ExpressCameras.com / Shady business practices

United States Review updated:
Do not do any business with these people! Not only do they not send a confirmation e-mail so that you have to call them, but when you DO call them they pull the bait and switch tactic, tryint to get you to buy a more expensive model...they advertised a free gift with each $100.00 purchase, but charge an extra $20.00 "shipping" for it (the gift was advertised as a case, cleaning kit and tripod - upon receiving the tripod found out it was a tabletop measuring about 6" tall!). Customer Service is a joke...the man on the phone told me he'd rather "jump in a lake " than ever talk to me again (I told him to be my guest). Now, I cannot get ahold of them for a RA # (always closed even though hours say differently on the website). THE PLACE IS A JOKE AND A RIPOFF!!!

N  23rd of Aug, 2006 by

ExpressCameras.com - Why do these kind of online shops even exist!

I did some search and did not find bad complains about this company. But soon I got into the same trick again. They emailed me for verbal confirmation, asked me to order charger, etc. I told the salesman immediately to cancel my order, and wish that they would not cause me more trouble.

Why do these kind of online shops even exist?
N  24th of Nov, 2006 by

ExpressCameras.com - fraud, bait and switch, rip-off, crooks

On 11/14/2006 I called expresscameras.com after looking at the web page and looking at a canon 30d camera body at a price of 599.00. I wanted to and some accessories, I was upsold to pro lenses at a total cost of $2399.99 , hi speed memory, rapid charger and 5 hr battery . This was ok. However, when I received my shipment (express shipping @ $100.00). The camera was correct but there was no rapid charger, the lenses were standard low price lenses, the memory was standard and the battery was standard. This company has pulled a bait and switch on me with a added cost of over a $1000.00. Anyone wishing to share their experience with these jerks please email me at expresscamerasripoff@yahoo.com. I would like to see if anyone was a winner.
N  19th of Dec, 2006 by

ExpressCameras.com - not a reputable dealer

This is my inquiry to Sigma Corp. about the Sigma lens I just purchased from Express Camera.

I am in the process of purchasing a new lens for a Canon Rebel XT from Express Camera.

This lens was suggested over the 17-85 Cannon lens for the shown price I have contacted the store to find out why I do not see this lens listed in your catalog at this price? I see the same lens (18-125) at considerable lower price.

The store ad indicates a list price of $1489.99? I was told after placing another call after my order that this particular lens is new and not listed as a part of your lens lineup? Is this true? I was told I would be getting a total new product not yet listed on the Sigma Website by a sales person named Paul.

Their reply

Thank you for your inquiry.

MSPR of this lens is $400.00.

ExpressCamers.com is not our authorized dealer and not a reputable one, either.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Phone: 631-585-1144

Fax: 631-585-1895 or 585-7661

Website: www.sigmaphoto.com

E-mail: info@sigmaphoto.com

Toll Free: 1-800-896-6858

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM EST
N  11th of May, 2007 by

ExpressCameras.com - Hope I saved you!

Found a nikon 18-200 lense about $100 less than anyone else and they had it in stock which most do not at $900. Then I remembered the last time I was buying from this company..they make you call to verify order after placing it. Like they need a 3 digit security code or something like that. The they try to switch you to another lense or add on products. If you dont budge they say they will ship product. weeks and months go by and they will never ship it until you call and cancel order. NEVER buy from these sammmers. Look for thumbs up retailers on cnet or other web searches. Hope I saved you!!!
A  16th of Jun, 2007 by
Regarding Expresscamera.com, I was lured as everyone else. I was first taken by the unbelievable prices ( good). I followed the prices for several weeks before making my decision to buy. The red flags were there, rude sales people (2) before I finally got one that I thought was professional. As I described what I wanted, canon 30D, I was moved to another package and sold up rather than sticking with what I originally planned to purchased. The salesman was supposed to send me a confirmation of my order, but never did. I attempted to call back and my phone call was never returned.I did get what I requested, except for one item and I had to get my credit card company involved and they were very helpful. I spent more than I intended. All of the items are marked up beyond the market. I have no one else to blame but myself and I am still kicking myself.
N  19th of Jun, 2007 by

ExpressCameras.com - Terrible service!

Online camera and accessories sales in Edison NJ:

I contacted ExpressCameras.com via phone and spoke with a sales rep named Edward and asked about a Canon EOS Rebel Xti 400D body, and was told that they did not have any more of the bodies in stock...

