Expediascam advertisement

My wife recently booked a flight using Expedia, and she purchased the flight insurance in case she needed to change her plans. As it turned out, the dates of her conference were changed, and she had to change the dates of her flights. When we called Expedia, they told us that the flight protection plan only covers medical issues, not other reasons for changing flights. Expedia's various web sites include a confusing array of flight protection plans that cover a variety of things ranging from changing flights for any reason to the more restrictive medical only plan that she apparently purchased. In looking through their booking process, they do not make it clear at all that this particular flight protection plan has these restrictions. This was also the only option offered.

Expedia seems to take advantage of the fact that flight protection plans have traditionally allowed changes for any reason, and they do not tell you about their particular restrictions unless you click through various stages of fine print. This is misleading, and they should make the restrictions more clear.

Comments

• El
      Jun 29, 2007
    Expedia - confusion on flight info

I booked airline reservations with Expedia in 02/07 for travel in 05/07. The night before my travel was to start I went on Deltas website to confirm the status of my flight. What I learned was the flight # on my itinerary was leaving from Miami at 11 something in the afternoon and not from Tucson at 7:40 a.m. A call to Delta showed my family was confirmed on a flight leaving from Tucson& was given the correct flight info but was told to contact "Continental Airlines" to have them make the changes. " When asked why, I was told because they "own the paper?" Instead I called Expedia who I paid for the tickets & explained what I was just told. I talked to a Customer Service Rep who barely had the command of the english language. After explaining what Delta told me, I spent 10 more minutes having the Expedia rep tell me "that's not right" and "don't listen to what they say because the information on your itinerary is correct. I became upset and finally said "I will report as stated and that if I had any problems with my flight I would definitely be contacting them and they would come to learn my name!!! This motivated the young gentleman to state that he would contact Delta and get back to me. After another 60 mins I received a phone call and was told that my flight info had changed and I need to report earlier and now had a new flight number. Although all worked out fine, I WON'T be booking with them again. I cringe everytime I think about what would of happened if I had not checked the flight info the night before. I would of missed my flight and my family wouldn't have got to meet my new granddaughter!!! This company is not very reliable.

• Be
      Oct 01, 2007
    Expedia - expedia is a fraud!
    United Kingdom

Expedia sold us a connecting flight package that was invalid and could never be fulfilled because insufficient time was built in for transfer onto an international flight to USA, as well as there never having been an agreement between the two airlines involved to transfer our luggage.

Expedia left us stranded at Manchester airport for 2 days, failed to return our telephone calls, and left it down to us to transfer ourselves onto new flights. Despite agreeing to pay our out-of pocket costs (around £800) two months later we have received NOTHING, and they are still refusing to speak to me in person about this matter. Their PR manager has tried to be helpful, but has singularly failed to deliver.

I am told over the phone that the matter is being dealt with but not one person has had the wit or common business sense to pick up the phone and deal with me.

• Cl
      Nov 10, 2007
    Expedia - waiting time!
    Canada
    www.expedia.ca

I have received an e-mail from expedia stating that I should call them because something changed in my itinerary for a flight I have booked through them. While someone answered right away I was transferred to another department which supposedly is "the only one” who can deal with this type of issues. After being on hold for 1 hour and 10 minutes I figured something was wrong and called back. The customer service representative who answered told me that I had to wait and that there was nothing she could do to help me. Meanwhile she could only tell me that the changes in my flights were a 5 minutes earlier departure time for one of the flights and a 3 min earlier arrival time for the other. I inquired why such information could not simply be sent via E-mail since it did not really affect anything in my connection time. Apparently it is not possible and the only way to do it is to wait 2 hours, yes 2 hours she said matter of fact... like it is absolutely normal to wait 2 hours on hold. I asked to speak with a manager but no one is available to speak to me about "volume of calls" complaints. It seems like there is absolutely nothing I can do but wait. As we speak I have been on hold for 1 hour and 50 minutes and still not answer...

I will never ever book anything through EXPEDIA again and urge anyone who reads this to do as well. They need to experience some serious losses in order to wake up!

Dec 12, 2007

Just to let you know that your reservation clearly states to reconfirm your flight 24 hours before departure and 72 hours before international flights.

• Li
      Jan 29, 2008
    Expedia - refused to cancel!
    expedia
    233 Montgomery Street
    jersey ci
    New Jersey
    Phone: [protected]

I booked a flight for my husband Sava Mitrovich, from Newark to Belgrade, Serbia on 1/21/08 departing 1/30. An emergency family situation (bringing his mother to a nursing home) at the last minute she found a home nurse and he did not have to make the trip. On 1/25 I tried to cancel the trip and use the ticket for a fture trip there... an open ticket. Expedia's customer Service said this could only be done by the airline, Air France. Air France said that since the booking was with a travel agency, only Expedia could take care of it. Now Expedia says the "ticket has no value" $770 charged on our credit card for a flight that does not leave until tomorrow night! So Expedia proposes to keep the fare without any redress?!!

