EZ Lube / Awful company

I never complain about anything on the internet. But this incident is so bad I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Our 2004 Subaru has always been in perfect condition, never gave us any trouble. We've always done regular maintenance on it and pampered the car. In December 2007, all I went into EZ lube for was an oil change. But in addition to the oil change, they suggested that I replace the power steering belts. And they showed me how there's a crack in mine. So I thought that sounds reasonable, and approved the work.

Immediately after they change the belts, I could tell something was wrong with the power steering. I asked to speak to the manager and he sent me to some auto repair shop in the neighborhood and said they'll take care of it. When I went to the repair shop, they said they can't help us. We went back to EZ lube and asked us to fill out a form. Then we took the car to Subaru dealership to have the power steering looked at.

Subaru said the belts were over-tightened and therefor overloaded and burnt the power-steering motor. Bill came out to $1300. After going to EZLube personally several times and calling them several times, spoke to managers and district supervisor (not to mention an incredibly rude supervisor), we got nothing. So we contacted the district attorney's office and found out they had a hot line and fund set up especially for EZ lube complains. So we filed a complain.

After less than 3 months of the oil change, the engine blew for no reason. We had to call a tow truck to tow it to the repair shop. Turns out, one of the rods broke and we needed a complete engine rebuilt that cosed close to $4000. The repair shop found very low oil level in the engine, and no leaks. The low oil level was the cause of the engine failure. There has been less the 3000 miles driven and less than 3 months since the oil change was supposedly performed at EZLube. So we suspect EZLube never performed the oil change.

We filed another complain with the district attorney's office. 6 months later, the DA office wrote back that since the fund is really for 'EZLube services that they claim to perform but never did', all they can do is refund the service fees and half the cost of the power steering repair. And suggested that we file a complain with the Bureau of Autmotive repair (or something like that). We are still waiting to hear from them.

The DA's office has been wonderful and did more than their job. But we are still out thousands of dollars while we wait. Now we just got a letter that EZLube has filed for bankruptcy.

So please, do yourself a favor, whatever you do, don't take your car to EZLube for anything. Not even something as simple as an oil change. Because they will ruin your car and cost you thousands to fix it.

Sa

Comments

• La
      9th of Aug, 2009

I totally agree with above assessment of EZ Lube. My wife had our transmission ruined by EZ Lube putting wrong fluid in it just 7 thousand miles after it was changed at the Honda dealership. Only 55K miles on odometer and trans is now ruined. She only went in for an oil change. They are a real joke. Also they told me, "Well we didn't hold a gun to her head." I asked if that is an option they are trained to do.
    Larry

• Th
      20th of Oct, 2009

I too agree with above assessments of EZ Lube, but am at a quandary over an acceptable alternate as I think Econo-Lube (my only other low cost alternative) equally poor if not worse. I think (or used to) that EZ Lube was one of the better quick oil change services in my area. I am aware of their problems with the State of California and the complaints filed against them for pushing unnecessary services. That being said, I am (or try ro be) careful when dealing with them. This last visit has left me wondering if I'll ever return.

Near the end of my oil change the manager approached me (as usual) with the air filter in hand. I am used to this by now and knew that I did not really need one as it had been replaced within 5, 000 miles or so. But this time he also had a `cabin filter' in hand. I knew the car had a cabin filter, but was unsure exactly how to access it and how often to change it. I agreed that it looked dirty and inquired as to hwow much for a replacement. When I was told $69.95 I was shocked at such an amount for a relatively small simple looking filter. I asked why so much and was told `these are expensive due to the fine filtration level they provide' I told that that may be, but I really couldn't afford that amount at this time. He gave me a very concerned look and said he worried that leaving it in could introduce bad air in the cabin with possible health concerns. He offered a $10 reduction to $59.95.

After a moment of worried thought I agreed to the $59.95. The car was ready in less than 5 minutes and my oil change went from about $25 to $95.

When I returned home I looked up how to replace the air filter on my car and found that it was easily accessible by opening the glove compartment and pushing a release lever. A less than 5 minute procedure.

I then went online to search the cost of the cabin filter and found them for $9.40 to 25.95(dealer price), with the majority being in the $14 range.