But that they had the camera in a 'Package Deal' which included the EOS Xti 400D, and a 'Professional Quality Digital Lens', a '2 GB High Speed Compact Flash Card and High Speed Reader', a 'Professional UV Filter', a 'Deluxe Case', a lens cleaning kit, a screen protector kit, a tripod and a cap keeper. Edward confided in me that this was not even on their web sales, that he was putting this together to accommodate me on my upcoming trip. I got the system shipped express so that I may evaluate and learn about it before my trip, and I was very disappointed to see what my $1,248.98 got me. The 'Secretive Package' that was put together for me consisted of a Canon Rebel Xti 400D, a Sigma 28-70mmDG lens, a Merkury UV Filter, a Dane-Elec 2 GB compact flash card (non High Speed, with a cheap High Speed Sticker affixed), a Merkury High Speed card reader, a Digital Concepts Flash, a Deluxe case (NON Deluxe), screen protectors, lens cleaning kit, tripod and a cap keeper. I checked out the equipment that I received and the camera body, the lens cap keeper, the screen protectors and also the lens cleaning kit were on par with what I was expecting. The "Professional Quality Lens' made by Sigma, which is not a bad buy for $120.00 to $175.00, cost me $599.00 and after consulting 2 different representatives and being lied too about it(Edward stated that it was brand new and not out in the market, but Exceptionally High Professional Quality), I contacted the manufacturer and spoke to a representative and told her of my suspicions and she asked me if I had purchased it from Express Camera.com to which I said I did and she then told me that they had gotten many COMPLAINTS about this company and that the retail of this supposed 'Professional Quality Lens' was a mere $180.00. If that were not bad enough Edward told me that the 'Professional UV Filter' was $99.00, the high quality Merkury UV Filter lists on several sights for as low as $6.99 up to the $20 dollar range. The supposed '2GB High Speed Compact Flash Card' lists on their site for $499.00, lists on other sights for $23.99 up to the $40.00 range (the one I received was not the High Speed and list from $17.99 to the $30.00 range). All in all I am a fairly considerate and well tempered and mannered person, and I was VERY CALM when I contacted ExpressCamera.com and was treated VERY Unprofessional by Several of their representatives and LIED to by more than one also. I tried to work with them till the point of keeping some of the equipment but in the end decided to NOT do business with them and would NOT recommend them to ANYONE. I am now playing a waiting out game with them to send me an RMA to send the equipment back to them the next day after receiving it and they decide not to answer the phone or let it stay in the hold loop for upwards of 15 minutes at a pop and then hang up only to have to redial and get in the ridiculous loop of messages and even after sending in a request via E-mail to their web address have yet to get them to issue the RMA. Seems that they are reluctant to do so even though Edward stated that they could really use the camera back to sell to some one else (even though he admitted that the persons releasing the RMA were VERY BUSY, Imagine that). So as it stands now I have a camera that I do not want, a supplier that states that they want it back to sell, and I am unable to accommodate them by returning it to them so that they can re-sell it (must be the Very Busy RMA process).

Unhappy and Wiser,
Danny Landry.
A  28th of Jun, 2007 by
I had a very similar experience with expressCameras.com, they make you call for confirmation of your card 3 digit # then run a classic bait and switch. They quickly ran my bill up $300 dollars with "must have" accessories. When I told the sales shark "Chris" that I would like to but the order on hold to do a little research on the accessories he was recommending (slamming down my throat) he got rude. He canceled my order and said I could never do business with Express Camera.com and hung up on me. Jack ###!

N  3rd of Jul, 2007 by

ExpressCameras.com - Internet fraud

This is the story of my internet fraud case with Expresscameras.com. On or about Tuesday, June 25, 2007, I ordered a Canon EF 100-400 telephoto lens on the internet from Expresscameras.com for $1139. During the week, I received several emails to contact Expresscameras.com to “confirm” my order. Because they work only “normal” working hours, they were always closed when I called back after work.

On Tuesday, July 3, at about 1230, I received a call at work from Nick, a salesman at Expresscameras.com. He told me that my wife had confirmed the order for the lens and also had bought a package of additional equipment. The total was now over $3300. I told him that’s ridiculous, she didn’t order that. I told him to cancel the order and his response was: “No.”

I hung up on Nick and canceled the credit cards as fast as I could.

