Enterprise Rental Car / scratch scam

1 New Haven, CT, United States Review updated:

I believe I got hit with the standard dent scam from these people. I rented a car for one day to go to a race where the car was parked in a field. I turned down their insurance, and the car they rented me was a ratty Mitsubishi Lancer with a hole completely through the floorboard carpeting, down to the metal floorboard.

I made the mistake of dropping the car off 1 hr before the branch opened - dents to the hood and the roof were noted by staff at their Hamden office. I thought this was highly unlikely, if anything was there this had to be pre-existing - but I was willing to entertain the possibility, and at least if they showed me the damage, then I figured they had me and I probably couldn't argue with them. I got the notice of a claim 2 days after I returned the car.

Happily for Enterprise the car was always rented as soon as I got their claim letter. Then the car turned out to be at the body shop. Their claims person was pathologically unable to return a phone call or a letter. She also appeared not to be able to respond to the Amex insurance people who tried to contact her about my supplemental primary insurance. She did manage to mail me a letter where she seemed surprised I hadn't paid, despite her apparent refusal to contact the insurance company. She finally sent documents which showed the car went to the body shop weeks after the incident, weeks after they told me the repairs happened. They never produced pictures or documentation other than a body shop bill.

I can not overstate what a bush league operation this is. Their shadiness and reluctance to provide any documentation of actual physical damage is quite damning in my eyes. Their inability to respond in a professional manner or acknowledge my complaint at all is quite demonstrative of their dedication to customer service. That Amex insurance was the best $20 I spent for a rental day as it saved me over $1000.

I will not do business with Enterprise again, and I will continue my Amex insurance plan. I will also start taking pictures when I pick up and drop off the car, and mark off defects on every surface of the car possible before I leave. If this is the way they want to play, I'm game. Stay away from these people if you can.

Va

Comments

• Kl
      24th of Jan, 2009

I just got hit with the scam today. 1-24-09

• 0 Votes

i got hit with the scam too.. 4-10-2009
    ERAC near drivers license office -----Windsor Canada
    IS THERE ANYONE WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS "DENT SCAM ON THE HOOD" BY ENTERPRISE. they are asking 700$ for the dent which they are not even ready to show the proof and

Are they doing it delibrately (hidden dents trap) at the time of renting or do they ding it to harass the customer?? as i parked it infront of their office over the Sunday after noon drop-off. And Monday they called me where i was out of state that night travelled to atlanta and told i will visit them on Friday to see with my eyes to believe.. their answer sorry we cant hold the car till u come. then i told em i will pay the weekly rental for which they denied and told me their claim center will call me soon with the charges...ANY JUSTICE left for this hidden dent on hood trap????in my life i dont even look at enterprise offers..

• Ki
      6th of Apr, 2009

I accompanied my boyfriend today 4/6/09 to return his rental car at Enterprise in Clifton, NJ on Main Ave. When he returned the car, the guy who inspected the car was the same one who gave it out to him last Friday 4/3/09, who also happens to be the rental manager of that branch, Paul Escandon. When my boyfriend got the car on friday it was raining heavily(a torrential downpour). When they did the initial inspection the car seemed dirty and my boyfriend pointed out certain damages, and even some writing on one of the door handles, that were one the car. Mr. Escandon told him that this was normal wear and tear, and did not do a thorough check of the vehicle. He also turned the car on and told my boyfriend that there was more than half a tank of gas in the car, but when my boyfriend looked at the gas gauge there was less than half a tank of gas. When my boyfriend returned the car, Mr. Escandon went to inspect the car, and this time started cleaning off the dirt and giving it a thorough inspection unlike that previous Friday. It seemed as he was trying to find something that wasn't there. He pointed out that there was a dent and my boyfriend would now have to pay the deductable from his insurance and it would be reported. I was there, and I looked at the car, and could not see any dent whatsoever. If there was one there, it was millimeters in size, which would represent normal wear and tear. We took about ten pictures of the area where Mr. Escandon said there was a dent, and this so called "dent" did not show up in the pictures. If there was a dent that was as big as he said it was, it would show up in photographs. Nevertheless, Mr. Escandon charged my boyfriend over $300 because of this. This enterprise has some shady practices with shady characters who work there. I recommend to be careful, and to take your rental car business elsewhere. We feel that this happened because my boyfriend did not take the insurance from Enterprise. Because of this they tried to find any way to get more money out of him. By claiming that there is a large dent that needs to be fixed, they will collect money from him and his insurance, as opposed to if he took their insurance. In that case there would be no reason to find any dents, because they would not make any money off of it. We plan to fight this ridiculous case. I feel like we should call Help Me Howard about this and warn people in the area about this enterprise branch, and how they try to take advantage of people and scam them out of their money. Do not rent from this branch. If you do, take pictures or video of the car. I recommend Budget Rental.

• Ku
      15th of Jul, 2009

Man I got scammed too and I don't know what to do.I rented a car from them and they made my lifea living hell..

