Europcar International / frustrating service/no refund for early return

Coatesville, PA, United States

I booked my rental on the web through CARHIRE, ie. on 5/6/17 for 7 days from 9/2/17 to 9/9/17 with pick up Dublin Center City, drop off in Galway. Reservation # 1015351. To begin with it took several emails to get the price I was was originally quoted. Arrived at 8:35 am for 9 am pick and waited in line for 45 minutes to get to service rep at counter. Surprise, no Ford Focus diesel available. Finally agreed to BMW, but payed for reduced charge for upgrade, the "special offer" for that day. It felt like a "bait and switch." Lesson learned.

Plans for travel changed and we decided to return car one day early in Galway City. Called the number for that office multiple times in literature provided. Got voice recording and another number to call. Same thing with that number and response that someone would get back to me. We allowed sufficient time to drive to Galway before 9 am on 9/8. Had tried calling the number earlier that morning to let them know I was coming in, but same voice message. Unfortunately, due to a combination of factors (car GPS that took us through heart of city to the wrong place, morning traffic, two construction detours, and getting lost) we finally arrived at office, a few minutes after 10 am. Waited a few minutes for rep to register car returned at 10:10 am. I was told grace period for a return was 1 hr, and they could not refund the cost for the day, and the phone number I was given in the literature was not their number. Despite my efforts to reach the office and being given the wrong contact information, they said the computer program would not allow them to override the charge for the day.

Ok, Eurpocar can't control traffic, but providing the wrong information, proving on my phone I had called multiple times, and refusing to consider the circumstances that led to the 10 minutes past the allowable time, is wrong.

I believe I should have been refund the cost of the rental and insurance for that day. You may be in the car rental business, but you are also in the people business. I can assure you I will not recommending your agency to any of my friends who travel.

I would appreciate a response to this email and request you reconsider refunding the one day cost for my rental.

George Carlino