My wife later told me that she had an animated conversation with the salesperson Nick, who would not take no for an answer. She never ordered any additional equipment in the form of a “package” or otherwise. She repeatedly told him to send only the lens we had ordered. In frustration, she finally told him that she was no longer interested in any order of any kind, and to call me if he wanted to talk to someone.

An interesting part of the scam is that when my original credit card number could not be charged the whole amount (it has a $1500 daily limit), Nick asked my wife for another card telling her that the original card number “wouldn’t go through.” He then proceeded to charge $1500 on the original card, and the remainder on the new card.

Here is a list of what I consider criminal activities:

1) Expresscameras.com billed our credit cards for several thousand dollars of equipment we did not order. They charged our cards $3300 when we had only ordered one lens for $1139 and lied to me (told me my wife had ordered the “package”) to carry it off.
2) Expresscameras.com lied many times to both my wife and myself about how our (Canon) camera was inadequate for the (Canon) lens we had ordered and that we needed a new camera. I wish I had a tape of that conversation.
3) They told me several times that I could not cancel the order.
4) On about the sixth call (when put on hold, I would hang up and call again) I got someone to agree to cancel the order. However, I would have to be charged a $329 cancellation charge. I have looked all over their website, and can’t see that policy anywhere.
5) I believe (though can’t prove) that Expresscameras.com never had any intention of sending me the lens for the advertised price. It was pure bait and switch.

We’ll see where it goes from here.
A  5th of Jul, 2007 by
I just got the same problem with express.com with the guy name Peter Handers, Chris and Adam??? with the same voice actually!; I canceled the product by phone and by email several times; and they sent the product anyway that totally different than my original order and of course over charge! I don't receive yet the products because they just sent it today morning (July 5, 2007) from NJ to California.

My questions; should I call the RMA # first and than return the product after that or I just reject the product and ask the delivering company to return it right away to the address (Express Company) without sign any receiving document? I am completely so unwise for ordering the Nikon D200 from expresscamera.com. They fooled me!
N  7th of Jul, 2007 by

ExpressCameras.com / BestPriceCameras.com / FotoConnection.com - ExpressCameras.com are crooks!

These companies have a very bad reputation pull the BBB report on them (free) you will see! Even though they claim excellent prices and claiming they have them in stock they do not! I'm trying since February this year and always I got the same response, put the order on the internet they say... when I ask them if they have them in stock they say they don't... and give dates to call back to check on availability!!! Same response all the time... no stock!! What happened if I put the order and paid with credit card??? Probably I can cancel but imaging the headache... try yourselves... but do not buy anything from them... see again the Better Bussiness Bureau report on these crooks! You ll be surprise...
N  23rd of Jul, 2007 by

ExpressCameras.com - Take advantage of amateur shoppers

Edison, New Jersey
Sales Person: Nick McCormick 1-800-239-8161 ext 238

My experience with www.expresscameras.com started with my order of a Nikon D200 professional camera kit that included 2GB of memory card, card reader, two batteries, three piece filter, battery charger, and two Nikon lenses, training video, camera strap, carrying case, 2 year extended warranty for $1877.96. This was charged to my American Express card. Keep in mind the Nikon D200 w/ Professional Package started at $979.

This order was placed on July 3rd. The next day, the sales representative named Nick McCormick called and started his pitch. He played his role as being extremely concern with my satisfaction and started providing some suggestions that I change my order specifications. For instance, he asked that I change the 28-105mm lens to 28-80mm lens saying it is better. Then, instead of the multi charger, he asked that I change the order to a single charger. After this order, he then advise that the total cost of my total order is now $2497.14. This was quite an increase. His explanation is that he had to add processing fee, retail mark-up, and other related "charges". He added the "bs" explanation that he is providing me with magnesium body in lieu of the standard "plastic made in China" camera body. [This magnesium body vs. plastic body was a similar line given by Fotoconnection.com] I fell for the pitch and I am currently regretting it.

In my mind, if I order something based on the initial order, I should be given what I order. This whole experience is making me believe that internet "discount" camera stores such as Express Cameras.com take advantage of amateur shopper. I have learned this lesson dearly, and will never place an order like this again. I will make the seller earn my business by going to my neighborhood shop. At least this way, if I'm not satisfied, I can always resolve the dispute in person.

