Equal Health & Life / Fraudulent charges

Equal Health & Life
This company talked me into buying a policy without giving me information on coverage. She claimed it was all listed in the packet I would receive and I could get a refund before 60 days. I called and canceled policy four days after rec. packet. They advised I had to write a notice of cancellation and mail to Arlington office, which I did. I still have not rec'd my refund since Jan 5th when I canceled the policy. I have talked with several cust. svc rep's and a supervisor, and they all assured me it was being refunded. Now when I call they put me on hold and never come back. When I get voice mail and leave msg they don't return calls. Cust. svc keep giving me numbers to call who tell me they can't help t call another number. Today, Feb 13th I made several calls that weren't returned, re-called other numbers that were given to me and one man gave me a number for the refund dept. I called and was put on hold for 27 min. I hung up and called back two more times but got voice mail, left my number, name and policy # and still have not heard from anyone. I have come to the conclusion this company is in financial trouble and they do not intend to give me my refund. Multiply me by several thousand dis-satisfied customers and they are stealing a big chunk of money from people like me across America who think they are getting affordable and badly needed health care. Beware of this company and their high pressure tactics. Also, they took money out of my bank account after I canceled my policy. I will update this report if I hear from the company or receive my refund, which I doubt.

A  14th of Dec, 2009 by
I have a similar complaint. I was out of work for almost 6 months from Jan. 2008 - June 2008 so I took out a health policy with Equal Health. Everything was fine until I got another job (and better insurance) and tried to cancel the policy with Equal Health. I started making calls in July 2008 and finally got a call back in Aug, 2008. They assured me that my policy had been cancelled. If you call them, don't expect to reach anyone other than their answering service. (I guess they like to insulate themselves from their pesky customers.)

Fast forward to Dec. 2009, here I am still waiting for equal Health to STOP debiting my account every month. I have called them dozens of times and each time I have been assured that I am cancelled and that there will be no more money debited from my account.

Last month I got a call from Equal Health and they left a message asking me to put it in writing and send the letter to them complete with my SS#. This seems reasonable but I already sent that letter in Aug, 2008!!! I guess that maybe I should have sent the letter registered mail.

Bottom line is that I am also convinced that they are in financial trouble. My next letter is to the Insurance Commission for both the state of Texas (where Equal Health is based out of) and my home state of Indiana as well as a CC to the President of Equal Health.
N  4th of Mar, 2010 by
Have you ever thought of changing your checking account and not giving them the new one.
It works every time.