Expo Electronics / Bait + Switch

1 Wayne, NJ, United States Review updated:

I had my first dealing swith Expo Electronics in Wayne, NJ on Black Friday, 2008. Not having dealt with this place at all, I didn't know what to expect, but the prices . After 4 hours of waiting they claimed they were sold out of the product I was looking for. OK fair enough. But then I returned the next day (1st one there as the door opened) because they had yet another enticing deal. What do you know - "Sorry, we don't have any of those left...", despite the ad saying "200 pieces available". Surely 200 people didn't sneak ahead of me. They said, "that's 200 pieces in all of our stores". OK, even so - they only have a 1/2 dozen stores in NJ and all stores just opened - I don't buy it.

But what do you know? They offered me a "substitue" - a no-name brand for the same price. Or, they would offer me a name brand at 25% more than the one I want.

Total scam artists - classical bait and switch. I'm surprised that a place like this still operates (that is from a legal standpoint and a willingness for consumers to still put up with this type of thing).

Mh

Comments

Se
  2nd of Dec, 2011
Expo Electronics - Bait & Switch
Expo Electronics
New Jersey

Printed advertisement said: “Friday only, 9am-11am!” I arrived at 7:15am and was told there were already sold out and had actually started selling them at 5am…
After pointing out their false advertising they agreed to let me pay for the TV at the advertized prize and I could pick it up the following Wednesday in the store when they were restocked. I felt they had dealt with the situation well at this point and was satisfied. I was told I would receive a phone call when the TV came in.
No call was received; I called them the following Friday and was informed that it would be on backorder for another 2 weeks. When I pressed for a specific delivery time I was told they couldn’t give me one, I asked if this meant it could be three months or maybe never, and was told that he couldn’t give me a time... it appears that never, was actually the answer. What he could do however was sell me another LG TV for $799! (the one I ordered was $595) or he could sell me a Toshiba for about the same price. Both TV’s I was offered I could find for less online than he was offering.
I have now waited 10 days for a TV and missed out on all of the other good deals that were offered by various stores as I thought I had already purchased one. They refunded my money and frankly, couldn’t have cared less about the whole situation.
More fool me for thinking a store would honor their advertising and try to win customer loyalty. I suppose they have won some customer loyalty though… I will loyally ensure that no-one I know ever shops there.