[Resolved] Ethan Allen / Buyer beware

United States Review updated:

I recently took delivery of EA American Artisan in a black finish. The product is terrible! Uneven spray patterns, obvious touch ups, the dresser top is coming off..drawers are a mess, drips in the paint...I could go on and on and have plenty of photos if anyone would like to see. I bought from the Baltimore area stores which are franchised. Whatever you do, stay away from a franchise furniture store. In addition my wife didn't understand what she was signing when she bought it and on the sales receipt the only contract info is FINAL SALE, AS IS. How can you in good faith sale new product as...AS IS! We are now trying to remedy this, but the owner has gone into hiding. I guess my next step is to contact corporate. In addition after now getting into this situation we find the product is grossly overpriced. While visiting a different store recently we found the sales people stuffed the dressers with pillows and bedding to weight them down so they would not rattle upon opening. This was a terrible mistake and I hope we can save others the pain of buying Ethan Allen junk. Not to mention, avoid the Baltimore, Maryland area stores!

• Resolution statement

• Ethan Allen Customer Care's Response, Apr 26, 2011

At Ethan Allen we are committed to providing our clients with the highest quality products, superior service, and a total design experience. We would like to take this opportunity to offer our assistance. Please contact us at 203.743.8663 via telephone or email us at [protected]@ethanalleninc.com.

Comments

• Me
      28th of Apr, 2011

I bought out bedroom set and several other pieces from Ethan Allen. I have been happy with the quality and love the style. When I was younger and just out of college, I thought the staff was very rude (guess they knew I didn't have money). 10 years later, I am much better off financially and the staff is so nice to me now (go figure)...but I try to be smart with my money. Just purchased an item, and the sales person really pushed their free in home design service. I said OK. She then picked out $4700 worth of accessories (about 12 items). Didn't really like much anything she chose ($500 pillows to place on 2 of my dining room chairs??? why?), and I thought they were way overpriced. She tried hard to make me feel bad about not purchasing the items from her (and made some comment that I might "steal" her ideas and go somewhere cheaper and said that if price was an issue that they could offer financing). I bought several hundred dollars worth of items from Pier 1, Home Decorators and Lamps Plus which really look great and a fraction of the cost and they were not similar to her "vision" so I didn't "steal" anything from her. I think it is ridiculous to assume that one store is going to have the exact items I need to accessorize.

• Ot
      8th of Dec, 2011

I am not a manager at Pier 1, but have been a manager before.

I think a lot of times people forget that managers don't have all the power in the world over their stores. Chain store managers deal with about 15-30 individual employees in their own store and are also expected to deal with other stores' employees if those stores are understaffed due to corporate overheads. Also, a manager that a customer may speak to might only be an assistant manager who happens to be present that day. If they are not scheduled to come in on the day they need to call you, they most likely can't rather than won't call you. It may also slip their minds, which is bad, but it happens. They are people too.

With about 100 customer requests a day, if not more, to do this, special order that, etc, etc, it is understandable that a mistake could have been made. However, more likely what happened in your case is that the higher ups decided not to back the manager, took the decision/power from their hands, and handled it in their usual terse manner. Please don't take out on one manager/one store what was a mishandled higher up decision. Also, in this day and age, unless you come in the day after or so, there's not telling whether or not you did or didn't cause the damage the item yourself. If it did happen that way, why is the store reliable for your rough housing?