EPS Technologies / Bad service

Hi, there. Just wanted to reminisce about probably the worst purchase of any computer equipment that I have ever made in over 15 years of buying! (I just happened to run across an EPS on E-Bay and it brought back bad memories!)

I purchased a EPS color Pentium-90 laptop in 1995. It gave me problems as soon as I opened the box - it would boot then shut down promptly. I would have to boot it about 8 times to get it to run. Once booted it would work properly and I would just leave it on constantly to avoid having to reboot. But one day it just stopped working completely, and it was still under warranty. To make a long story short, I called them about 30 times and they refused to honor their warranty. It took a threat of a lawsuit (when the Attorney General of South Dakota, where they were then located) to get them to give me a new laptop. The new one worked for about a year, then the keyboard gave out, and I just threw up my hands. I just can't believe that a company could have gotten away with such abuse as EPS did over the years, and I am not surprised that they finally shut their doors - I just feel bad about the users who were left hanging, out in the cold.

Right now, the only laptops that I will ever buy are now Dells. They are tremendously reliable and they stand by their product, although there are worries about the future.

But EPS never had a future. It came $3800 too late in wasted money for me, plus countless hours of wasted time on the phone...

Ol

Comments

• Ki
      5th of Jan, 2009