Executive EyewearPoor Service

1 Review updated:

Great to buy from... but have a problem and the owner, Michael Rich, doesn't know you. This individual was abusive and completely unhelpful in resolving an issue. In fact, I have to say it was the worst retail experience I have ever had. If it is money vs the customer's satisfaction... money wins, and very quickly. Changes from sickeningly sweet (the sales process) to a pit bull (the problem end... after he safely has your money). Extremely disappointed with Executive Eyewear and particularly Michael Rich.

More Executive Eyewear Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Tw
      Nov 02, 2010

I also had a problem with Executive Eyewear in Pittsford, NY that took months to resolve, regarding the fit and finish of the glasses. Very expensive with no service... a winning combination. He lost me as a customer, but doesn't seem to care.

• Ro
      Feb 13, 2011

I experienced the same problem. I needed my eyeglasses to be serviced and I returned to discuss what could be done with Michael Rich . He objected to helping in any way. He was abusive towards me, completely unreasonable and aggressed towards me physically. I have never had an experience like this in my entire life. I was close to calling the police. Will never come close to that store again.

• Ys
      Mar 18, 2011

I am a long time patient of Michael Rich at Executive Eyewear and was absolutely shocked when I read these reviews. Michael is the most dedicated, loyal and passionate individual regarding his business and his patients that I have ever come in contact with. I have been to several different stores that have not been able to help me in the least. Within the first visit to Michael I knew this was the right place for me. My glasses were made perfectly to my specifications and have been since. If there has been any type of issue Michael has always been more than willing to listen to my concerns and has always made sure I have left his business happy. Of course there is a longer wait time than an hour or sometimes a week. Everything is done in house with his own hands (or Randy Rich-his father) everything is custom made of course its going to take a little bit longer. However, I have never had to wait longer than what I thought was an appropriate timeframe to receive my glasses. He has been in this business over 10 years and it shows. He knows what he is talking about and I have never once had a bad experience with him, even when I was his new patient he treated me with the utmost respect. Several of my friends and family members go to him as well and I only have heard great things regarding his behavior and professional domineer.
    I have been in the store a few times when he has dealt with problem customers and I witnessed the exact opposite then what I have read in these reviews. These customers conducted themselves in a completely irrational manner and in my opinion Michael handled himself very well considering. Shame on anyone for complaining about a man who will do anything to make his customers happy.

• Ge
      Apr 15, 2011

I purchased glasses from Executive Eyewear in Rochester (Pittsford), and had the same problems enumerated above. Not only were the glasses very expensive (which I understood), but no service comes with the sale. None. I noticed the glowing review above and suspect it must be written by the owner... because I have compared the extensive problems I experienced with others, and they are consistent. I wasted a lot of time (and money), and was subjected to his acerbic attitude. Maybe he has a satisfied customer, but I will never return. They say a satisfied customer tells two other people, and unsatisfied customer tells ten.

• Je
      Apr 22, 2011

I wanted to post and let everyone know that I was also recently a customer of Executive Eyewear, and I haven't had any problems like this. In fact, Michael offered to remake my lenses twice because I felt the centers were off, and even though I offered to move from a progressive to reading to save him money on the remake, he wouldn't hear of it. He's paying for it out of his own pocket just to make sure I'm happy and that kind of service is hard to find. Michael seems like a perfectionist to me, someone who insists upon getting it right, and the fit/finish of the final product is the proof. So he can't be all bad.

• Bh
      May 15, 2011

I agree with many of the comments above. Three other opticians agreed there was a problem with the strength of the glasses, and I too, as the patient, tried to explain the bifocal was blurry. He told me to return to my doctor and get another prescription. When I did, the opthamologist reiterated that the prescription was correct. The all-knowing Micheal Rich refused to do anything about my problem. He shouted at me and would not let me speak. I told him I would never have work done by him again, and he said he was glad. How does this kind of behavior survive in today's marketplace. He is expensive and boorish. I think however if one is a buxom young female, one could expect better behavior, otherwise stay away from this man.

May 22, 2011

I am also a UNSATISFIED and ticked off customer of Executive Eyewear. Glasses came in and were not right, demanded I go back to the Optometrist for a new Rx. Doctor reexamined me, Rx didn't change... but the owner of Executive Eyewear knows more than the doctor. Would not resolve my problem, and not provide a refund. Refunds are not in his vocabulary. Customer service is not a priority. He is not a pleasant, rational or reasonable individual to deal with. I guess I'll be telling 10 people about my horrible experience.

