Excelsior College / Astronomical Failure Rates

A student spends years and thousands of dollars pursuing her RN degree with Excelsior. After all the tests are passed, she can finally take the CPNE - an examination of her nursing skills. Mind you, this costs $1825 to take. That's not including the airfares to get there (no, they don't test in every state - only a few). Oh, and you'll need to rent a hotel room (about $90/night for 5 nights). And of course, you'll need to rent a car to get there. Then when you take the all intimidating examination - you'll be failed for something so small you can't believe they get away with it. Your whole career goals/dreams down the drain!!! Go to a regular nursing school. They are way cheaper, and way faster. Don't buy into the supposedly convenience factor. The tests are so hard, you'd actually spend less time in a traditional school. Please people, don't let what happened to me happen to you. Peace !

Comments

• Jl
      16th of Apr, 2009

I have to agree with you 100%. I "failed" the CPNE 2 times and refused to pay a 3rd time. I regret the amount of money wasted at Excelsior but wanted to advance my career so I went to a community college, excelled there, and graduated 3rd in my class. I honestly feel bad for all of the nursing students who are trying to prepare for the CPNE. I could go on and on about it.

23rd of Apr, 2009

I passed the CPNE the first time in 2006. Great program, transfered ALL my Excelsior college credits to a state college and now finishing up my BSN. Thanks Excelsior. Some of the people who complain about Excelsior and fail is due to not preparing for the CPNE and not going directly through Excelsior but through CPNE mills who do take your money.

• Su
      26th of Apr, 2009

Excelsior is a big scam, that have to pass a few people to make it look legit
    This is a big waste of time and money, they are just suckering people all over the USA. When there comes a time and they get sued, Ill be right there, Anyone interested in sharing there bad experiences and want to go to court with me, just email me and will talk.
    email is tekbec69@yahoo.com
    I went all three times, and major waste of money and time and energy
    there was many major flaws with excelsior
    you dont get the whole 2 and half hour, you dont even have access to charts and a report from the nurse, last clinical, I couldnt even delclare my vitals, never even had access to a themometer, and was in the room for an hour,
    I even did the appeal, they didnt even read what happen to me,
    so totally disguised. I beg anyone who is even thinking about it, dont do it,
    I

• Ru
      12th of Sep, 2009

I am in the process of taking the CPNE right now. I to have spent thousands of dollars. I failed over noted labeling a dressing with an ace wrap dressing chance with tape, time and intials, I work in orthopaedics and have never seen tape on an ace wrap. Next, I had a patient with a poor report on, the CE was to busy wanting to get finished, I was rushed and messed up a care plan. I even attended a work shop. However I didn't sign an ace wrap dressing but my CE pulled Potassium 20 meq instead of 40 mg, I had to inform her she had made a mistake, she also pulled coumadin fro a 5PM dose which would create more physical jeopardy, especially if I hadn't been careful and did the three checks prior to administering my medications. I even had a calcium channel blocker and a betablocker. The Ce advised me to give the medication and we could take the vital signs later. I refused until I had a pulse and B/P. She should have been more at risk of failing.I would have thought since she messed up more than I did, that she would have atleast excused . The second PCS was one that was a rush rush situation and I was so anxious after being rushed and getting a report of less than 3 sentences and the assigned nurse disappeared. Forget talking to the CA, she is there for the big bucks. Now, I risk losising my current job and the imbarrassment related to this whole ordeal.

I wish there was a way that legal actions could be taken against the college. If I fail on my last PCS I will pursue legal actions. This has nothig to do with nursing, this is a joke a true nurse would be more efficient than there program, some states have began the process of no longer accepting graduates from this program. When, they should have a rated grading scale verses PASS or FAIL. For $2000, we could all have had a nice vacation and a hell of alot less stress. All this is unconstitutional and a rip of like MADOFF who scamed so many others out of their money.