•   May 13, 2008
    Expedia - their offer was refused upon my call back
    www.expedia.com

Shame on Expedia! Upon an unfortunate need to reschedule dates, I was offered by an Expedia agent that if I was able to find a room for $1.00 (one) more than my current room, they would waive the penalty of $417.00. Great, I thought. She said it was documented in her computer and gave me a reference number to refer to when I called back with my hotel choice.

After I called back 3 days later (of course, a new agent this time) and explained the sequence of calls I've made, this agent decided he did not want to "personally take responsibility" for the promise the other agent made and documented. Since when does an Expedia employee have to take personal responsibility when it has already been approved and documented in their own computer system? That is bull *** and after heated exchange the Expedia hung up on me.

After that I called back again, asked directly for a supervisor, which I was transferred to after waiting 45 minutes. She was very nice. Her name was Jennifer Erga. She handled the "promise" like a professional should.

•   May 20, 2008

An expedia.com booking agent booked an itinerary for me from Boston to Ålesund Norway going through Reykjavik Iceland with Iceland air and then within Norway with SAS from Oslo to Aalesund.

Aside from not having a wheelchair that I ordered as well as special meals, expedia's booking agent did not allow enough time for me to make the connection from Oslo to Ålesund

My itinerary only allowed 40 minutes for me to catch the flight to Ålesund once in Oslo and I had no idea that one had to claim their luggage and go through customs before making connecting flights within the country. I was told by the expedia agent that I was booked through to my final destination and that 40 minutes was "plenty" of time to make the flight within Norway! I also did not know when I arrived in Reykjavik Iceland that I would have to get issued a ticket at the SAS desk in Oslo (which was paid to expedia). I wondered how I would be able to do all of that in a wheelchair not knowing that I also had to claim luggage and go through customs.

The assistants who wheeled me to the SAS desk from the plane, as well as the personal behind the reservations desk told me that the booking was not "realistic" and that I would have to get the next flight out after I had already been up for 24 hours and sick. I also was concerned for my friend who was waiting for me at the other end taking time from work. My original flight was to leave at 1:05 and land at 2:00PM. She had to wait around and extra hour and a half.

On top of this I was told by Scandinavian airlines in Oslo that I would have to purchase a full priced last minute one way ticket for the 45 minute trip which came out to be $380.00 US dollars.

To make matters worse, I did not have the funds in my bank account to cover the extra cost, so my friend who was picking me up in Ålesund had to pay for the ticket using her credit card.

I paid her back 2 weeks later when there were funds auto-deposited into my account.

The SAS people who were helpful and sympathetic tried to call expedia at the time for me to try to fix the problem but there was only a menu and no humans to get help from.

When I returned from my trip I called expedia.com to report the incident and to try to get a refund for the extra money I had to spend to get to my destination as well as the other problems of not getting a wheelchair or the special meals ordered. I spoke to» Jessica" in a Pensacola office who gave me the case number and an email address to back up this case. She assured me that I would get a refund for the $380.00 extra dollars I had to pay for this trip, and she even offered to me a $100.00 gift certificate for a future flight with expedia.

I asked if I could speak to someone and was told that my case was reported and I would be contacted. When I asked when and by who, she could not give me an answer.

I wrote to the company and have been given the run around and then was told that; yes. I got a gift certificate for some very specific special vacation package offered by expedia which was not what I was told by the agent Jessica. Of course I will never use such a useless offer.

Expedia also wrote to me saying that they could not be responsible for airlines not recording special assistance or meals.

If that was the case why wasn't I told when I asked if I would definitely have a wheelchair for sure.

I told the company that it was clear that the booking agents I contacted messed up and that I had to foot the bill and had to put up with the horrible time I had physically, financially and emotionally when in Oslo. I had been up for over 27 hours and very ill by that time I reached my destination.

I wrote that I was thinking of telling the attorney's general's office in Seattle about their company practices of staying remote from their customer's complains by not having any voice contact and sending out fill-out forms that were impersonal and ignored.

The company cut me off and I have heard nothing more from them.

Of course I will never book with them again, but I do not feel these big Internet companies should be able to get away with this kind of neglect, ineptitude and dishonesty. I know after reading the multitude of complaints against this company that this is an on going injustice.

Please make my case know to the online community and the appropriate attorneys.

• Ro
      Jul 07, 2008
    Expedia - hotel reservation
    Washington
    www.expedia.com

I made hotel reservations for three couples through Expedia and requested non-smoking rooms. I received two separate confirmations stating that it had booked non-smoking rooms. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that we were booked into smoking rooms. I showed my confirmation paper to the hotel and it then showed me that Expedia requested smoking rooms. This particular hotel did not have any other non-smoking rooms available. After several calls, we found that there were no other rooms available at any other hotels in the area and we were forced to stay in the smoking rooms. Several of us are sensitive to tobacco smoke and woke up the next morning ill.

When I complained to Expedia, it declined to accept any responsibility and pushed the blame onto the hotel, even though I had already seen the computer trail that showed that Expedia made the mistake. This is the last time I will use Expedia.

