EZ Lube / Cabin filter rip-off

1 13421 Washington BlvdMarina del Rey, CA, United States Review updated:

In mid 2007, I went to EZ Lube for a typical oil change + tire rotation per my Acura's maintenance guide. When I got there, they don't offer tire rotation service and they upselled me to change my cabin filter by showing me how dirty it was. I said fine, change it.

Now in July 2008, I go to Jiffy Lube in Westchester and I asked them to check my air filters per my maintenance guide. When they pulled it out, it looked like the air filter EZ Lube "replaced" for me was about 2 inches shorter than it should be. Looks like EZ Lube replaced it alright, but with a different size!!!

DO NOT go to EZ Lube on Washington next to Costco!!!

Va

More EZ Lube Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ir
      13th of Nov, 2008

I went to my EZ Lube in Riverside, Ca. to have my oil change with a coupon for $19.95, $2.00 off with VIP card. I paid before the work was compeleted. I was informed that my card was invalid and that they were no longer using them. When I bought the card orignally I was told that is didn't need to be renewed. They said it would be a few minutes longer. I noticed your well qualified technition using a very large screwdriver on the front of my engine. I went out and asked him what he was doing, He informed me they couldn't find my oil filter underneath, but finally found it in front of the engine. After changing the filter he proceeded to try and force the air filter back onto the outlet. He finally loosened the clamp so he could get it back on. I had to ask him to wipe off the oily hand prints off the engine. They did not use fender covers, when I arrived home I noticed greasy hands prints on both fenders. (car was just washed). I will never return to that EZ Lube again and also neither will my 2 daughters. You need to train you personnel to work on new cars. Worst service I have ever had at EZ Lube. You used to be great, what happened

• Je
      20th of Apr, 2009

Had similar experience with same EZ lube. They offered to sell me the filters for TWICE the dealers cost. When I confronted them, they said at first that I probably got the wrong price. WHen I assured them it was the correct price, he shrugged his shoulder and said "it's your decision, sir". I find this kind of rip off selling of off brand parts despicable. I shall not be using them again. (PS: they also ripped me off by selling me Synthetic for my Hybrid. THe Dealer's cost for replaceing the oil was 30 dollars cheaper!!!

• Th
      20th of Oct, 2009

I was at the EZ Lube on Pico and the I-5 in San Clemente when near the end of my oil change the manager approached me (as usual) with the air filter in hand. I am used to this by now and knew that I did not really need one as it had been replaced within 5, 000 miles or so. This time he also had a `cabin filter' with him. I knew the car had a cabin filter, but was unsure exactly how to access it and how often to change it. I agreed that it looked dirty and inquired as to how much for a replacement. When I was told $69.95 I was shocked at such an amount for a relatively small and simple looking filter. I asked why so much and was told `these are expensive due to the high level of filtration they provide'. I told him that while that may be, but I really couldn't afford it at this time. He gave me a very concerned look and said he worried that leaving it in could introduce bad air into the cabin with possible health issues. He offered a $10 reduction to $59.95.

After a moment of worried thought, I agreed to the $59.95. The car was ready in less than 5 minutes, but my `oil change' went from about $25 to $95.

When I returned home I looked up how to replace the cabin air filter and found that it was easily accessible by opening the glove compartment and pushing a release lever for access to it. A less than 5 minute procedure.

I then went online to search the cost of the cabin filter and found them for $9.40 to 25.95 (dealer price), with the majority being in the $14 range.

I find this kind of deceptive business practice to be dishonest and unprofessional. Though I MAY return for an oil change (as I have no other local low cost alternative), I will NEVER purchase another accessory from EZ Lube again!