Europcar / europcar "serenity pack" scam
My partner and I hired a car with Europcar which was collected from and returned to Bergerac airport. Upon returning to the UK we noticed that we had been charged an extra £179.98! -- a complete surprise to both of us as we had returned the car as we had found it, with a full tank and had checked with the staff at Europcar in Bergerac that everything was OK. After two failed email attempts and several phone calls we discovered that we had apparently agreed to sign up for a "Serenity Pack", which includes comprehensive insurance (no excess) and allows you to return the tank empty at no extra charge. However, we were not informed at the time that we were signing up to an extra insurance package (no mention of it at all), and we certainly didn't request it when we reserved the car online -- it was simply added at the time of booking, and in a very discrete way at that. I was asked to initial next to it, and didn't look close enough.
Indeed, we had already taken out insurance to cover the excess with another company (so didn't need it). Furthermore, we were specifically told by the staff at Europcar that we should return the car with the tank full, which contradicts the package that we had signed for.
A search online reveals that many other people have fallen into the same trap of accidentally signing for nearly £200 of extra insurance, without being informed.
I have been appalled both at the fact we have been charged for this, without any verbal agreement, and with Europcar's response -- they didn't get back to me after numerous enquiries and forced me to chase them.
I have posted this review here:
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/transport-international/europcar/ and also here
and would like to encourage others to get in touch via this thread -- perhaps we can all complain together!
More Europcar Complaints & Reviews
- Europcar - fraud and cheating! 
- Europcar - worthless insurance cdw
- Europcar Spain - overcharging - swindle! 
- Europcar - damage surcharge 
- Europcar St. Maarten - rental car scam 
- Europcar International - car hire dublin airport - baby car seats
- Europcar International - 5 waiting hours to deliver car reservation on time
- Europcar International - rental car
- Europcar International - not full tank!
- Europcar International - lack of damage report and repair estimate