•   Jul 14, 2008
    Expedia - beware
    expedia.com

Never book a hotel through expedia.com or hotel.com! We drove from Portland to Seattle. Got to Seattle at the Warwick Hotel. Got to room and it was a smoking room. Went back to the desk and said we had asthma and could not be in a smoking room. They said there were no more non-smoking rooms. We said we would cancel. They said we had to do it through Expedia. Called Expedia and they said they could not guarantee bed choice or non-smoking and would not refund the price of the room. Talked to three more people (supposedly upper management) at Expedia.com and they said we changed our mind and were lying about having asthma just because we wanted non-smoking.

Yeh right - we had just driven four hours to have a fun weekend in Seattle and ended up driving back to Portland the same day - ruined weekend - just to say we were lying about having asthma!

Buyer beware! Expedia.com does not respect its customers and accuses them of being liars just so they can rent out the same room and get double the costs!

•   Sep 19, 2008
    Expedia - scammed
    expedia.com

Booked flight to Detroit. Changed to flight in Chicago. Went to Chicago. Ask for invoice from expedia listing all charges. Received invoice for trip to Chicago. Filed expense report with company. Discovered later that 197 dollars for trip to Detroit were not listed. Have no invoice to submit for expenses for 197 dollars charged for trip never taken to Detroit. Called. Asked to speak to supervisor. Waited for 30 minutes and hung up.

Your sorry no good for nothing piece of *** sight should reward succinctness in explanations.

•   Oct 06, 2008
    Expedia - worst service
    expedia.com

I have been a member of expedia for several years now and I have just received the absolute worst service with them, that in my mind, is almost unexplainable.

On Friday, Oct 3rd, I called one of their numerous call centers to cancel a reservation. I was informed that I could not receive a refund because my ticket was non-refundable. When I purchased my ticket with Expedia it never stated the ticket was non-refundable while I was purchasing it, I even read the rules and regulations. The only time it said the ticket was non refundable was after my purchase. After I argued this point with one of their operators, he decided to hang up on me. I then called back and spoke to a delightfully young lady who understood my point after she walked through the website with me. She transfered me to her supervisor who left me on hold for twenty minutes, then answered, then put me on hold again, and then answered only to hang up on me. I am now about an hour into trying to get my flight canceled and having ZERO luck talking to anyone with a clue. I call a THIRD time, again I go through the same long diatribe about the website and it's lack of detail, after which I get transfered to another supervisor 20 minutes into the call. I am now speaking with Supervisor Malory Legespi, or at least that's what she said her name was. Malory was by far the rudest of the bunch I dealt with over the coarse of the hour and half I spent on the phone. I asked to speak with Malory's boss and she flat out said NO and hung up on me. That's right, I called three different times, talked to three separate call centers and got hung up on three times. Total time on the phone was over an hour and a half and I never got the ticket canceled.

I waited two days and finally got someone to cancel my ticket. I would like to know a stateside number I can call and make a complaint. I am tired of dealing with overseas call centers. I will more than likely never Expedia again and will make sure that everyone I know and come in contact with hears about your terrible service.

• Sf
      Oct 12, 2008
    Expedia - overcharge
    Indiana
    samsclub.com

I received a e-mail from Expedia saying I owed $35. and to pay up or have my trip cancelled. It turns out that they have the amount I paid to them completely wrong and they have double billed me. My trip was supposed to cost 1020.46 and I have actually paid 1197.96. I sent them copies of my credit card statements and have called and talked to several people and each gives me different amounts they supposedly have on record for my payment. Concerning the $35 the supervisor called and said they indeed find that they made a mistake on that e-mail but I have not been given anything in writing.
    Also they have not responded on my discovered over payment and tell me things like the cost of the trip has gone up since I booked. This is crazy. They quoted and I payed before deadlines. I have never experienced such a run around and to say the least conflicting information from various people I have talked to.

After this hassle, I asked how much i would be credited to cancel; they said $519 and I asked for an e-mail to confirm that and they refused.
    Again this should be one half of 1197.96 the amount I can prove I paid.

What can be done - who handles these disputes?

•   Oct 17, 2008
    Expedia - scam and theft
    expedia.com

I've read the problems others have had with Expedia. I had my own problems, years ago. Long, long story (which I won't delve into here) - suffice it to say I ran it all the way up to "management" - after getting absolute NO resolution from their "customer-NO-service" department. The manager I talked to was an absolute train wreck of a person, and made matters worse. Basically, my only recourse was to sue them (which I was unwilling to do for such a small amount - several hundred dollars). So, MY recourse is to simply NEVER use them again, and tell EVERYONE I know how lousy they are.

I'm truly a very patient person, and have never had problems with any of the other services - Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. - all have been just fine.

However, Expedia is a den of liars and thieves as far as I'm concerned. I will never use them again. Ever.

Oct 31, 2008

Some of EXP customers are just booking hotel and flights without reading and checking the policies of their reservation, so after they decided to cancel the reservation they will be shock if the agent/s would tell them that their ticket is non-ref or the hotel will imposing 1 nyt penalty etc...well i felt sorry for what happened to you..but i think not all expedia agent are like that..we cant please anyone..:-)

Oct 31, 2008

This is why you pay by credit card, stop payment on the charge for $25 or dispute the charge for free. Remember the CC companies work for you; consumers make them more money than any merchant. Merchants, at best, pay 2.5% to the credit card companies. I'm going to guess you APR is higher.

