Europcar / fees for disabled car

Ireland Review updated:

August 13, 2012 my friend and I rented a car at Belfast Intl. airport. As we were driving to our friends' house, we had trouble with the clutch. After discussing with friends, I contacted Europcar and asked for a replacement vehicle. I was told someone would get back to me. About 3 1/2 hours later, we left to go to a nearby village for dinner and on the way the clutch quit working altogether, leaving us stranded and barely able to get to a safe parking spot. We had driven this car only 52 miles and only had it for 9 hours. Europcar would not replace it and charged us over $1500 for repairs. I filed a claim with Mastercard the morning after the car broke down and they spent many months trying to get documentation as to damage, etc and they never received any damage estimate from Europcar. To top it off, on our flight home, we met a group of women from New York that had the EXACT same issue with the clutch in their car; they had rented from the same location and car rental company. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think Europcar is running a scam and figure that once you've returned home, you will give up the fight and just pay them. To say that this put a damper on our trip is an understatement. And because we had to go elsewhere to find a car at the height of tourist season, we ended up paying a premium price for a replacement. I just wish there was some way to hold Europcar accountable.

Jo
Apr 29, 2013

Comments

•   Apr 30, 2013