Enterprise Rent-A-Car / toll violations

My problem occurred after the rental car was returned. I checked my credit card and found a $4.70 toll charge. I called Enterprise and was sent the toll violation report. It was for a date/time that would have been impossible for me to get to the toll road. I then called Enterprise and was told it would not be difficult to get the toll violation corrected. I then contacted the local toll authority and they didn't have a record of any toll violation for that license plate number on that date. They had a violation for that plate number a month before I rented the car. I then called Enterprise and was transferred to Enterprise's company that handles toll violation, Highway Toll Authority (sounds official but isn't). They argued about the toll charge. The call took 33 minutes to complete but I received the $4.70 refund - all this over $4.70. Subsequently I received an Enterprise survey and filled it out stating the problems. This survey was forwarded to Highway Toll Authority(!) who wrote back to say that it wasn't there fault but the local toll authority's problem. This was impossible since the local toll authority didn't have a record of the toll violation. So, I have to wonder if this is a quality problem on Enterprise's subcontractor's part or if this is something bigger? A small amount of extra charge for a lot of people would add up quickly. For me, I won't be using Enterprise again for quite some time. There are plenty of other car companies out there.

Al
Feb 17, 2013

Comments

• Es
      17th of Feb, 2013

That's awful. It does sound like something bigger. Good for you for following up. After reading your complaint I will never rent a car from Enterprise. On a separate note my credit union who I love periodically offers specials in which they offer financing specials on used Enterprise vehicles. I intend to share this with them. I would be concerned about conducting business with a company that charges additional fees to a customer who bears no responsibility. Worse yet is despite providing proof you didn't have possession of the car is that they fail to take responsibility. Who do I believe? The Port Authority. They would be better off admitting their mistake and refunding you your money. I hope this costs them a lot of business.

• Kr
      17th of Feb, 2013

I had an awful experience with Enterprise also but thankfully nothing to do with tolls. I was staying in Miami and drove through the Keys - somehow I was never charged the tolls. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience :/ I'll never use them again either

23rd of Feb, 2013

AL11
    We’ve taken note of your concern and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to care[at]enterprise.com including the rental office information, your contact information, your claim number and any additional information regarding your experience with us.
    When emailing, please list Reference Number 130223-001127 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Respectfully,
    Carol
    Social Media
    Enterprise Rent A Car

• Fe
      23rd of Mar, 2013

I have also been fraudulently charged for tolls after renting a car from Enterprise. The company has charged my credit card and account on at least three separate occasions between December 2012 and now for alleged toll violations. I purposely avoid tolls and/or make sure I have change when renting for this exact reason. I know the roads very well in my area do not drive on the toll roads if I don't have the required cash. I of course would like to speak to someone at Enterprise about this matter but have not been able to because of the company's restrictive manner for lodging a complaint. The fact the company places significant barriers to corresponding or speaking with a real person about this issue is confirmation that they know they are engaged in fraudulent activity. Here in Illinois individuals can only leave a *30 second message* ONE TIME on a voicemail, or send a letter to a P.O. Box (which means you cannot request that someone sign for the letter or track that it was received). Perhaps the company believes that if they make it difficult for me to reach them then I will just have to accept these charges. They are wrong. If I do not get a full refund of all charges I will pursue private causes of action in addition to filing complaints with the state AG and other government entities.

23rd of Mar, 2013

FeBBM,
    We’ve taken note of your concern and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to care[at]enterprise.com including the exact rental location information, your contact information, your rental agreement and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    When emailing, please list Reference Number 130323-001101 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Respectfully,
    Carol H.
    Social Media
    Enterprise Rent-A-Car

• Re
      17th of Sep, 2016

I just received a bill for $10.75. Supposedly a toll from N.J.toll authority. Come Monday I'll call about this.It's funny I had 7 other charges that were right. How is it this wasn't listed on my EZ Pass account?

21st of Sep, 2016

Hi, Rena. We'd like to hear about your concern further. Please email us at care@Enterprise.com with your name as it appears on your rental, reservation and rental agreement numbers, the exact location you rented from, contact information, and any other details you would like to add. Please include reference number 160917-002149 in the body of your email.

Thanks,
    Collin
    Social Monitoring Coordinator
    Enterprise Rent a Car

• Mi
      25th of Sep, 2016

Hello, I received a letter from you stating that I incurred a toll violation during the time I rented a vehicle from you. I can say without hesitation that I, in no way had a toll violation. All my travels were on I95, (NJ TPK). I paid each and every toll. If I went through a toll without paying, please present me with the photo and time and date this occurred. On the Turnpike, if someone goes through a toll, there is video of this violation. Please present this proof. It's not all about the money, it's the principle. It seems as if this is a habit of you guys charging innocent renters of your cars for tolls, This has put a very bad taste in my mouth, and I will not be renting from you again if this is not resolved, I will also alert my credit card to dispute this transaction
    Yours truly;
    Milton Nembhard

• Jz
      11th of May, 2018

Hello, as like above, I received a citation letter in the mail for an unpaid toll (my second crossing of the M50). how ever I did pay for two toll crossings from the M50 through eflow. The email I received stated "all the information you will need is on the citation letter" there is no information on how to pay it if I did need to pay it. I took a snap shot of my bank statement showing where I did pay, $3.88 for it. and have been trying to contact someone but there is no email, then I found Twitter, eflow is on twitter and sent them the information with my snap shot. Even as a Law Enforcement officer, I found this very frustrating. I have had no word back from Enterprise.

16th of May, 2018

@jzoomie68 jzoomie68,
    We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to ehiescalationscc@mailca.custhelp.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your citations, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,