• Ba
      Jul 01, 2011

The complaints above Executive Eyewear are right on the mark. He was very argumentative when I had a problem, and it was never corrected. I had the same prescription filled by another Optician (that pair worked great), so I ended paying twice for a pair of glasses. Executive Eyewear cost me a lot of money + he doesn't return phone calls. Not one. Ever. And he is never available (holding for him is not permitted). I will never enter his store again. I do have one question: why would someone write a good review (above) on a complaint forum -- unless he is reading his own press. Just sayin'. I wish I had searched for information about Executive Eyewear prior to spending money with them. I see I am not alone.

Jul 09, 2011

Worst business I've ever encountered!!! I ordered (and paid for) glasses and told Michael I needed them before I was going on a 7 week vacation. He assured me that would be no problem. It took over 2 1/2 weeks... and they had the wrong lenses in them. Another few days wait for the correct lenses. Finally they were done and I went to get them and the first day I had them I noticed the side piece of the frame had several cracks at the hinge (Michael had over tightened the hinge screw). I took them back and Michael said it shouldn't be a problem and I should just wear them as it was only a small crack and hard to see!!! I told him that they had to be replaced and I would not wear them. Michael was RUDE, ABUSIVE, and then accused me of breaking them. We got into a shouting match. It took 2 weeks to replace the frame (by then I was out of the country on vacation). I returned from vacation and when I went to pick them up I noticed the lens was cracked!!! He cracked it screwing the frame to the lens. Now it's another 2 week wait...

Aug 18, 2011

Worst retail experience I've ever had. Michael is arrogant, incompetent, and a total liar. It took me over 3months to settle but I got my money back from my credit card company.
    First Michael made my eyeglasses with the wrong lenses.
    Then he corrected the lenses and broke the frames.
    Then he replaced the frames and broke the lens.
    Meanwhile he made up lies, made up excuses, screamed at me, and was a total [censored].

• Ex
      Oct 22, 2011

Hello,
    My name is Michael Rich and I am the owner and primary optician at Executive Eyewear. I am a second generation optician with over twenty years of experience in fine eyewear. I’m a seasoned a craftsman and I take great pride in my company and the work we do here. Word of mouth is my best advertisement; this only works well because I provide excellent service. These complaints are troubling to me, especially since most are anonymous and farfetched. I consider these comments slander without merit, which is why I have not addressed them until now. If there is an actual issue with me or my establishment please take it up with me directly or a venue such as the Better Business Bureau. You can find them at www.bbb.org. When filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau you are required to provide critical information to ensure the validity of your statement.
    At Executive Eyewear all the lens work is custom made to order by either myself or Randall Rich, an optician with over forty years of experience. Since this is the case we cannot provide refunds, which is always explained at the time of purchase and accompanied by a signed agreement (which can be emailed to you upon request). However, if there are any issues with vision or quality I will always work with the patient until my product is to both of our satisfaction. I am very meticulous and selective about the eyewear I dispense to my patients. Not only do I appreciate their business but their finished product accompanied by their recommendations is the reason “word of mouth” works so well for me. I would not have been in business for so long if I treated people in the manner these claims state.
    Please come into see me, you will not be disappointed in the service or quality of work I provide. It would be better to formulate your own opinions about my establishment instead of relying on the anonymous comments posted over the Internet.

Thank you.

• Da
      Nov 21, 2011

I've been a customer of Executive Eyewear for years, which, of course, tells you where I fall in terms of my opinion on his service. I have to say, in fairness, that initially I was put off by the price of the frames and the length of time it took him to make my first set of eyeglasses. When I told him so, in no uncertain terms and despite being neither blonde nor buxom, I was treated with equanimity and with no boorishness or aggression. If anyone was boorish, it may have been me. However, I was ultimately quite pleased with the final product, which was a very sophisticated tri-focal lens which had to be shaped to fit a small Morel frame. As this was my first time with tri or even bi-focals, Michael spent an extended period of time explaining what to expect from these glasses, their limitations and benefits. I was pleased with that service after sale and since that time, I have purchased a pair of prescription sunglasses and a new pair of regular eyeglasses, which I am wearing now. I have also worked with Michael's father, who is an exceptionally customer-focused individual. Recently, the Lieutenant Governer of the State of New York was in Michael's store getting glasses. I overheard him praising Michael's services and he left with two pair of glasses. What was the most interesting and spoke to Michael's character is that none of the other customers at the time received any less attention because of this Rochester celebrity's presence. I wasn't even paying attention to anyone but the former Mayor and now Lieutenant Governer. I realize people's experiences may vary; I am simply sharing mine as counterpoint, not necessarily contradiction.