8th of Dec, 2009

I totally agree and have had a similar situation. I rented a car from Enterprise in Rochester, New York with a drop off in Niagara Falls, NY. Upon returning the car, an Enterprise employee evaluated the car ---alone, with a flash light. After 15 minutes he came back stating there was damage in the form of scratches on the driver's side quarter panel. I stated categorically that I did not know how the damage was created and I believed the damage was there when I rented the vehicle. He looked up the history and said there was no record of any damage. He then stated he needed to fill out an incident report so that the next person would not get blamed and that the damage was most likely missed and most likely a "no need to fix" assessment would be made. He stated I would know of their decision by 10:00 am the next day. After drafting the report, he printed it and asked me to sign it otherwise I could not be driven home. I stated two things: 1) the "scratches" were not on the driver's side quarter panel as written in the report but were in fact on the bumper, 2) I categorically denied that the damage was done under my rental. The employee insisted on a signature. I signed and the person who was to drive me home went out to the vehicle, looked over the car twice and did not see any damage. After a third look and bending down he pointed out the damage. We returned to the office and I stated: 1) Your own employee missed the damage twice even when he knew where to look, 2) when I rented in Rochester we walked around t was 4:15 pm at night, late and starting to rain so we probably missed it. Mysteriously this employee who missed the damage twice disappeared after some managerial body language. I asked that the person who wrote up the report and manager come and re-review the damage outside. The manager become flustered, said there was no need to, but eventually allowed the employee who wrote up the report to return outside with me. I pointed out that the scratches were 11" off the ground and in a downward manner. How could I do this? The employee said a curb. I pointed out there are no 12" curbs and I would have to brush the curb from the wrong direction, not sense the curb although 3 feet from me, and not create any tire scuffing. I said it looked to me like car wash or oil change damage. Enterprise insisted that the issue would most likely be resolved as a "no need to fix"
    After following up with Enterprise in both cities on a daily basis, they were unable to provide a decision, the $ amount of damage, or photos for 7 days. They promised to call me daily, but did not so I called them. On the 8th day I learned that the decision was that it must be fixed, damage of $ 275.
    I will never rent from Enterprise again in my life. My insurance advise they will pay as $ amount is low and I signed no damage on receipt. I do not think Enterprose should be scaming customers, Insurance companies in such a manner.
    I plan on following up with the Better Business Bureau and I believe the NY State Attorney General's office should investigate. I am sure they will find an under the radar pattern of scaming and financial creativity in this down turn economic times. Just another hit to the average American who has no recourse.
    I encourage other to step forward. The internet is powerful and there is power in numbers.

• Eu
      16th of Mar, 2011

After years renting w Enterprise they tried this to no avail but, now I too have been hit by the "dent" scam Ridgefield CT Enterprise office stating that the car with 25000 miles, very rough had a "very small dent under the rocker panel" which was not there 3 days ago. Lady walked the car in about 30 seconds, and so did I -I mean the car was a station car type rental vehicle it looked "okay", not perfect . I did not hit anything; I had to clean and disinfect the car-it had a passport, photos, and other items, garbage etc in the car which I noticed upon driving off. I located the owner of the passport and photos, returned the items to the Enterprise office, notified them the car was dirty etc and no effort to clean etc. not evan a thank you..Car a Cobalt w NY tags had: Change oil soon light on, driver seat low and thrust back, tobacco smell- had been smoked in, was not cleaned-but I had my car in the shop and figured at $29 day and then a $9.99 weekend rate, I won t complain. Dropped car off before Mon am opening, received a call around 6 pm Monday. Called them Tues 8 am where they hit me up with the "very small dent" scam and I believed they have contacted my insurance company. I have never had an accident, insurance claim or otherwise and have rented and owned cars in the US and Europe. I have lived in CT most of my life same address, and used this Enterprise 15yrs w no issues. This is certainly a scam. Contacting the Atty General here in CT. Will try and arbitrate w Enterprise damage recovery unit as I did not hardly use the car. It was parked in our driveway and away from cars at all times. About 150 miles in 3 days.

• Sd
      9th of May, 2011

Rude and arrogant and unbehaved manager.
    One day the tyre will retire and pass its due date.
    They called the repair shop and asked me to pay for the flat tyre. It seems that they call this repair shop very often as the manager said call Jenny like usual and ask her about the damages( I know what it means- it means the usual receipt/bill charges to earn money)
    Total Scam Enterprise!

Please do not rent from Park royal branch in London. Another friend of mine had to pay for car dents which were already there when she rented the car. It goes through a usual process- same repair shop billing!!!

• Al
      5th of Jan, 2012

i went to rent a car 1/3/12 was told that i was on the do not rent list for damage to a car in 2003-the information they could give me was that my DL# was on it but my name was not the same or address which i told the manager my name has not changed and i did not live at that location at the time - i stated their must some scam going on and how in 9yrs- he says we go by the dl#-I've called corp no call back - an unable to get any resolution from anyone what to do in