[Resolved] Ethan Allen / Sales associate attitude

1 Setauket, NY, United States Review updated:

This afternoon my husband and I were shopping to furnish our new 1700square foot home. We were in the Setauket store on Long Island and spoke with a sales associate named Kathy. She asked us what we were looking for and we indicated a sectional for our den. She mentioned that the only sectional they had in the store was the one we just looked at. We indicated that we would be interested in looking at other sofa and love seat set ups. She immediately asked what our budget was. We said approximately $3000. She told us that $3000 would not be enough and looked at us uncomfortably. We proceeded to leave. I have never felt so bad about myself in my whole life. My husband and I are two young professionals, purchasing our first home. What I am suggesting is that their sales associates not judge a book by its cover. We were willing to stretch our budget in order to purchase a quality product and an open minded sales associate would have showed us the merchandise and let us decide what we could or could not afford. I would assume that Ethan Allen would like to attract new business, but they will not do that by alienating younger generations. Mark my words, I will never step foot in another Ethan Allen as long as I live after the way the associate Kathy made me feel today.

• Resolution statement

• Ethan Allen Customer Care's Response, Sep 22, 2009

I am sorry to hear of this situation and have copied and forwarded your comments to our Vice President of Retail so she can review this to prevent a similar situation from occuring in the future.

Respectfully,
    Paula Mandeville
    Director, Retail Services
    203.743.8257
    Pmandeville@ethanalleninc.com

Comments

• Ka
      30th of Aug, 2009

Wow!! How horrible!! In my opinion, she had NO right asking that. NONE! You should have asked to speak to her superior and let them know that you were no longer a fan of their company nor comfortable roaming the store to look at their merchandise after you were treated so poorly. Some people..

• Bl
      12th of Oct, 2009

I do get the feeling that the sale associates are looking for the cash cow, as well, and its not about being helpful so much as who is going to get them $$. I am pretty sure they work on a commission. Thus, they "eyeball" you based on your dress/watch/purse, etc. Also, they tend to soft sales push items that are not what you're looking for, necessarily.

We just purchased two things from Ethan Allen today-- a bed frame and a dresser-- for about $3500. I am crossing my fingers to make sure this is not a mistake. I am hoping the furniture will be delivered on time and as promised. I am hoping its all good quality.

Nevertheless, to address the person's experience above-- we went to two different Ethan Allen's-- the first one was a bit strange with the woman sort of pushing us to buy the entire bedroom set (up to 10-12k) when we were not only not ready, but that was not within our budget (to buy everything at once in this economic environment). We walked out but it was sort of weird. She assumed if we were to buy the bed, we would also want the dresser(s), nightstand(s), armiore... the whole 9 yards. And then she wanted to be our "design consultant" and "design" our room. We were only looking at furniture!! and only wanted a bed and a dresser!

The next EA we went to was close to my parent's house and about 20 miles away. The woman was friendly and nice, but I felt awkward in the store b/c I was not "dressed up". I am about 8 months pregnant, it is Columbus Day, I took the day off to shop, and wanted to be comfortable. Suffice it to say, I felt that the people at the store were looking down on me as if I could not afford EA. I can afford it, if I wanted to clean out my savings and such, but I am not ready to do so given the current economic environment.

In any case, we did end up purchasing the two things we wanted, but I wish that I did not have to feel like these people, who are friggin sales people, by the way, are judging me! I am an ivy educated professional and my partner is in medicine. Between the two of us, we have two professional degrees (forthcoming) and a doctorate. It really is odd being looked down upon by salespeople b/c we don't wear our resumes on our forehead or "appear" to be able to afford the whole 9 yards. You're frigging salespeople, after all!

4th of Apr, 2010

You are better off not buying their furniture. I have bedroom furniture, ottomans and chairs from there. Only the chairs are holding up reasonably well, everything else is falling apart (veneer peeling off bedrails, buttons falling apart on ottomans (the rest of the button that's left is sharp enough to cut yourself on by the way. I ended up going down to the nurse in my building because I cut myself so bad on it). It's very, very overpriced for the quality.

• Ce
      4th of Apr, 2010

"I have never felt so bad about myself in my whole life.". Good grief... are you serious?? Were you shopping for furniture or getting a terminal diagnosis? Toughen up, she's only a shop girl for goodness sake.

