Explore USA / This bogus Company offers fake $25 gift cards

Whenever you order something from a television infomercial, you get a tag on the end of your call, offering you a free trial to Explore USA or Value Plus. Just for signing up for this "free trial" you are supposed to get a $25. gift certificate. You are sent a non-existent online address to get the form for your gift card. The billing on your credit card will be real, just the $25. gift certificates are bogus. What a waste of time -canceling the stupid "services" that are probably even more bogus than the free certificate for trying the monthly services. My thanks to Elizabeth Collins, director of marketing. Are you fake, too?

Comments

• He
      7th of Jan, 2008
    Explore USA - unauthorized credit card charges
    Explore USA
    Chula Vista
    California

Unauthorized charges 12/13/07 for monthly membership of 16.95 Explore USA and anauthorized charges 12/13/07 for "ESS for Home Monthly" (same phone number) of 16.95. Phoned number and was told would receive 'confirmation of credit and cancellation "within 48 hours" by "Candice." To date have received nothing.

• Ta
      22nd of Jan, 2008

I also had an unauthorized charge of $16.95 to my account. I called the cancellation line 1-800-475-1942 and was on hold for 20 minutes. When someone finally answered I explained I would like whatever membership they are claiming I have to be cancelled. I was then put on hold a second time for 15 minutes. When they finally came back to the phone I was told that an e-mail confirmation would be sent showing the cancellation. I then told them that I want the $16.95 charge reimbursed to my account immediately. I was told that it would be within three days. I'll have to wait and see. Make sure you tell them that you want the charges reimbursed or you will never see it. They definitely will not volunteer it. This company needs to be shut down permanently.

• Gr
      19th of Feb, 2008

Unlike some other complaints regarding Explore America, I did get to speak to a real human. HOWEVER! Even though they said they would refund the unwanted expense on my card they did not, instead I continued to get a monthly charge. My credit card has a protection plan where I believe that I can block future charges and perhaps get a refund. I suggest others check into their credit card policies.

4th of Mar, 2008

They got me too. Bigtime scam.

• Mb
      30th of Apr, 2008

I WAS CHARGED 16.95 TODAY, WHICH POSTED ON MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AS " CHKCARDWC *EXPLORE USEA800-47542 MNUS ". I IMMEDIATELY CALLED 800-475-1942 AND THE PERSON ANSWERING ASKING FOR MY NAME & ZIP CODE. SHE HAD ALL MY PERSONAL INFO-NAME, HOME ADDRESS & EMAIL. SHE SAID I HAD TO OF PURCHASED SOMETHING ONLINE (which I did NOT), ORDERED FROM A TV AD (which I did NOT) OR ORDERED FROM A PHONE CALL TO MY HOUSE (which I did NOT). SHE ASKED RIGHT AWAY IF I WAS CALLING IN REGARDS TO THE EXPLORE USA DISCOUNT PROGRAM OR WAS I CALLING TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP. (Nice, they must be getting TONS of calls for cancelation of memberships, because nobody has ordered anything legitimately!) I TOLD THE GIRL THAT I DON'T HAVE A TV, I DON'T HAVE A HOME PHONE, & I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO ORDER "ANYTHING" ON LINE AT THIS TIME. SHE LAUGHED AND TOLD ME I MUST HAVE. (Great customer service!) OK...WELL THEN, I MUST HAVE!!! I TOLD HER TO CANCEL THE SO CALLED MEMBERSHIP. I HUNG UP AND CALLED RIGHT BACK BECAUSE I FORGOT TO ASK HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR THE CREDIT TO SHOW ON MY BANK ACCOUNT. THE GAL THAT ANSWERED ASKED ME RIGHT AWAY IF I WAS CALLING TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP...funny that this so called legitimate company has their employees asking this questions first...must be a common occurance. ANYWAY, A CREDIT SHOULD POST TO MY BANKING ACCOUNT WITHIN 72 HOURS. WHAT A SCAM!!!

14th of Jul, 2008

I also was duped by the free $25 giftcards they were allegedly offering, and I found that I was being billed $25 twice on my credit card two months in a row. When i called the number to cancel my 'memberships' the first operator was very rude, cut me off when I was giving my information, then screamed at me, then said whatever and hung up. This was surprising because I hadn't even had a chance to talk, let alone provoke this kind of response. Like the poster who posted just before me, when I got a hold of another operator, she asked if I was calling for one of two reasons, I forgot what the first reason was, and the second reason was if I wanted to cancel my membership. Any good business would try their damnedest to keep customers, the fact that this question was asked amazed me.

Anyhow, the operator I talked to was friendly, and cancelled my memberships, and also put in for me to get refunded for my two charges of $25.

• Bi
      7th of Sep, 2008

I had an $89.99 charge placed by this company on my credit card. Well, I had never heard of the company and had never authorized the charge. I filled out a fraudulent charge complaint with my credit card company. I tried to call the number of this Explore USA company that was given with the charge. I could never get through, but they were giving a tape with a web address:

I filled out that form a number of times and each time received a response that I had successfully cancelled. That message gave me an email address for them--something like [email protected] So I sent them a diatribe about how I had never heard of them and I had no idea how they had gotten my credit card number, etc. and how I had reported this to my credit card company. The charge occurred August 29 and I discovered it August 30. Today, September 7--my credit card has been reimbursed.

I agree, this company needs to be shut down. And I still have no idea how they got my credit card number.

• Li
      20th of Sep, 2008

I HAD A CHARGE OF 19.95 TO MY DEBIT CARD. SO I CALLED THEM AND ASKED WHO THEY WERE AND WHY THAT CHARGE WAS THERE, THEY SAID THEY WOULD REFUND ME MY MONEY AND NEVER DID.

• Da
      25th of Oct, 2008

Actually I have received that same fee. When i did call to cancel it they said no problem. But the Big problem is this, Im still getting charged after i canceled and they are telling me that they show me canceled. If your having this problem I would call you bank and tell them to stop all payments to them.e

28th of May, 2009

i disputed charge with my card company & they said it was valid. Called to cancel membership & oddly enough itwas already cancelled. atleast they got their money first.

• La
      1st of Feb, 2014

i also was charged 29.95 from them and did not agree to any membership. they might of got the 29.95 but thats all they will ever get since i deleted that card and got a different one...