Also, ask expedia to provide the instrument which created the debt. There needs to be some sort of written document, signed by you, before a company can claim debt that you owe them. Ask them (or their lawyers) to produce the document.

• Ha
      Dec 20, 2008
    Expedia - worst travel company ever!!!
    expedia.com

Expedia does not honor their website. The website said you could apply the cost of the airfare to other flights if changed prior to departure. I tried, and then they said it only applied to the SAME airline, which is nowhere on their website. They then said I would lose the value of the overage i already paid as the new ticktes were FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS less than what I paid even though I was willing to apply it to the penalty for changing flights, which I agreed to do. After almost two hours on the phone, their manager in the PHILLIPINES, Brian Save, hung up on me.

Dec 23, 2008
    Expedia - non delivery/promised $75 gas card
    Sandra Buzzard
    Florida

Has anyone else out there experienced this: Expedia promised me a $75.00 gas card upon making a hotel reservation in October, 2017. Thus far after many inquiries and go-rounds, I still haven't received this gas card. They keep saying someone is "looking into it" but I never receive it. It seems to me that this is not only an unfair practice, but not legal to promise something that you aren't going to deliver. I will not use this company again.

• Be
      Dec 31, 2008

I had the same problem this past summer. The company that handles the gas cards for Expedia is Quantum Loyalty Systems. Their offices are in Incline Village, NV (Lake Tahoe area). While vacationing at Lake Tahoe I stopped by their offices and spoke with a Mr. Keith Davis. Keith was able to rectify the situation and get me the gas cards I was missing. I no longer have Keith's email address or phone number, however you can send him a letter at:

Quantum Loyalty Systems
    926 Incline Way, Suite 200
    Incline Village, NV 89451

Good Luck!

Jan 04, 2009

not all information can be seen on the website, yes. that's why they have this customer support number where you can call if you have further questions.
    and its pretty obvious that when you have airline credits you can only use that against a ticket by the same airline right? it's like returning merchandise to a department store. of course you cannot exchange an apple for an orange. or a gucci for a prada right?

Jan 04, 2009

not all people in expedia are like that. dont generalize the company just because of this experience.

• Br
      Jan 11, 2009
    Expedia - unauthorized change of travel
    expedia.com

I booked airline travel through Expedia from Birmingham, AL to Washington, D.C. from January 7-11, 2017. The January 7 flight was late afternoon; the January 11 flight was for about 10:00 A.M. I received an e-mail confirmation of the schedule. I had to change the January 7 flight to January 8. I paid Expedia @300.00 for the change. I requested that my return flight on January 11 remain unchanged and received verbal assurance that my return would not change. I was told that I would receive a confirmation via e-mail. It never arrived.

In D.C., I happened to be in hotel that had boarding pass print out facilities. When I printed my boarding pass on January 10, I learned that my January 11 flight had been changed. I called Expedia, was kept on hold for more than 15 minutes, and was told that Delta had made the change. I called Delta and was told that Expedia had made the change. The Delta representative gave me a code that documented the change, and I was told to call Expedia back. I called Expedia and was again told that Delta made the change. When I kept asking about the situation, I was put on hold for long periods of time (approximately 2 to 2.5 hours total) while the customer service representative spoke with a supervisor about the matter.

The Expedia supervisor indicated that the change was an employee error, but insisted that I had agreed to the change when I made the @$300.00 transaction. I repeated that I had only requested the change in the flight from Birmingham to Washington. She was apologetic and indicated that I could pay the change of ticket plus any other costs incurred and seek reimbursement from Expedia. However, she could not tell me the cost of the ticket change or any other costs until I gave her a credit card number and agreed to let her process the transaction. I declined. She indicated that she hoped that Expedia acknowledging their responsibility provided me some solace.

She also acknowledged that my trip to Reagan Nation Airport to catch a 10:00 A.M. plane would have put me in the airport for about seven hours and that I had no way of knowing about the change since no confirmation had been sent. However, I was still only given the option of paying for the change of ticket and seeking reimbursement through Expedia. I was told that I could arrive at the airport before the morning plane left to see if I could get the people at the Delta would assist me. (I learned from the Delta representative that I spoke with after speaking with Expedia a second time that I would need to arrive three hours prior to the 10 A.M. flight and pay $50.00 to get on the earlier flight, )

When I indicated that I did not plan to use Expedia again, the supervisor indicated that she understood and that she hoped that Expedia acknowledgement of their error made me feel better. It did not. I spent about four hours on the phone with airlines and Expedia. I could not get to the airport because I didn’t get the information about the $50.00 same day change until 6:03 A.M., and the information did not come from Expedia. I will lobby my friends and employer not to use Expedia.