Dissatified Express Cameras.com Former Customer
A  2nd of Aug, 2007 by
Same problem, tried in vain to call and cancel order. Put on hold for at least 15 minutes each time. finally I got a hold of them and they said the order was shipped. Well, my CC company had not been charged and I put a "NO Payment" order on them indefinitely.
N  22nd of Oct, 2007 by
I ordered the Nikon D80 "preferred" package, then called to confirm that my order was indeed placed. The salesman, Gary, said that it was placed, but which battery did I want to purchase, because it only came with a "complementary" 20-minute disposable battery? I told him that was ridiculous, that all cameras came with a battery. He said no, but he would sell me the battery for $199. I told him I'd call him back. I found that the battery typically went for between $25-45. I called him back, asked a few more questions, then cancelled my order. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS! RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET FIRST!!!
N  3rd of Dec, 2007 by

ExpressCameras.com - ExpressCameras.com are crooks!
1090 King George Post Road Suite 307
New Jersey
Phone: 800-772-0136

STOP STOP RIGHT NOW! CROOKS with a website! Do NOT buy anything from Express Camera, you might think the price is reasonable but you will lose when it comes to service and product quality.

I bought a camera online then I get this car salesman guy named George talk circles around me about this and that and talked me up to 1400 worth of little things when I only wanted to spend 500. Then when I go and price out all the little things he added it was WAY less then what they charge. Then I call the next day to cancel my order and they tell me it had already been shipped which was a lie because they never gave me a tracking number, you have to call just to get that information. Then I get it, I open only the outside of the box to get the receipt to call to get a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. I talked to this little punk kid who tried to talk me out of getting the FULL refund I am entitled to and he says he can't. I ask why, he says it's because I already used it, I never opened anything except the outside box or said anything about using it. I lose it because I never said anything like it and he now wants to argue with me about something I am fully entitled to. He asks why I'm returning it and I said it wasn't what I wanted and want a different model. He then tells me the camera package I want isn't available and that I could exchange it for the same price. I say no and here it is, he tells me I can't order from them for another 6 months. CRAZY!

Customer service is AWFUL and the whole experience was so aggravating.

Trust me go to E-cost or somewhere else!
N  27th of Apr, 2009 by

ExpressCameras.com - Scam
Express Cameras.com

I first tried to tried to order the Canon 30D with two Canon lenses (24-70 and 70-200 2.8) along with the speedlite430EX flash unit. Afterwards, I realized they offered a "Presidential Package" with the camera and both lenses for several hundred dollars less. I called to cancel the original order and "Charlie" said he'd make note of it on the account. He never said it WAS canceled. Just that he'd make a note of it. I went back online to place the order for the presidential package and flash as a new transaction. I got a phone call from "Nick, " a supervisor, who called to confirm the order. He said that the items I'd bought elsewhere already for the camera (batteries, filters, etc) wasn't going to work. I knew it was a lie. Further, he directed me to go to their website and look up two sigma lenses that he said were SO much better than the Canons I had in mind. Sounded fishy, so I questioned it and he he continued to say how much more they were worth and how they were optimized for digital and the Canon's weren't, showed the sale prices, which, by the way, I found out were grossly inflated after the fact when I got to go to the Sigma website. After much pressure, I OK'd the changes..., to the tune of and extra $600! I realized afterward that it didn't even include the flash! I tried to call them back ASAP and they were closed. The next morning, I called them as soon as they opened and continued trying to get a hold of someone for an hour and a half, with multiple call-backs after being put on hold for extremely long periods of time, getting messages they weren't open after being transfered when I did manage to get a live person and being flat-out hung up on. Realizing they weren't going to allow any cancellations, I called my credit card company and after some consultation, decided it was in my best interest to close the account so they couldn't charge it and to start over with a reputable company. If the price online is much less than companies such as Adorama or B&H, it's likely too good to be true.
N  12th of Apr, 2011 by

ExpressCameras.com - Bad service

I was one of the unfortunate ones to make a purchase of Nikon D80 from Express Cameras. Not only were the products lacking in quality, which is not normal for Nikon products. However, I got the same bull story as nearly everyone does, about quality, service, etc. The "no-service" rep actually told me to shut up and listen... he would not let me get a word in just kept talking over me... very rude. Total disregard for any customers.

I have a problem with the camera I got and am sure I'll never get it fixed or replaced through them because of the time stuck on the phone, (tried several times already, and was hung up on each time)

The products that were sent were mostly very cheap, low quality items even though I was told "deluxe" or higher quality, better, etc.

Let this help serve as a warning to anyone thinking of purchasing anything from them... never never never purchase anything through ExpressCameras.com