, if only to avoid having to go through it all over again.

All of which we understand to be good business for you, but ethically detestable by any other measure.

If I'm mistaken, then how about you do the right thing and change your URL to something truly transparent - how about StudentFinancialAidServices.com?

No? Hmm. Thought not.

Your 450--point error detection checker? That's a computer macro that runs without any human intervention, but which you advertise as professional preparation services.

However, all of the foregoing pales in comparison to the more serious issue of data theft and the fact that it's also legal for you to do all kinds of creative things with a ton of extremely valuable personal information. That's the true nature of web based businesses - the data collected is far more lucrative than the fees involved. But the fact remains that any website which doesn't post the fee on page one is duplicitous on its face.

Did I also miss your privacy policy?

Given the creepy lengths to which you've gone in defending your prerogative to do business in this manner - the fact under your business model thousands of unsuspecting parents pay for the privilege of providing you with an ironclad revenue stream, and you in turn can ship it out the back door to anyone who'll pay for it - I guess we'll all just have to rely upon the intrinsic fairness of the free market and trust that you'll behave yourself with our data.

And please tell me what orifice you pulled this whopper out of:

'High school counselors on average spend 38 minutes a year helping students with college preparation.'

It probably will take a lawsuit to obtain full disclosure of revenue share due to information reselling, but rest assured that some of us are working on it.

4th of Aug, 2010

Fafsa is the worst thing I have ever had to go through and I wouldn't wish this pain and agony on Satan himself! They constantly ask me for paper work and every time they tell me I don't have to send anything else in, it seems they need more and more paperwork and it's a never ending process of being lied to on a constance basis. I prefer dealing with these things by phone with a human being since the website has given me nothing but trouble. The pin website gave me trouble for 3 months to make a pin! The fafsa changes never went through and it's the worst system out there. I'm leaving for college in about 2 weeks and I'm still dealing with misleading hopes and constant struggles. It wasn't a problem when my school took the first $5, 000 payment without aid but to get the aid I deserve after meeting there every wish has been a constant struggle that is disgusting, despicable, time consuming, frustrating, heart-wrenching, pitiful, agonizing, strenuous and an over all a lengthy process. I feel like all that's left for them to ask me is for my arms and legs! I will make it an effort to complain about this system until it is fixed so that when my siblings come to this college age, they won't have to endure the struggles i have endured.

4th of Aug, 2010

I believe the Fafsa i dealt with was Fafsa.edu so if this is the wrong one, sorry, but if not them i'm not sorry...

• Hu
      6th of Oct, 2010

I am a student at Kaplan University and my Fasfa was pulled for review. I didn't know what that meant but it was explained to me that I needed to send in some tax documents, so I did. It turns out that because they pulled my yearly financial aid application for review, my school was not able to obtain the money granted from my loans and I was to pay $2000.00 to be able to attend school. I was literally shut out from my online classes, after asking them several times if I owed money. When I asked why this happened to me, Kaplan basically said that 30% of students get randomly picked by the department of education for review and if the additional documents are not satisfactory (that they requested) my loan money is not accessible and I am responsible for paying the amount that my all ready approved loans were to cover until the dept of edu are satisfied with my application.
    I am a straight A student who has suffered because I was picked at random. I have been a victim of the economy, lost my house, car, partner and mother, and suffered a life threatening injury. Because of the unfortunate things that have happened, I live with a friend; have no job and no skills to get me a job in this economy. I have been shut out from school because of the dept of edu because they randomly picked me and were unsatisfied with the documents. This happened last year in August, I sent in the doc, they shut me out from school in Oct 2009 and the department of education finally was satisfied in JANUARY. I was left with $2000.00 balance to re-enter school, it is now October 2010 and I have finally saved up the money doing some house cleaning and side jobs. I have not eaten for many a night to hope to save enough to go back to school and finally make something of myself. My name is Amanda, I am a Nutritional Science major with straight A's and I am a victim.

• Ka
      9th of May, 2011

UNC Greensboro's calculations for grants based on the information from FAFSA is absolutely ridiculous. I work at a bank and make a little over 20, 000 a year, and that is before taxes. FAFSA only awarded me loans. Now my co-workers attend A & T and GTCC and they make 25, 000 and up and they received pell grants. I will definitely being going up the ladder in complaints and hopefully for future women with income like myself will benefit.

Kahli

• Ss
      6th of Dec, 2012

Well according to the people who say it is a scam should also think Tax perpetration services are also a scam. Nobody is being tricked, they just see what they want to see and don't read.