Examiner.com / Examiner.com withholding earned pay

1 555 17th Street, Suite 400, Denver, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 303-291-8800

Examiner.com has withheld money I earned as an independent contract (writer) for them. The amount due now totals over $6000 for February and March 2010 payments. After many attempts to at least be kept informed, they announced that they would be withholding my earned pay because my methods of promotion of my articles was not within their terms of agreement.

I never signed any contract stating I could not use the means of promotion that I did. Therefore, I am owed the money earned and I am now seeking damages.

I have filed complaints with both the BBB and the Colorado State Attorney General's office.

DO NOT WORK OR WRITE FOR EXAMINER.COM

Comments

• La
      9th of Apr, 2010

Thanks SO much for the warning. The Examiner actually turned me down for a writing job, must have been my lucky day.

• Te
      8th of Jul, 2010

What type of promotion did you use that was supposedly against their terms and conditions? I was just asked to write for them today and I want to make sure the same thing does not happen to me.

• Ex
      19th of Jul, 2010

They do this all the time, someone needs to fight for the freelance writer. Any Attorney's reading this could make a killing in a class action suite, as I'm sure you would have hundreds of potential claims.

19th of Jul, 2010

Get this one, the Channel Manager specifically ASKED me to refer people to write for this two-bid organization. So, I did and I have a huge network of friends from online sources such as Facebook and other social networking sites.

I got an email on Friday from the Examiner.com legal department stating my account was suspended. You know why? Because it's $50 per referral and I sent the opportunity to hundreds of people. At last count I had something like 30 referrals, you do the math that $1500 they are trying to avoid paying me!!

I'm boiling mad!!

• El
      19th of Jul, 2010

As advised I have forwarded my complaint of being shut out of my account on 7/17 to the Colorado BBB and State Attorney's Office.

I also gave a lot of referrals and got the Examiner.com nasty-gram email that I was locked out of my account pending my background check. Well, according to THEIR OWN RULES I have 30 days to complete the background check!!! I only started on 7/7/2010 that's 10 days.

This organization does not want to pay but they sure want to use and abuse everyone they can.

• Ba
      20th of Jul, 2010

Nice to know that Examiner.com retains people who love to publicly slander others on the Internet and yet screws people who write good articles and deserve every bit of pay coming to them including referral money!

• To
      30th of Jan, 2011

Totally agree!!!
    When it came pay time, did not see one thin dime. Even after making the $25.00 quota.

After complaining, they claimed I didn't put my five articles at a dollar apiece was not submitted, yet it was plain as day that the articles were published to the website.

They are a bunch of thieves

• Li
      6th of Apr, 2011

Same thing happened to me.