[Resolved] Ethan Allen / table top

NJ, United States Review updated:
In July 2008, I purchased a dining table to be used in my newly remodeled kitchen. Furniture took 3 months to be delivered. (toast/cotton) were the color stains of the wood. In addition, 4 cushioned dining chairs were coordinated. After one week of using the table with a cloth and mats, the matte table top finish began to wear down and form shiney spots which looked like grease spots from afar. It gave the appearance of a dirty, greasy table. A repairman came out to "take pictures". Ethan Allen responded by saying that this is normal wear and tear. Hah!!. One week later and this is NORMAL. They refuse to do anything else, however, they do recommend that I have a Guardsman re-finish, at my own expense. I will NEVER purchase from them again. In today's economy, I don't think they will be getting too many customers to spend their prices for such crummy quality. Also, my furniture chairs were made in China and the seats have no bottom supports. I'm waiting for the day when the cushions will just fall to the floor. Crummy customer relations at a very HIGH price. Stay awayfrom them!!

Resolution statement

Ethan Allen Customer Care's Response, Jan 06, 2009
At Ethan Allen we are committed to providing our clients with superior service and a total design experience. We would like to take this opportunity to offer our assistance. Please contact us at 203.743.8663 via telephone or email Paula Mandeville, our Director of Retail Services at Pmandeville@ethanalleninc.com.
Ma

Comments

Wa
  21st of Jul, 2009
I purchased a pedestal dining room table and an end table from Ethan Allen about three years ago. The dining table has completely lost all of its varnish and looks worn, and the end table's stain is starting to chip away. Ethan Allen has refused to fix the merchandise and is claiming that it is normal wear and tear. I am appalled by their lack of loyalty to their customers. I will never set foot in another Ethan Allen store again. I would certainly recommend shopping elsewhere for anything you need for your house since their quality has not withstood even three years of normal use!
Ka
  26th of Nov, 2009
Well, this is resourceful. What a pity, I was so going to purchase the exact pedestal table in toast/cotton this weekend. I'm so bummed to read that they didn't stand by what seemed like a very good warranty. We have our bedroom sets in Ethan Allen... a few coffee tables and a console. No problems there, but this is very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post this, I wouldn't be thrilled to learn this bit of tidbit on my own accord. Know it helped make up my mind.
Br
  17th of Jan, 2010
Mary,
I have asked several stores why the seat support in my dining chairs are cutout. I have discussed this in person also. No one has any idea at all. I asked a tech guy in their manufacturing facility and he had no idea either - he suggested it might be to reduce shipping costs from China. I was shocked. Checking the underside of the chairs confirmed that they were made in China. I am very disappointed to see this given that Ethan Allen promotes its products as made in USA.
I also have a problem with surface finish on a table and a drawer in a map table. I have given up on customer service. I am a manufacturer myself and realize in a situation like this, there is no way they can make it right - the craftsmanship and integrity is not there in the first place.
I will do the best to service this myself - refinish the table top and repair the drawer. Live with the chairs. If I am ambitious, perhaps even try to replace the chair seat support.
Brian