Ethan Allen / inferior quality of furniture

Watchung, NJ, United States

I selected Ethan Allen to view and eventually purchase furniture for our new home because of their reputation for quality. While the selection process was a fairly positive one, my experience since the furniture has been delivered has been anything but. I did respond to a questionnaire that was sent to me explaining my experience, but to date have not heard from anyone. In the end I am posting an online complaint because having spent over $31, 000 I have to advocate for myself.

1. The Gregory console doors are extremely difficult to open and close.

2. The Reeves tall dresser was delivered with a scratch underneath the finish on one of the drawers. Rather than replace the entire dresser Ethan Allen picked up the single drawer, refinished it off-site and returned it. The newly stained drawer did not match the other 4 drawers; Ethan Allen finally sent a new dresser. The process involved a lot of phone calls back and forth and a lot of time wasted on my part waiting for delivery people to pick up and drop off.

3. The design consultant in the Watchung, NJ store knew I was purchasing furniture to be placed in a great room. One end of the dining table and chairs would be placed less than 10' from the 2 recliners I liked. With that in mind the design consultant suggested Lachlan Gray for the Hadley Arm Parson Leg dining chair and Marcus Gray for the 2 Colburn recliners. In the store the fabrics were a match in terms of the gray color. I even purchased two same color rugs for the dining area and TV viewing area. Upon delivery it was easy to see the Lachlan Gray was indeed grey, but the Marcus Gray was beige. I was told by the design consultant to send her the swatch underneath the Colburn chairs. Her response to my complaint was that she spoke to the store manager. They decided the fabric on the Colburn recliners "reads" gray and was within an acceptable range even though it looks beige. I spent the past few months trying to find the fabric used by Ethan Allen eventually zeroing in on the Duralee Williamsburg Collection (Plaids & Stripes). In the Durallee book Pattern DJ61282/Color 698 Black/Linen is what Ethan Allen calls Lachlan Gray. The Durallee Pattern DM61278/Color 15 Grey is what Ethan Allen calls Marcus Gray. The Duralee greys match exactly.

What Ethan Allen considers acceptable is unacceptable to me; however they don't seem to care. The last thing I wanted to do was write an online complaint to customer service, but realized I should alert other potential customers.

• Updated by XYZ t, Mar 28, 2018

While not completely satisfied with the over all experience, I do have a new dresser and the console table now opens and shuts with ease. Regarding the recliners, Ethan Allen does not necessarily agree with me, but they understand my frustration and have been working with me. Over the last year I have been to four Ethan Allen stores in New Jersey. One bright spot is the Princeton location which is by far the most organized in terms of fabric choices. K.C. is a gem!

Xy