Angry and Wiser

• Su
      Jan 15, 2009
    Expedia - gas card

I booked through Expedia and was suppose to get a gas card worth $25.oo. I never received it so I called and let them know. They said they did not have my address. This was not correct as I gave it on line when I signed up with them and paid by Visa. Anyway I gave them my address again and I still did not receive my $25.00 gas card. I called numerous times and it was told to me OVER AND OVER AGAIN they did not know why it was not sent but they would send it. I never received it. Do not tust Expedia!!! Susan Becker, Edmond, OK

• Un
      Feb 03, 2009

Hey folks, I've suffered the same problem as Susan. I was "supposed" to receive my $75 gas card back in the end of Oct 08. After numerous emails back and forth which they blamed the late delivery due to the "popularity of the program", I've still yet to receive the card. I spoke w/ a customer service rep last week (was put on hold for about 20+ mins waiting for a supv which I'm sure they had been hoping I'd hang up by then) and was finally told they would refund my $75 w/ the credit card I used to book the original trip. Five mins later, the same guy called and left a voicemail saying their refund dept disapproved the request because the gas cards were "supposedly" shippped out recently and for me to expect it in another week or so. I'm not holding my breath...

• Ly
      Feb 10, 2009
    Expedia - becareful when using coupons
    expedia.com

I went to use redeem my $200 coupon for a trip that cost $1018.00. When I entered my credit card number, and clicked the box which said Redeem coupon, the next page that came up said I put my credit card number in wrong. Again I put my number in and clicked the box, again the same error message. The third time I forgot to click the box and all of a sudden the transaction processed...and my coupon was not used! I called the company and some lady who sounded like the crazy asian lady on Mad TV got on the phone and said "ooooooh i seeeee I very sorry for your inconvienence, but I cana give you 25.00 for hotel stay". I normally have a very good attitude and let many things slide, but this [protected]@ssed me off. I told her to give me the [protected]@amn coupon after five minutes of listening to "ooooohhhh I undastand I sorry". First of all, this is p#ss poor customer service, second, we have thousands of americans who can't find jobs, STOP OUT SOURCING TO INDIA AND CHINA. I will use priceline for now on, I am done with expedia.

• Ad
      Jun 20, 2009
    Expedia - non refund of taxes on ticket
    Adam Broinowski
    Melbourne
    Victoria
    Australia

I recently was forced to cancel my ticket because I was quarantined with some passengers who were sitting near a passenger who had H1N1 virus. We were quarantined for 7 days so I missed all of my connecting flights. When I cancelled my tickets, unlike the other travel agents, Expedia were the only ones not to return the taxes taken on my ticket booking. Travel insurance does not cover for H1N1 virus. Aside from the shocking service where no one answers beyond the strict automated replies they have been told to repeat, this is theft. Where is customer protection for these situations?? This is serious legal breach.

• Me
      Aug 03, 2009
    Expedia - cancelled reservation add'l charges
    New York

We booked a RTrip flight from Albany to Charlotte and discovered that the departure time was incorrect. We called Expedia (as you are unable to correct this on line) and selected the correct flight and paid an additional $150 for the change. That's bad enough, but then when we went to check in for our return trip home, we were told that we didn't have a reservation -- we called Expedia and the first agent hung up on us. The second call landed to an agent named "Maria" ("we don't give our last names") and she checked with her supervisor (Albert). After being on hold for more than 20 mins, she returned to the phone and told us that their "investigation" resulted in their brilliant determination that we had booked a one-way flight. Does it not occur to these "customer service" employees that the likelihood of changing a rtrip ticket to a one way flight is highly unlikely? And, to then accuse us of being at fault was the ultimate insult. There was no apology, no offer to help, just a "too bad" attitude. Well, we travel at least 6 times a year for family visits and vacations and I travel at least twice a month for business. You can be sure I will NEVER use Exepdia for any travel reservations ever again. In addition, I am going to publicize this experience on every website an public forum I can find. And, one last note -- it would be extremely helpful if I was able to actually understand the person on the other end of the phone -- between the bad connection, the heavy accent and the scripted responses, it was anextremely frustrating addition to an already stressful time.

• Mc
      Sep 01, 2009
    Expedia - worst experience with on-line agencies
    expedia.com

Is it right that the travel agency charge you with a “reschedule fee” when your flight is canceled and you have to reschedule your flight because you can’t make the time of new flight? Is it right to hold up the “good” flights and only release crappy flights with very late/early/sleep over in the airport flights to customers who reschedule flights? Is it right to reject the customer’s request to cancel a flight leg? If your answers are “NO”, read on.

I am a student in Texas A&M University and will attend an academic conference in Boise, ID in October 2017. I have been ordering tickets for my personal trips with Expedia for a couple years so I still trust their service this time. In the first place, I booked my flight to leave College Station, TX on October 4 and return on October 9. The outbound flight is basically following the order of “College Station, TX – Houston, TX – Boise, ID” and the return flight is in the reversed order. Four days later, I received an automatic email, telling me that my flight is canceled by Continental and a new schedule is provided in the email. I wasn’t given a chance to reject or accept the new flight schedule. I scrutinized my new schedule and found out that my return flight (Boise, ID – Houston, TX – College Station, TX) was put forward to depart in 11:35AM in Boise, almost four hours earlier than my original plan (3:04PM) and I definitely cannot make it.

I called their customer service to reschedule my flight. I told them clearly what was happened. The first representative told me that she needs to call Continental to confirm my information and will call me back. I waited for a whole day and no one called. I called again. This time Expedia insisted that I have to pay the reschedule fee of $150, or they cannot reschedule the flight for me. It is totally not right because the whole situation is caused by the airline company. But finally I succumbed and agreed to pay the reschedule fee.

