Europcar / excess charge
We were charged $500 + for a tyre by Europcar at the Sydney Airport. Europcar said that the tyre needed to be replaced which may or may not be the case as it is possible that all that was required was a simple patch. Regardless, the company claims to have replaced the tyre. We do not dispute that the tyre was flat at the time of returning it to the airport - what we do dispute is the excessive charge levied by Europcar.
Checking into the prices of a replacement tire for the make and model that we rented (HOLDEN CRUZE CDX SEDAN), the following website indicates that the price for a new tyre is $99. (http://www.saveontyres.com.au/tyres.html?tyre_width=74&tyre_profile=48&tyre_diameter=36). Even if a different brand of tyre was selected, the replacement cost certainly would not be near $500. Obviously there is a labor charge element in the price they charged us but I have checked with Bob Jane TMarts and was told that the cost to fit a new tyre would not be more than $25.
Although I am an Australian citizen, I live in London and suspect that Europcar has picked up on this and has therefore charged me way beyond what is a reasonable tyre replacement charge knowing that it would be difficult for me to argue my case of excessive charges.
Certain I would appreciate any assistance you can offer in having this charge reduced to a market rate replacement charge, but if you are unable, I would hope that other consumers are not affected by this type of dishonest business practice.
Should you need to contact me for further information on this matter, my email address is [protected]@gmail.com or by telephone at +44 [protected]
More Europcar Complaints & Reviews
- Europcar - fraud and cheating! 
- Europcar - europcar "serenity pack" scam 
- Europcar - worthless insurance cdw
- Europcar Spain - overcharging - swindle! 
- Europcar - damage surcharge 
- Europcar - charged vat on a rental advertised as being 'vat included'
- Europcar Italy, Trento - unauthorized credit card charges, unethical behaviour
- Europcar International - refund
- Europcar - damages not caused by me
- Europcar - over charging.