Explore USA / This bogus Company offers fake $25 gift cards

Whenever you order something from a television infomercial, you get a tag on the end of your call, offering you a free trial to Explore USA or Value Plus. Just for signing up for this "free trial" you are supposed to get a $25. gift certificate. You are sent a non-existent online address to get the form for your gift card. The billing on your credit card will be real, just the $25. gift certificates are bogus. What a waste of time -canceling the stupid "services" that are probably even more bogus than the free certificate for trying the monthly services. My thanks to Elizabeth Collins, director of marketing. Are you fake, too?

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Na
      14th of Jan, 2007

I was told to pull up their web site to file for my gift card and their web site does not exist. Called 18004751942 and cancelled my membership.

7th of Feb, 2007

They called my work one day and offered a subscription to some magazines and said that i would be billed monthly and when my subscription was up they asked did I want to renew my subscription and I told them no and they have still been taking money out of my account b/c they have my debt card number and they have also been charging 1 dollar a lot on my account I called them today they said they would refund this months amount of money but not the rest bc they didn't show where I had cancelled my acct I told them that I have called twice on this and they said that they would send me a cancellation notice to my e-mail address and then refund this months worth of money only and so i actually cancelled my debt card that way they wouldn't be able to get to it anymore and I still haven't received an e-mail and they still haven't refunded my money. I found out about them being fraudulent today on this website so I am glad that this is up here or I wouldn't have known.

• Am
      29th of Mar, 2007

I received a phone call from explore usa telling me i was entered into a sweepstakes. And also i would receive a 25 dollar wal-mart card and a 25 dollar gas card. Now i receive a letter telling me to go online to get only the 25 dollar gift card. When i go online the website www.iexploreusa.com/gcform apparently don't exist and i also can not get ahold of anyone to cancel this membership so i am not charged 16.95 a month. This is B*ll [censored]!!!

• Te
      17th of May, 2007

Explore Usa - I never signed up to this company and am being charged for it.

• Br
      8th of Jun, 2007

This is bogus, I payed 1.00 dollar and was promised a gift card, all they do is wait the 30 day trial period out before you can receive a gift card, but first they wanna charge 16.95, what a deal.. YEAH RIGHT

10th of Aug, 2007

WC Explore USA has been taking out $16.95 out two times each month! I didnot authorize them to do this and I just now started finding areas like this. I e-mailed them and someone sent me an e-mail back saying she didn't know what I was talking about!. That is about $34.00 a month they are stealing from me and I don't like it one bit! Can someone please help me to talk or e-mail someone with authority with this scamming company so I can get this stopped? Thank you for letting me vent!

• Ca
      11th of Aug, 2007

all the same for me,but they had told me that it would be TWO ,$25.00 gift cards what a bunch of bull,they said i had 30 days to try it & after that it will be 16.95 monthly.But they called me again before my 30 days was even up!! And i hadn't even received the first and was calling me AGAIN AND I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED THE FIRST ONE!!! They wanted it to go over 30 days so they could charge me 16.95.

• Ro
      3rd of Oct, 2007

Explore USA, a/k/a "Value Plus" taking $16.95 TWICE a month out of my credit card UNAUTHORIZED! For 4 months until I caught it and immediately called the 1-800 number and canceled.

3rd of Oct, 2007

I've already talked with my attorney about these phoney people in the internet after being victimized last month(Sept.11'07)OF ALL DAYS; and THIS so-called company need to start GIVING BACK to people their money on the credit cards that they were UNauthorized to charge from. A lot of people were charge many various amounts; some were $25.00, $16 or $17.99 and even $1.00 three different times in ONE DAY, what for , I have no idea! I call MY credit card customer service to clear THAT MESS up real quick and my cards were credited back money. It wasn't a lot of money, but that's beside the point! It's the principle of the fact that this company was bogus from the beginning. Explore USA really had a lot of nerve to think people weren't going to retaliate about a phoney business! Especially, when times are hard as it is to feed your families and it's getting so close to the holidays!

• Em
      21st of Sep, 2007

I just got called from these people. They said I get a diamond watch and subscribe to 4 different magazines for $62.40 a month for 16 months which I could get the same magazines for cheaper so it is a rip off. I was also told I would be receiving a $25 Walmart gift card and about $600 in grocery coupons so I am thinking after reading these comments that it is not ligit. So I just called them back to cancel and they say I have to wait at least a week

3rd of Oct, 2007

I got a notice stating to go to this website to fill out a form to receive mt $25.oo gift card and THIS SITE pops up requesting me to submit this complaint. What's the deal?! I have to complain BEFORE I get the card? Is it THAT MUCH OF A HASSLE to get this so-called $25gift card?! I just got this notice from the mailman a couple of weeks ago and now when I login; I get the surprise, alright; I get to see what other people are saying about this whole service! I didn't know anything was going on like THIS! Everything these people were saying is the EXACTELLY the same problems I having right now of trying to use the services of EXPLORE USA. I STILL WANT MY $25.oogift card even if it IS bogus, somebody shoud be distridbuting them out RIGHT NOW as I'm writhing, because I already have lawyers looking into how me and my husband have been victimized be these so phoney people on the internet!