The interesting part follows. When I asked to choose a flight I saw on their website, I was told that I am not allowed to choose that flight. The only flight that is available to me is in a bad time: I will fly to Houston at late night and the final leg (Houston – College Station) is in the next morning. I asked if I can cancel my final leg since no one likes to sleep over in the airport. My request was rejected. In the end, I lost $150 for no reason and was put in a flight with worst schedule. I have to spend another $30 to take bus from Houston to College Station on that night because like I said, no one wants to sleep in the airport. No compensation of any kind is provided by Expedia.

I sent them a complaint letter, and this is their response: “…We are more than willing to assist our customers in any way commercially possible. We, at Expedia, are dedicated to providing knowledgeable service and support to our customers. But we are constrained by the policies of the vendors whose services we provide on our website. When a flight itinerary or hotel itinerary is purchased on Expedia, we act as the agent between the client and the vendor. Any transactions are governed by the rules and restrictions put in place by the vendor providing the service.”Even though they have their own “secret rules”, what about consumer rights? This is the worst service I have ever experienced. If anyone is interested, I have kept all correspondences for future references.

• Ve
      Sep 04, 2009

I booked a vacation package to the Mayan Riveria on April 13th through Expedia.ca to travel May 1-15th for $3550.32. However, due to the swine flu i was forced to cancel. Upon cancellation with Expedia, I was refunded the hotel portion of my trip ($2248.35 from Hotel Ocean Coral and Tuequesa) but was told that I would only be given a credit valid for one year from the date of purchase for my flight, with the same passengers, airline and departure country. A difference of $1301.97 remains. I had concerns about rebooking because it was a vacation package and I wanted to make sure that i would have no hassles rebooking for something similar in the future. I was assured that I would be able to rebook another vacation package as long as it was saved to my itinerary online. I was told to find any vacation package with the same airline and save it in my itinerary and then call in to have them push the booking through.

In the beginning or mid July I Tried to book a vacation package and was told that i would be unable to do so, because there was a miscommunication from the staff. I was told due to my flight credit I would have to book a flight and hotel seperately. I was upset as this would cost me more money but had no choice. Then I lookded for a seperate flight and hotel and when I tried to book this I was told that I would be unable to do so because my oringial ticket was a special fare ticket. A special fare is only offered periodically and i would have to wait untill another one came up. I was never told nor aware that I had a special fare flight when I booked or cancelled my trip. I am a studen and work part time, I should have to be flexible to expedia's dates. I have been trying to book a vacation package for August 18-27th. I have talked to at least 4 different supervisors who have all told me different stories. I have been placed on hold and I have wasted hours of my time with no results. They tell me that they will call back and I never recieve calls. They even told me a person who was suppose to call me back had quit. This was within 2 days. Their story has changed now and they say that there was a miscommunication and the guy still works for Expedia. It seems like this is a theme within their company that there are many incidents of miscommunication at the customers expense. They won't even take responsibility or try to help their customers. It is not my fault I had to cancel my trip due to the swine flu. I have worked hard for my money and can't just let 1300 go down the drain on useless credit.

After many frustrated calls finally on August 7th I spoke with a supervisor Shawn, who assured me he would work on my case and get it moving. He did not call me back so Monday August 10th I called expedia again. I spoke with an Agent Joscelyn who said they would be able to put me on my flight but that I would have to speak with Shawn, as he would be able to do it not her. I spoke with Shawn later and he told me that he was unable to do it and would pass me to the flight department. The flight department then called me saying that they are not able to book this and that I would have to deal with the airline itself. During this whole time the cost of the flight went up at least $300-400 and I have wasted many hours talking with Expedia for them to now tell me that i must deal with the airline. They told me that I had to use my credit with them and now they are passing me off, 7 days before I was suppose to leave on my trip. I now am unable to go on my vacation because of this whole hassle.

• Bu
      Sep 04, 2009

I booked a hotel room through Expedia and when I got to the hotel and checked out the following day my bill was 20% cheaper than what Expedia charged. In other words the hotel quoated cheaper than Expedia!! When I called customer service they told me that the receipt I was given was the Wrong receipt and I was not meant to see it! My name and room number and credit card numbers but it was still the wrong receipt. They were rude and the blamed the hotel for giving me the wrong receipt. Will never use Expedia again...ever!!!

• Ex
      Sep 09, 2009
    Expedia - change of flight

I have never in my 32 years on this planet had such a nightmarish experience with a company. I can tell you the DAYS I spent on hold, the incompetence of their so called customer service, or that I felt like I was in the twilight zone with almost every conversation I had with them but why waste your time. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT EVER USE EXPEDIA. THEIR ENTIRE COMPANY IS SET UP TO SCAM YOU, TO BAIT AND SWITCH YOU, AND TO DENY YOU ANY AND EVERYTHING THEY CAN, UNTILL YOU EITHER SUE THEM (WHICH I HOPE YOU DO) OR JUST GIVE UP... CRYING. BESIDES THE OBVIOUS NIGHTMARE OF THEIR SCAMS, WHY USE A COMPANY THAT HAS SENT SO MUCH OF THEIR EMPLOYMENT TO INDIA?
    If your not convinced, let me just tell you an interesting little fact, the airlines number two method for creating revenue, next only to ticket sales, is refusing to transfer tickets to different names and flight change fees. An estimated 10 billion dollars!!! And only about 15% of people actually use the credit in the 1 year they have to use it.