In additin to this they pick patients who, apparently agree to a student, who becomes totally uncooperative with care, perhaps intentionally. Another classmate had two PCS' and neither pt would allow her to do anything for them, guess what she failed her first two also. SO do we go back for the third day after being told, " Oh, go take it easy have a nice supper and get some rest and less stress, sure spend thousands you don't have and go have less stress, so we can fail you, humilate you, and collect more and laugh because you did something stupid, when there are alot of nurse out there that probably never do the things excelsior demands. Your response would be appreciated.

13th of Sep, 2009

I feel for you. It was the most awful experience in my 15 year nursing career. I agree that there should not be a pass/fail grading unless it is a huge issue. I'm done failing as of today. I don't even get to go back for day 3. I am actually relieved. I don't think I could take another day of humiliation over such minor issues.
    Disappointed Me

13th of Sep, 2009

STOP YOUR WHINNING ALREADY! The CPNE is passable. People do pass and go on to become a Registered Nurse. I passed the first time. Was it hard, you bet, but I was prepared. If you are properly prepared, can do the critical elements in your sleep, in pain, without even thinking, you will pass. Most people who fail are not ready, have not put in the proper study time, and think it's an EASY way to get your RN. It's not easy, why should it be. Exclesior is tell the boards of nursing that either you are a skilled RN or that you are not.
    Until everyone of you ACCEPT the responsibility that you failed because you were not prepared, did not preform the critical elements as stated in the CPNE book, and trying to blame eveyone else for your failures, you will never pass the CPNE or any other RN program.
    The CPNE is not just about knowing the critical elements, it's about your attitude, a take charge attitude. You have total control over your CPNE. You can ask question, followup, go fast, go slow, you are given the same amount of time for each CPNE, so no one can say, "I WAS RUSHED". If you were rushed, it's because you were not prepared and let your nerves take over. You have to be in total control when you are in the CPNE, there's no way you can let anything or anyone, including the examiners, distract you.
    Every person who took the CPNE with me passed, on the first attempt. It's not a scam, yes it is expensive just like any other private college.
    You get out of the Excelsior College Nursing Program what you put into it. I studied for a year just to prepare myself for the CPNE.
    So for those of you who are complaining about your failures, take responsibility for your actions, mistakes, and move forward with a new attitude and action plan, that's what nursing is all about, having a plan, not complaining.

• Dw
      13th of Mar, 2018

@rnchadwick You sound like someone who hasn't really taken the cpne. Even those who pass dissagree with you!! You are probably an employee of Excelsior.

14th of Sep, 2009

I'm glad that you are so holier than thou that you know what everyone else's experience was like. You know nothing about how much I studied or how stupid the reasons for my failure was. I have been a nurse fo a long time and am very sure in my care. I was nervous when the CPNE started but failing was not on my mind. I just wasted over $2000 dollars taking the exam so you have no right to tell me not to complain. The site I took my test at was being audited at the time so nothing was up for discussion. I'll whine all I want until "I" feel better.

21st of Sep, 2009

Yes, I've been through the 3 day hell and i was unsuccessful. I did not enroll in Excelsior because it was going to be easy. In fact lpn school was not easy, however I was susccessful. The CPNE is indescribable until you've been there. I do not believe that any of us should take offense when we vent about our cpne. I am sure that all of our experiences were different. There were 7 of us (3 of whom were repeaters) and only 3 were successful(2 repeaters). To the person that passed, congratulations but remember you are not the only one that prepared and please don't be so bragadocious. To all of us who weren't successful let's regroup and think about what we are going to do about the careers that we want to achieve. I believe that with God all things are possible and that he has a plan for each one of us.

• Ra
      29th of Oct, 2009

Anybody interested in starting up a class action lawsuit against Excelsior?The nursing program is a scam!..and for those who disagree keep in mind that the "school" does have to pass some for obvious reasons.

29th of Oct, 2009

WOW, sue a college because you cannot pass due to your own lack of knowledge. Wonder who else you want to sue because of past failures.