22nd of Jan, 2008

I also had an unauthorized charge of $16.95 to my account. I called the cancellation line 1-800-475-1942 and was on hold for 20 minutes. When someone finally answered I explained I would like whatever membership they are claiming I have to be cancelled. I was then put on hold a second time for 15 minutes. When they finally came back to the phone I was told that an e-mail confirmation would be sent showing the cancellation. I then told them that I want the $16.95 charge reimbursed to my account immediately. I was told that it would be within three days. I'll have to wait and see. Make sure you tell them that you want the charges reimbursed or you will never see it. They definitely will not volunteer it. This company needs to be shut down permanently.

• Gr
      19th of Feb, 2008

Unlike some other complaints regarding Explore America, I did get to speak to a real human. HOWEVER! Even though they said they would refund the unwanted expense on my card they did not, instead I continued to get a monthly charge. My credit card has a protection plan where I believe that I can block future charges and perhaps get a refund. I suggest others check into their credit card policies.

4th of Mar, 2008

They got me too. Bigtime scam.

• Mb
      30th of Apr, 2008

I WAS CHARGED 16.95 TODAY, WHICH POSTED ON MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AS " CHKCARDWC *EXPLORE USEA800-47542 MNUS ". I IMMEDIATELY CALLED 800-475-1942 AND THE PERSON ANSWERING ASKING FOR MY NAME & ZIP CODE. SHE HAD ALL MY PERSONAL INFO-NAME, HOME ADDRESS & EMAIL. SHE SAID I HAD TO OF PURCHASED SOMETHING ONLINE (which I did NOT), ORDERED FROM A TV AD (which I did NOT) OR ORDERED FROM A PHONE CALL TO MY HOUSE (which I did NOT). SHE ASKED RIGHT AWAY IF I WAS CALLING IN REGARDS TO THE EXPLORE USA DISCOUNT PROGRAM OR WAS I CALLING TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP. (Nice, they must be getting TONS of calls for cancelation of memberships, because nobody has ordered anything legitimately!) I TOLD THE GIRL THAT I DON'T HAVE A TV, I DON'T HAVE A HOME PHONE, & I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO ORDER "ANYTHING" ON LINE AT THIS TIME. SHE LAUGHED AND TOLD ME I MUST HAVE. (Great customer service!) OK...WELL THEN, I MUST HAVE!!! I TOLD HER TO CANCEL THE SO CALLED MEMBERSHIP. I HUNG UP AND CALLED RIGHT BACK BECAUSE I FORGOT TO ASK HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR THE CREDIT TO SHOW ON MY BANK ACCOUNT. THE GAL THAT ANSWERED ASKED ME RIGHT AWAY IF I WAS CALLING TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP...funny that this so called legitimate company has their employees asking this questions first...must be a common occurance. ANYWAY, A CREDIT SHOULD POST TO MY BANKING ACCOUNT WITHIN 72 HOURS. WHAT A SCAM!!!

14th of Jul, 2008

I also was duped by the free $25 giftcards they were allegedly offering, and I found that I was being billed $25 twice on my credit card two months in a row. When i called the number to cancel my 'memberships' the first operator was very rude, cut me off when I was giving my information, then screamed at me, then said whatever and hung up. This was surprising because I hadn't even had a chance to talk, let alone provoke this kind of response. Like the poster who posted just before me, when I got a hold of another operator, she asked if I was calling for one of two reasons, I forgot what the first reason was, and the second reason was if I wanted to cancel my membership. Any good business would try their damnedest to keep customers, the fact that this question was asked amazed me.

Anyhow, the operator I talked to was friendly, and cancelled my memberships, and also put in for me to get refunded for my two charges of $25.

• Bi
      7th of Sep, 2008

I had an $89.99 charge placed by this company on my credit card. Well, I had never heard of the company and had never authorized the charge. I filled out a fraudulent charge complaint with my credit card company. I tried to call the number of this Explore USA company that was given with the charge. I could never get through, but they were giving a tape with a web address:

I filled out that form a number of times and each time received a response that I had successfully cancelled. That message gave me an email address for them--something like [email protected] So I sent them a diatribe about how I had never heard of them and I had no idea how they had gotten my credit card number, etc. and how I had reported this to my credit card company. The charge occurred August 29 and I discovered it August 30. Today, September 7--my credit card has been reimbursed.

I agree, this company needs to be shut down. And I still have no idea how they got my credit card number.

• Li
      20th of Sep, 2008

I HAD A CHARGE OF 19.95 TO MY DEBIT CARD. SO I CALLED THEM AND ASKED WHO THEY WERE AND WHY THAT CHARGE WAS THERE, THEY SAID THEY WOULD REFUND ME MY MONEY AND NEVER DID.

• Da
      25th of Oct, 2008

Actually I have received that same fee. When i did call to cancel it they said no problem. But the Big problem is this, Im still getting charged after i canceled and they are telling me that they show me canceled. If your having this problem I would call you bank and tell them to stop all payments to them.e

28th of May, 2009

i disputed charge with my card company & they said it was valid. Called to cancel membership & oddly enough itwas already cancelled. atleast they got their money first.