EXPEDIASUCKS.COM GOOD LUCK

• Gt
      Sep 29, 2009
    Expedia - expedia price guarantee
    Michigan

I booked a hotel through Expedia.com for a single person City Hotel BRNO Czech Republic. The reservation shows as a single person in a double room and I was charged 890 CZK per night.

At the company web site http://www.city-hotel.cz/encenik.php the hotel charges 690 CZK per night for a single occupance two beds with bath.

I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with customer support, and they refuesed to honor the price guarantee because they couldn't tell from the reservation if the room I booked had a bath or not.

Their offer was rather that give me 25$ plus a 50$ coupon toward another trip as their guarantee offers, they would give me a 25$ coupon toward another trip. That hasn't shown up in my account.

• Co
      Jan 18, 2010
    Expedia - refund transfer
    Mount Morris
    New York

I had booked a flight to California last Feb. 2017 for June 29th. For my husband and myself when I ended up in the hospital for open-heart surgery. Needless to say we couldn't go. I contacted Expedia and sent them a note from my Dr. stating why I couldn't travel. They said they could not refund me my money for the medical emergency but I would get a credit I could use up to a year from the date I purchased it. It was non transferable. Well we never got a chance to use this but an opportunity came up in Jan. 2017 where we could give this to two RN's to fly to Florida and from there to Haiti's on a ministry flight to lend a hand. I called Airtran and they said yes I could transfer these with a $15.00 additional fee for each flight which I was willing to do. They said though I booked them through Expedia I would have to go through them. When I called Expedia and asked them to do the same thing they told me they couldn't. When I told them I had already spoke to Airtran and they said I could the guy said he would have to put me on hold and call AT. He came back and said that girl was wrong and they still could not. I asked for a supervisor and Anthony came on and said they could not. I said AT said differently and he asked me if I was calling him a liar. I said "no" and explained that these nurses were going to help out in Haiti. He said I should have read my contract and that Expedia would lose money that way. I said "I've already paid for it." He said "Then you should know that you can't transfer it." I said "wow I hope your proud of yourself and you know this was for helping out others in need. I hope your never in need." Maybe I should call one of those news stations? He said "Are you threatening me?" I said "no I am not threatening you but you know what goes around comes around and it always does." I hung up at this point and feel disgusted with this company. I will never do business with them again and after reading the rest of the complaints all I can say is don't use them the are not reputable.

• Br
      Apr 08, 2010
    Expedia - horrible customer service, bordering on fraud
    Expedia

I booked a room for a friend at a hotel through Expedia; however, when he arrived, the hotel was unable to find any record of the booking. They charged him for a room, though I had already paid. I wrote to Expedia to request a refund, only to be told that I would have to call to arrange one -- even though the information I conveyed over the phone was precisely the same information as I had written in my e-mail -- the itinerary number and the booked hotel. I spent over an hour on the phone with the customer service agents -- in fact, I had to explain my case twice because I was disconnected the first time. The hour was spent primarly on hold (held prisoner to the atrocious jingle that advertises the company) while the agents "checked" with the hotel and transferred me back and forth among themselves -- a tactic I am sure they use to deter refund requests, since I had already spoken with the hotel manager on the phone and was able to ascertain that there was no record of a reservation within 2 minutes, not the hour I was kept on hold. In addition, the hotel manager mentioned that a lost booking happens frequently with travelers who book their rooms through Expedia. The most upsetting thing about my experience is that my friend was only in town for 3 days, and I spent a morning haggling with Expedia about payments and refunds -- without ever receiving anything so civil as even an apology -- furthermore, I have as yet seen no sign of a refund actually appearing in my bank account. I expected much better service from a well-known travel site like Expedia.

• Ze
      Apr 13, 2010
    Expedia - worst of the worst
    Expedia

Expedia is a complete ripoff and its customer service is rude, ineffective and almost non-existant with wait time of each call is 30min plus..not counting the numbe of times they just hang up in middle of talk.I booked two flight tickets for domestic travel from east coast to midwest, everything was confirmed and had emails to prove it.One day before travel i received the email saying changes has been made to my itenarary and i need to contact expedia, thats when i learnt the true service that expedia provides to its customers.their customer service is the worst, i have seen the service industry go down with time but expedia exceeds all my expectations. they hung 5-6 times each after wait time of more than half an hour.one lady representative was pressuring me to cancel my itinerary after she said the airlines that cancelled my original return flight cannot be reached, after being on call for more than 3+ hours, i got fed up and said okay please cancel the flights.at that moment she said call back after to half an hour to confirm cancellation.i got really pissed up cos she had asked me to wait half and hour on hold to reschedule the flight which the airlines has cancelled, then she said i must wait half an hour if i wanted to cancel the whole itinerary ..even after being half an hour, she said call back after half an hour as systems are down, how could the systems go down in middle of the talk.its not like a small travel agency it a big name company.i am really pissed at their poor treatment of customers and i feel am gonna avoid them like the living plague they are.just beware of expedia they are a complete ripoff.they just play games and have no idea whats going on within their own company.as some one said use them for reference and never book anything with them, i am usually not a critic but they scam they setup is way too hard to digest, and i dont need other travelers on tight budget and time being harassed by these useless agencies who make up stories out of thin air and dont know the first thing about customer service.in my eyes expedia *** the most after hp.