I find this kind of deceptive business practice to be dishonest and unprofessional. Though I MAY return for an oil change, I will NEVER purchase another accessory from EZ Lube again!

• Km
      5th of Dec, 2009

wow how ignorant can you be to judge thee entire company based on one specific stupid shop. and all the shops are not run by the exact same supervisor so before you go out and make accusations about a company make sure you've travel the entire southern california area to each one of the ez lubes and rate their damn costumer service if you will or if what they are doing is what your expecting them to do. before you go judging every single ez lube there is.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

• Km
      5th of Dec, 2009

DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE ITS A BUSSINESS. WITHOUT LABOR COSTS ON THINGS THEY WOULDNT MAKE MONEY..
    SOO IF YOU WANT TO DO FUEL INJECTION CLEANERS YOURSELF OR PREMIUM ENGINE FLUSHES YOURSELF THEN GO AHEAD BECAUSE IN THEE END NONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING ESPCIALLY WITH EVEN AN OIL CHANGE APPARENTLY SOO MY ADVISE STOP NITPICKING. THINK ABOUT LABOR COSTS AND BUSSINESS COSTS ALL YOU THINK IS THAT THE BUSSINESS IS A MULTI BILLION DOLLAR BUSSINESS THAT GIVE YOU EVERY OIL CHANGE CABIN AIR FILTER AND FUEL INJECTIONS SERVICES FOR FREE.

THINK PEOPLE ITS NOT HARD AND IF YOU DONT WANT SOMETHING SAY NO!
    COME ON BE SMART

• Pi
      21st of Dec, 2009

it's apparent that K+M=love is either an employee or stock holder of EZ-Lube. They were such "rip-offs" in my town, they sold both locations. They ask for former customers with complaints to get expensive testing done to prove them wrong, but, they themselves didn't do this "chemical spectro analysis".

• Dr
      23rd of Dec, 2010

EZ LUB BACK ALLEY GREESE MONEYS
    I receive mailings from their massive mailing campaign. The advertised price seemed very fair so I went in for an oil change. It ended up costing me four times more then what they had said and several times more then the Cadillac dealersip. I paid them and two miles later my oil change light came on so I returned. One hour later they removed this signal. The next week my engine light came on. I returned and noticed there was an entire new group of people working there..I asked why everyone looked different. The young manager said "OH" they were all fired for ripping off the company. Interesting! They not only rip off the customer but rip off the company. BAD BOYS AND A GIRL. Back to my storry... He then looked in his greesey bible book to find out what code to use in order to turn off the engine light. He then told me he could not do it. It was very complicated. Sounds high tech to me!!! I went to Cadillac and they were gracious enough not to charge me for there service. Maybe this is no big deal but the BIG DEAL is when I called the district manager at there head office I think in Orange County California. He was very rude to say the least. He wase more concerned about the manager telling me that the previous group was fired. I can see how he sets the tone for his BACK ALLEY GREESE MONKEYS!! I guess I was very fortunate after reading the other complaints. I will keep it that way and never return. SO...if you want to spend more money, run a big risk of damage to you automobile and waist your time, go to EZ Lube. They receive an F in quality of service and an A in marketing.

5th of Dec, 2011

My son, who works very hard for his money, went to EZ Lube for an oil change. They "recommended" that he also should flush his radiator with their high pressure flush treatment, that is unless he wants to have to replace his radiator in the near future. He went with the technicians "recommendation", even though he was there for an oil change not for radiator issues. The next day he noticed he was leaking radiator fluid and upon inspection, found a new crack in his radiator. He immediately returned to EZ-Lube and told them about his situation. they assured him that the radiator must have been leaking before he brought it there because their procedure could not possibly damage his radiator. he insisted that it was in perfect "non-leaking" condition, the technician then said he can't really do anything without manager approval, who was conveniently not there at the time. After repeated visits and numerous phone calls, he did speak with the manager who informed him that he has turned this over to the district manager for his approval to resolve this situation. A few more days went by and the district manager said they are not going to repair his radiator (from the damage they caused) and refused to even refund his money for the radiator flush procedure that damaged his vehicle.
    Now that you see EZ-Lubes "Disrict Manager's" policy, do yourself a favor and NEVER do business with them again!!! There are much better companies out there, that hopefully stand behind there workmanship.