Epson / WorkForce 500 Printer

I purchased an Epson WorkForce 500 Printer, copier, (all in one type unit). (Purchased from a Target Store in Wisconsin.)
I set it up with using Just the black ink. I don't ever use the color cartridges. It comes with seperate colors (yellow, red and blue), and the black cartridge. Even though the printer is rather slow, it seemed to work okay. Then one day it would not print. A message appeared that one of the color cartridges was empty. In other words, if one of the color cartridges is empty, the whole system shuts down and it is not usable. The cartridges were either very near empty from the store, or the system is set up to say the cartridge is empty after a pre-determined length of time. I did not use the color cartridges, yet all indicate they are empty or very near empty within a few weeks of purchase. The blue cartridge said empty and the red and yellow showed a caution sign, indicating that they are very near empty.
So Epson in my opinion, may not be doing something illegal (?) but at very best is falsely advertising that you can replace each individual cartridge as needed. This is totally false advertising in my opinion. You must have ink in all cartridges to have any one cartridge work so the printer can be used. To make matters even worse, the new cartridges that came with the printer had to be very near empty to start with, or their printer is programmed to say they cartridges are empty after a certain period of time. Let me reitterate, "I did not use the color cartridges". When I sent the system up, I set it up to only use the black ink. So they can't use that as an excuse. Either they have deceptive advertising, or are selling cartridges with their new printers that are near empty. To add insult to injury, they have set up their printer so it will not work at all if any one cartridge does not have enough ink in it.
The ink (blue that was totally empty) I had to replace to make the printer work for black copies. The the printer has lines in some of the printed pages. They give instructions on how to clear the copies to be crisp and clear. That does not work. It say I don't have enough ink to clean the cartrides.

I am very disappointed with this deceptively advertised product, and would never suggest anyone to purchase from such a (in my opinion) shady company.

Comments

• Db
      26th of Dec, 2010

I have a EPSON WorkForce 600 which I purchased a little over 2 years ago. From the start it has worked flawlessly. The ink supplied with it lasted as long as any other brand I've used.
    Try removing all 4 cartridges & re-installing them. (Be sure to get them in correctly, this does take a little practice). If it still doesn't work, call EPSON Tech Support, the # is in the owners manual. They will assist you.
    I have copied, scanned, printed, faxed & printed Photographs (which are better in quality than some Photo Labs) all with out a single problem. Personally, I wouldn't have any other brand. I LOVE MY EPSON WorkForce!!

29th of May, 2011

I have the exact same problem. I have spent $50 in the last 3 days alone.

• Re
      2nd of Oct, 2015

It will not print unless all your color cartridges are full inked level. Scam perhaps to make people continuously buy their ink? Will refuse to print even "greyscaled, " or when you set it up to print only in black-and-white.