• Jj
      Dec 31, 2011

I am currently having multiple problems with Michael Rich at Executive Eyewear. I am in the midst of it now. I will post later to let you know the outcome. If it is not favorable, I will be reporting to BBB. Will update soon!

• Pr
      Jan 04, 2012

This site reminds me of "rate your professor" where only failing students bother to submit so all the news is bad (the exception being the "easy teacher" who get great reviews). I'm sure the majority of satisfied customers don't even know this site exists. I didn't until today. I have been very satisfied with my experience at Executive Eyewear. Michael took the time to explain mistakes that had been made with previous prescriptions. Why do you all assume that the problem exists at this end? Have you considered that your eye care provider hasn't taken the time to give you a good fitting? Doctors aren't perfect. Someone graduates at the top of the class, and someone graduates at the bottom.

• Go
      Oct 03, 2012

I happened upon the complaints board when looking for Executive Eyewear's phone number to pass on to a friend. I would never have placed Michael Rich and the word "complaints" in the same category. I do not typically post reviews of purchased items or service experiences, positive or negative. But, I feel strongly enough about the excellent service I have received from Michael over a span of, probably, 15 years to do so now. I have known Michael as an optician at a local eyecare practice, when he provided in-home optical care, at his first store nearer to Cobb's Hill and at his current location, probably totaling a conservative estimate of 5 frames, not including sunglasses. My experience has been consistently personalized and professional and I have family and friends who have purchased from him who would say the same. Because he knows his product and his customer, he is able to find exactly what I am looking for everytime. My first pair of frames unfortunately had a hinge that would not hold a screw. Countless times, Michael gladly re-adjusted those frames for me, because I continued to love their appearance. Finally, HE convinced me to allow him to return the frames and provided an even exchange for a new pair of frames without issue. Two years later, walking into his store, I was not only asked about my growing family, I was greeted by name!! It is apparent he loves what he does, knows his craft and is customer and is a perfectionist. I wear eyewear out of necessity but also love it for the style. While I continue to love the frames I purchased from Michael 3 years ago, I am starting to get the itch for a new pair. Executive Eyewear, without question, is where I will go.

• Bo
      Mar 31, 2014

Michael Rich is nice until he screws up and then uses abuse to dispense with dissatisfied customers. He brought my wife to tears and screamed at my elderly Aunt. This guy is seriously disturbed and should be avoided at all costs.

Jul 09, 2014

I so agree with these comments. I recently bought glasses from this establishment. When looking for the glasses, Michael was great. However, trouble came when I went to get them. They weren't done on time and he wouldn't return a call to me. Because of this I decided to go in to the store. Upon entering the store I watched this man berate a customer who was complaining
    because of the same thing that I was. He swore at her and yelled excessively. After the lady left, i mentioned to him how disturbed I was by his behavior. Consequently, he began to yell and excessively swear at me. I was so disturbed that I instantly asked for a refund. He refused to give it and continued on with his rant. Another staff member, a young lady, stepped in to apologize for his behavior. After her apology, while in shock, I gathered my new glasses and left. Michael then went on to continue to yell and swear at me as I left. This man is unprofessional, a BULLY, and completing unable to manage his emotions and behavior. I too was ready to call police. I will never return again. It's a shame, he does good work but is out of control!

Aug 29, 2014

Michael Rich has finally imploded. He was evicted from his store. Hope no one was harmed by him in the process.

• Ai
      Oct 15, 2014

Does anybody know whether he relocated anywhere? I had some glasses made in July, got them in August, then went on vacation for three weeks, talked to him several times about correcting something but he always had an excuse not to do at that moment. Reached him again yesterday, and he gave me an address where he supposedly is. Went there is morning and address did not exist, now also his phone numbers are disconnected.Does anybody have an idea?

• He
      Oct 31, 2014

Contact the attorney general they have been dealing with some other people who have had problems with this business

Nov 02, 2014

Landlord evicted him for non-payment of rent, according to another merchant. He was the worst retail experience I have ever had, and Amex agreed after my Ophthalmologist wrote a detailed letter about the glasses he made, and why the lenses were causing discomfort. Amex issued a full refund, which is more than he would do. He deserves to be out of business, based on how badly he handled customers. He was a bully, and didn't want to listen to problems. His miserable reputation is known far and wide in the eyeglass community.

Dec 18, 2014

Thank God the crook is out of business... Hopefully he's in jail.

• Ds
      May 09, 2015

He relocated to 627 Meigs Street 278-8634 [protected]@yahoo, com I have been waiting over a month for my glasses, lots of excuses, I hope I actually get the glasses and they are worth it.