29th of Oct, 2009

EXCELSIOR IS A GREAT COLLEGE OF NURSING. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS. PEOPLE DO PASS AND BECOME EXCELLENT REGISTERED NURSES. OTHERS SOMETIMES FAIL AND BLAME EVERYONE BUT THEMSELVES FOR THEIR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS AS A REGISTERED NURSE.

GO EXCELSIOR!!! GET COLLEGE.

1st of Nov, 2009

excelsior is a big rip out, most of the classes you take there will not transfer to a real college,
    the people who did pass the excelsior program were not as smart as they think. Baby is was pure luck. The excelsior ce are not very bright. Most are total idiots. I had a ce who actually caused pain to a pt, she caused physical jeopardy. So before you feel so proud of yourself, those who did pass, it has nothing to do skill, or smarts, you just happen to get lucky in the random people who they have to pass. knowledge has nothing to do with it, Its a money scheme, just because you were one of the lucky one whom got picked in this lottery.
    I guaranteed that anyone whom, went through the classes and passed, all were ready to take the state board and pass, and again dont pat yourself on the back, your not that bright, you cant see the underline of this scheme,

2nd of Nov, 2009

Not so Merry are you Christmas. As for you assumption that colleges do not transfer credits from Excelsior. YOU are WRONG! I got my BSN from a "REAL" college and now working on my MSN. All of the credits transfer from Excelsior, why, because Excelsior is accredited by the NLN just like other colleges. Am I proud, you bet I am. Was I lucky as you stated with all your venum, NO, I just was prepared. It's the bitter loosers like you who are always complaining. The lucky ones are the people in your community who don't have to have you as a Registered Nurse since you do not have the skills to pass the CPNE from Excelsior.

AGAIN, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE WHINNING, COMPLAINTS FROM PEOPLE WHO CANNOT PASS THE CPNE DUE TO NOT BEING PREPARED. THERE IS NO LUCK, JUST HARD STUDING, AND EXCELLENT NURSING SKILLS. THE ONE'S WHO FAIL JUST DON'T HAVE THE NECESSARY SKILLS TO BE A REGISTERED NURSE.

• Pi
      6th of Nov, 2009

I wish there were more postings regarding the Pass/Fail experiences. I have my CPNE coming up soon and I'm nervous as hell. I have all the prep materials, dvd, and am contemplating signing up for the workshop. I did rather well on the theory exams and did not have any problems in that area. I just hope I can keep my "cool" and perform the skills I know I'm capable of. Any more advice out there?

7th of Nov, 2009

Dear Piscean2378,

My only advice to you and all others is that hopefully you went DIRECTLY THRU EXCELSIOR COLLEGE and got all of the prep materials, dvd, and take the workshop thru EXCELSIOR COLLEGE. DO NOT TAKE THE WORKSHOP OR GET MATERIALS FROM OTHER COMPANIES WHO STATE THEY HAVE A 99 OR SO PASS RATE AND CLAIM THE ARE AFFILIATES OF EXCELSIOR. PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL EXCELSIOR COLLEGE OF NURSING DIRECTLY. WHEN I TOOK MY CPNE I TOOK ALL OF THE COURSES, GOT ALL OF MY MATERIALS AND TOOK THE WORKSHOP AND DEALT DIRECTLY WITH EXCELSIOR. ONE OTHER LPN TOOK ALL OF HER COURSES THRU SOME OTHER COMPANY AND SHE FAILED BECAUSE THEY HAD OUTDATED EXCELSIOR MATERIALS.
    Good luck Piscean stay focused and you will pass.

21st of Nov, 2009

If Excelsior was so great, why didn't you get your BSN with them? In fact, instead of being a non-supportive role model, go start up the first blog on the net how great the CPNE is and buzz off. You sound as though you are on their payroll. There is no reason that any program should be designed like this! If so, the pass rate would be higher and all states would accept the program. Besides, it should never be about memorizing a bulleted form of nursing care! I will never do that in the real world!