I can certainly appreciate that being treated rudely *is* inappropriate, but how in the world is asking what your budget is problematic...? That's a completely reasonable question. I would think it MUCH more annoying to spend an afternoon shopping and find the salesperson is showing me items priced far beyond what I'm willing or able to spend; and thus wasted my time. If he/she made insulting statements based on what my spending choices were, I would have certainly been annoyed - and just taken my business elsewhere.

Make no mistake... commissioned sales staff don't care you have a PhD (or two, or five) or if you're clean sewers for a living. They only care about how much you'll spend with them. That's precisely why their employer compensates them based on their sales. To assume where you went to school, or what you do for a living matters when purchasing furniture seems a bit naive to me, if not a bit disconnected. Why in the world should anyone care what a salesperson thinks of their credentials in the first place? They're in retail sales... much like waiting tables, it's what people do when they're waiting for a better job to come along. There's no reason to let some ego-fluffed shop girl's attitude ruin your day.

• Pe
      30th of Mar, 2011

My wife and I purchased our new home last year. With referral from my partner, we went to Ethan Allen at City of Industry for our new furniture. We bought a set of dining chairs of 8 chairs total and other stuff. We spent more than $10, 000 at store. The service during the sale was good. We had very nice designer and things went well. About months ago, we got first six chairs delivered. It was a raining day and we rush to get the furniture in and let go the deli every people. Next day, I noticed that the seams around fibric at back of the chair is too noticeable. Then I took some pictures and took it to the store in City of industry on 3-6-2011 (I remember this because we ran into our designer, Nam, on 3-5 at Santa Monica Beach) .
    We show the photos to Nam and she agrees that the seams was done poorly.
    Three week after that, no one call and nothing comes back from Ethan Allen. We call the designer and she told us she already give to her manager. Almost another week pass, nothing happened. My wife called the store asks to speak to the manager. The lady answer the phone did not identify who she is, told my wife that they discussed the matter and looked at our picture. They had decided that there is nothing wrong with the chair. After my wife told me, I called and spoke with Pam. I express my unsatification with their services. She just told me that she feel sorry that I felt that way about Ethan Allen. Her sarcastic attitude and tone just escalated the heat of the conversation. I ask her that if Ethan Allen backing up their own product, then she told me "Unfortunately that they don't". I then asked for her supervisor. She gave the number and email address. I wrote the email to the district manager, Peter Drazba. He didn't response right away. Then I wrote another email. Same day afternoon, he called me back and sounds like unhappy because he said that I did not give him a chance to respond. Because he was busy for meeting. I spent almost an hour with him. Mr. Drazba was talking nothing but protect his employee. Then, I already knew that I am in deep trouble. Once people in the same corporation is ganging up, the customer is getting no where. I knew that because I was a bureaucrat for 25 years.
    I really don't understand is why I spent so much money and I have to beg for mercy from Ethan Allen. Up to now, no one was bothered to take a look the product in question. The person who I talk to first, Pete in wood product transfers my complaint to Lisa and who is sick. They all sound helpful but all are back to the East. I was wonder why who is doing the business in California.
    Oh, by the way, there are two types of Ethan Allen, Corporate Store and Franchised. The Franchised Store told me that I shouldn't buy from the Corporate Store because they don't care.
    This experience shows that Ethan Allen’s bureaucracy is higher than government bureaucrat.

I followed the instruction and almost a week now, there is still no positive answer. I wish the president of Ethan Allen has a chance to know my story.

Internet can overturn a country, I am pretty sure it can take down the Ethan Allen. If I can spent my time write this paragraph, Sure I will continue to do this until the issue can be result.

So whoever read this, please help me related the message and help yourself not to step into my mistake.

• De
      16th of Jul, 2011

wish i had looked at all the post about ethan allen before i bought my table and chairs... the people at the store where i bought it is rude and will not do anything about it... the table and chairs are beautiful but do not function in my small kitchen, but the designer that came out says i should just play with the chairs and move them around to make it work. the chairs won't go under the table and stick out into this small room. i am so mad i could spit... i spent 2700. on this and i am going to keep trying to get someone to make this right... NEVER NEVER BUY FROM ETHAN ALLEN>>> They will take your money and run!!!

• Lo
      13th of Feb, 2016

The same thing happened to us today in the store!!! I to was humiliated and left to feel like I was not good enough to be in their store.. The sad thing my husband is in the military and fights for this country! I will never go to Ethan Allen again!