Fafsa.com / Misleading clients

I incorrectly chose their site (.com vs .gov) to submit a my son's FAFSA data. My mistake for not paying closer attention. However, I don't believe this business should be allowed to use the same Acronym as the actual government site. That is just wrong. That's another story.

Before realizing that I had made a mistake with this page, the site told me that the deadline for submitting my information was the next day. This is absolutely false. I'm confident they are using this misinformation to get me to call any pay them to help in resolving the built in problems they created for me on their site form. Again, very misleading and dishonest.

Again, I accept responsibiity for using the wrong site. Their site may be completely legal, but it should not be allowed to present false information to potential customers to secure their business. Their business is fee for something that is already free. I know this goes on in other situations, but allowing them to use the internet with the same basic URL address as the government's page is wrong.

My two cents.

Rick Richey

Comments

Ka
  29th of Jul, 2010

The above comment is longer to read than a FASFA application, and has almost nothing to do with the original complaint! I sympathize with Rick Richey, because I too used their website mistakenly and now receive emails every few days telling me that my FASFA is incomplete and that my deadline is coming soon. What's more, I can't delete my information, which means that it is being kept on file, including my social security number. I have sent them emails, but have received no response, no help. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a scam, but it's every bt as daunting to fill out the FASFA.com information as it is to fill out the FASFA.gov. In fact, it's practically identical! I have been advised by both FAFSA.gov representatives as well as as student financial aid advisors that a student should NEVER pay for scholarship applications. EVER. Sounds like good advice to me.