22nd of Nov, 2009

Disappointed and Numb,
    I did take some BSN courses through Excelsior, due to personal obligations, I had to transfer all of my Excelsior College credits to another college.

As for you comments about memorizing a bulleted form of nursing care, I did'nt find that memorization helped to pass the CPNE, knowledge about nursing is what helped me pass the CPNE.

As for your negative comment, "sound as though you are on their payroll", no I'm not employeed by Excelsior, but believe they would be a great college of nursing to work for.

Lastly, I hope I am a positive role model for others to know that the CPNE is passable, and many people do pass. To be negative about failing is just what others do not need to hear in the nursing world. Instead of complaining about the Excelsior, Disappointed and Numb, why don't you start a "Why I'm so Negative" blog. If you turned all of that negative energy into a postive, I'm sure you could pass the CPNE.

Have a great day.

EXCELSIOR ROCKS!!!

• Ky
      18th of Dec, 2009

I too attempted to pass the test 3 times. Failed. The original program that hooked me up with Excelsior College offered materials and promised a CPNE class to prepare for my trip to Wisconsin. After I had spent thousands of dollars in hard earned money to pass all of my tests and get ready to take the final study session through the original program, they informed me not enough students signed up for it, and they could not find an instructor. Left me out in the cold. I did find some people who were needing people to study with and purchased items needed to practice for the exam myself. I practiced day and night. Practiced until my husband and kids could have passed themselves. I memorized the script like it was my social security number. I was confident I could pass this thing. When I failed the second time, I appealed the decision. I recieved a standard letter and the response was as if the dean or the "commitee" did not even read my appeal. There was no refrence what so ever to my circumstance. I kind of new in the pit of my gut it was a scam at that time. I felt that I was had. I called and spoke with the dean about my concern to test a third time as I had reported that the nurse with me had lied about my performance. She told me that the CA and CE would never know I appealed. (I choose to return to Racine for the 2nd time) and she also assured me the appeal process was there to be used and I did the right thing to appeal. (Lot of good it did me) when I returned to Racine I knew from the get go I was screwed. Just the atmosphere given off by the CA. The nurse who I had reported lying was my last nurse to be my CE. I realized I had made a big mistake in testing there again, but did every thing I needed to do, and handed in my final paper knowing I would pass. NOT. I forgot to measure the milk the pt. did not drink. He had the cup in his room before I began. I did not measure it because he had it before my time began. Failed. Flew home totally disapointed in the program I believed was going to get me to RN status. After all they put you through and All the $ I spent, I should have passed on stamina alone. I feel like it should be assured that all students are treated the same. Some CEs help you, some dont. It is not an even playing field. I think Excelsior should really look in to this blatant favoritism with some of the students, and condesending arrogance some of the CAs and CE exhibit. It does exist. And all of you hard workers that did pass, all I can say is congratulations. You deserved it. But also, maybe you reminded your CE of her Aunt Matilda that use to read to her at night when her mommy and daddy were late getting home. Maybe I reminded mine of the ### that ran over her dog and sped off. I don't know, but it's been 8 months and I still cry about it sometime. The way some people can just rip you off without even a blink of an eye and leave one standing there without anything to show for it. GO to a traditional college and get a real teacher. People who teach tehemselves are pretty smart, but it won't matter sometimes.

3rd of Jan, 2010

such sad stories. as a EC student i am concern about their, pass/ fail situation. i do belive it should a rotation even if it last a few weeks. We do know the expence, but there are so much people out there that take pleasure in capitalizing on vonerable people who are egar to better them self, so sad . I have come so far i have to push on through, i will pray over the matter with God nothing is impossible.

• Ne
      25th of Jan, 2010

Is there anyone out there ready for a class action law suit email me at nhjbrock@yahoo.com