Europcar / overcharges

Heathrow AirportUnited Kingdom Review updated:
We recently completed a rental with Europcar from Heathrow airport. Like other posts to this board, we had the attendant go over the vehicle and he agreed that everything was fine and there would be not further charges.

A week later, I found a charge to my credit card for 350 pounds. Four days later, a second charge of 350 pounds was posted.

Unfortunately, we live in North America and I cannot go down to the Europcar office to complain. I sent a query in through the Europcar website and received a reply stating that it would be forwarded to customer service. I tried to call Europcar on two different numbers (no toll free service1!). One rang contiunuously without an answer. The second was always busy.

I have put in a challenge on all Europcar charges through my credit card company and contacted the travel agent through which we rented the car. Hopefully I will get my money back.

Europcar is running a scam, are untrustworthy, and are nothing more than your garden variety highway robbers.

DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM.

I feel like I have been dealing with a company in a 3rd world country. But that is probably an unfair slight to 3rd world countries.
Br

Comments

Ka
  9th of Oct, 2008
Seems to be happening worldwide, we had a similar problem in Barcelona with them. The car was still dirty from the previous rental, when we got home we had an extra £286 added to our credit card without our knowledge. I have emailed Customer Services in the UK three times with no reply, tried to call them on several occasions, once ringing for 10 mins with no reply and on 4, yes 4, occasions the phone was picked up and put straight down again.
Still no response to our query as to what this sum was. Will never use them again on our trips to Spain, they have lost what could have been repeat custom from us and our immediate family and friends.
Fg
  22nd of Jul, 2010
same just happened to us in South Africa...
Tr
  9th of Aug, 2011
Yep same exact experience. One hour wait even though it was prepaid. Then they charged me twice on the credit card and impossible to find a number anywhere to complain.

Europcar International Logo Europcar International