EssentialsGold / Unauthorized charges

1 CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-405-5356

I had a charge on my latest credit card bill to ESSENTIALSGOLD [protected] CT for $189.95. I called Citi to dispute it, and they put me in touch with the company, apparently called Essentials Gold. Essentials Gold would not give me any information to allow me to dispute the charge until I gave THEM information about me, which seems backwards. I gave them my name and home phone number, and with that they were able to access my 'account.'

They tried to tell me that I had authorized this charge (not true) and indicated that it was when I had previously called Citi (maybe in connection with the issuance of my new card, but that was not clear).

They asked me what I would like to do with my Essentials Gold 'account.' I told them that I have no such account, and therefore to cancel it and give me back my money. They said that they would credit my card. Until they do, this is THEFT, plain and simple.

As others have mentioned on some web postings, I suspect that this may be in connection with the new card I recently received from Citi, and that the credit card company either screwed up somehow or is in league with Essentials Gold.

Me

Comments

• Cj
      24th of Jan, 2009

The exact thing happened to me with the exact same charge! Citibank claims that they called me, I agreed to enroll in their "Essentialsgold" program, and that I agreed - which is ridiculous. They transferred me to Essentials gold, who asked if I wanted to cancel my "account." and they would credit me the money.

Did you ever get your money back?

I don't know if this is a Citibank scam or an Essentialsgold scam, but it is robbery either way.

• Le
      12th of Feb, 2009

Same thing (with same amount) happened to me as well. I called Citi and the rep said he had had 3 similar calls that day. Didn't transfer me to the merchant, but to the Citi dept. handling unauthorized charge complaints. Gave them the info and the charge was credited within 10 days. I've lodged a complaint with Mastercard, Inc. over this (for what good that'll do).

• Ro
      29th of Oct, 2009

They haven't changed their tactics, just their price. It is now up to $199.99. I'm making my call this morning. Glad to see it can be resolved. I'm glad I check my statement every month. I wonder how many they get away with.

• Th
      22nd of Nov, 2009

Same thing here! Citibank said they can only check the past 6 months, and I've been charged every month! Criminals.

• Nk
      5th of Jan, 2010

Same thing happened to me, only I have apparently been charged a yearly "membership fee" since 2003!! Citi is claiming that this is "between me and the vendor"; the vendor claims a Citi representative signed me up; I only got a guarantee of action by Citi when I threatened to call a lawyer. CROOKS!!

30th of Jan, 2010

I also was charged by Essentials Gold for $209.95. They can't explain their service and claim I have a membership. I also threatened to call a lawyer.

Citibank and Essentials Gold are PURE CROOKS!!!

• Di
      24th of Aug, 2010

I also am a victim of this scam. Essentials Gold has been charging me since 2004! My spouse thought it was a jewelry store. I was promised a credit for 2 of 6 years worth of charges but only after threatening to write the Consumer Protection Agency. I never signed up for this service and Essentials Gold could provide no proof that I had - either in a written contract or in a recorded phone conversation. They, like the others, said that their records show that Citi was responsible for establishing the membership with me by phone but they can't prove it, nor are willing to provide a complete credit. I plan to cancel my account with Citi and communicate with my feet on this one.

• Ir
      9th of Sep, 2010

Reading your comments is like looking in a mirror! My story is almost identical. Is anyone ready to do something about this? I believe this level of FRAUD has class action lawsuit written all over it! I am sad to think of all of the people who have not caught on to this yet and are still paying these fraudulant charges.

BTW, I was told by the Essentials Gold criminals their records only go back 24 months instead of the SIX YEARS my husband has been paying what he thought was a jewelry store. As a "courtesy" to me they agreed to refund my current (July 2010) charges and those from 2009. When I demanded they at least go back and refund for the 24 months they have on file I was told they are not authorized to go back that far. I then contacted Citi and gave them ten business days to produce proof that I agreed to purchase this so-called "product" before I contact my attorney. Since no such proof exists I should hear from them soon!

Thank you for providing a place for me to vent my frustrations!

• Ti
      9th of Dec, 2010

I experienced the same scam, except that the charge is now $229.95. The Citi call enter personnel were unhelpful, referred me to Essentials Gold, and took no responsibility for these sleazy marketing tactics that Citi is facilitating. I’ve spoken to multiple people at Citi and Essentials Gold, none of whom were able to explain how this charge was authorized.

• Gr
      17th of Dec, 2010

Same beginning: A charge for $219.95 was posted to my CitiCard on Oct 25 (sale date). Luckily my call history goes back that far. The only calls that day or the week leading up to it had nothing to do with this company or Citi Cards. When I called Citi Cards this evening the lady denied any knowledge or connection between Citi and this Essentials Gold outfit. She suggested I take it up with them but eventually agreed to file a dispute for the charge and put a temporary credit on my account. I told her to close the account. She said I should wait until this was cleared up as it would be better for me. When I asked how it was better for me she had no answer. I insisted they close my account. She said their Refunds department would mail me a form I had to sign to confirm that I didn't authorize that charge. So now I have to wait for that and fill it out. I will NEVER do business with Citi again. The next thing I'm going to do is file a complaint with the FTC. If they've tried to rip you off I suggest you do the same. They've had years to knock this crap off and they're still doing it. That makes them complicit.

• Ah
      25th of Dec, 2010

I just found a charge for 229.95 on my CitiCard statement and since it is Xmas eve (Merry Christmas to me!) they were closed. I called Citicard and they told me I had been signed up and charged a yearly fee since 2003! I had them immediately cancel the account, put in a dispute and I was told by Adam the Cit Rep that I needed to call Essentials Gold next week to address the past year's charges. They referred to EG as an "affiliate company" of Citibank.

20th of Mar, 2011

Just spoke to Citi about an Essentials Gold charge of $229.95 on 1/31/11. Didn't know anything about it til I googled Essentials Gold. Never signed up for this and never would have, so it stuck out like a sore thumb on my statement. Wow, the nerve of them!! Citi rep said the charge would be rescinded in 2 business days. They must be ripping off a whole lot of folks this way.