• Nw
      Sep 27, 2010
    Expedia - never again
    Expedia

Do not book with expedia, (Unless you don't want your flight to be actually booked)

Before the return journey of a recent trip i tried to check in online to save time at the airport. The airline had no record of my flight and when i went to expedia.Co.Uk where i booked it i got an "internal message" error and had to call customer services.

There was no return flight booked for me even though i had written confirmation from expedia that my flight was booked. The agent on the phone explained that after i changed part of my trip, expedia attempted to charge my credit card the change fee. When my card was declined (After they emailed me ticket confirmation) they said they emailed me back to let me know and that i had never responded.

I checked my inbox carefully, my spam email and my deleted items and there was no sign of this alleged email from expedia letting my know my flight was not confirmed.

When i asked to speak to the manager about this i was told there wasn't a manager available. I then asked the agent on the phone to pass a message onto their manager that i'd never book with expedia again and would be leaving a review of my booking experience on tripadvisor.com.

20 minutes iater a manager agreed to take my call. He then started trying to blame me for not responding to the email they claim they sent out stating my flight was not reserved. I invited them to resend this email but they said they couldn't.

He again tried to blame me by saying i should have checked my credit card transactions online and noticed that the flight change fee hadn't shown up. I expalined that since my last communication from expedia was a confirmation of my flight in writing this responsibility was not on me.

He refused to take responsibility and reaffirmed that everything expedia had done "had followed protocol".

If i hadn't tried to check in online with with the airline i would have shown up at the airline and had no flight reservation. Expedia saw no need to take responsibilty for their slip up, continued to try and blame me. Never again.

• St
      Oct 01, 2010
    Expedia - holding holding holding
    North Carolina

My name is Stefanie and I have been on hold for over two hours. Two hours of not only my time, but my employers. I first called at 9 am on Friday the 1st of October and spoke to a woman named Niki...She answered fairly quickly and was helpful until I told her I wanted to use a credit for the flight I was booking. Then immediately she said she had to transfer me to a service dept. It is now 11:28 and I'm still holding. I called on my cell phone to the same number NIKI answered on to make sure they hadn't forgotten about me and was told to continue to hold that the wait was normal, well by that time my Boss was a bit vexed and called himself...the lady that answered that time told him, after he expressed his displeasure, that she would put him through to her supervisor...Now we are both on hold!! He has been holding (On my Cell Phone) since before 11, so for 30 min. This is unexceptionable, does this company really think they can put us on hold and waste our time and that we will give up?!!! IM SO UNHAPPY ABOUT THIS!

• Ad
      Jan 26, 2011
    Expedia - scam
    Expedia

On 12/27 I reserved a round trip ticket from North Dakota to Louisiana. Within minutes I received a confirmation email. The next day I received another email asking me to contact Expedia as soon as possible. When I contacted them, a woman with a heavy Indian accent came on the phone and from what I could understand, told me that they could not confirm my original flight but for an additional $200 they could confirm it at that time. Since I was having so much trouble understanding her, I asked to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor that got on the phone spoke English a little better. She tried her best to explain to me why they could now make the reservation for an additional $200 but it still made no sense. Frustrated, I canceled the flight. I sent an email to Expedia explaining my dissatisfaction but never got a response. Customer service or satisfaction does not seem to be high on their list. I fly round trip every three weeks and will not use Expedia again. In my experience, Travelocity does a much better job.

• Ki
      Jun 28, 2011
    Expedia - stole our money
    Expedia

We went to purchase tickets online to go on a trip. The website forced us to call the customer service rep. at Expedia to complete the process. We gave the Rep. our Iten# and he stated he located it, confirmed the amount we were promise and then placed the order. When I logged back in to print my schedule, the bill was $900+ more than we expected to pay and our bank account was emptied:.

We called back Expedia and were hung up on 3 times and they argued over the fact that the price had changed and why did we not want to keep the new price;. We were so upset and asked for a refund/. They said we would have to be transferred on the phone again;. My wife is still on the phone after 2 hours and we have not resolved the issue, . I hate this company and our weekend is ruined|. They tell us we can expect to wait 7-10 days for a refund and at present we are not sure what that will be". Please never use them, this has been a horrible and stressful experience.

• Fa
      Jul 05, 2011

Expedia overbooked me on a hotel trip. I found out when arriving at the hotel almost midnight in a place i know nobody and had to look for another hotel. Since then I'm trying to get my money back without success
    Every call a different person answer the phone and read the same "script"

• Fa
      Jul 05, 2011

Every call a different person answer the phone and read the same "script"
    Please somebody help me get my $40 back