Enterprise Rent-A-Car / assumption of damage by consumer!

United States Review updated:
On 9/5/07, my insurance company provided me with a rental car due to my car being in an accident the day before. The rental car was given to me with less than 1/4 tank of gas. After work (a 15 mile drive), I got 10.72 gallons ($30.00) worth of gas at a gas station near where I work, so I would make it home. The car died on the way home, now they are saying it had 15 gallons of "contaminated" gas and are suing me for almost $700.00 worth of damage, when I only drove the car a total of maybe 18 miles. My position is that the 4.28 gallons of gas that was in the vehicle when I got it could have been contaminated and no one complained of bad gas at the station that I got the gas from. Enterprise is saying that "the renter is responsible for damage to the rental vehicle regardless of fault of negligence." Absolutely Ludicrous!

Comments

Rh
  18th of Dec, 2007
ENTERPRISE RENT A CAR SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUINESS--THEY HAVE A $400 DENT SCAM ALL OVER THE USA--IT HAPPENED TO ME IN nj..LOOK AT [redacted].COM AND YOU WILL SEE ALL OF THE PEOPLE SCAMMED BY THIS COMPANY.
Xa
  9th of Aug, 2010
Mary... first of all... wow. I know some people like to complain, but I've never seen it taken to such detail...

But I digress...

While I agree that Enterprise's claim was a touch over the top, I mean, come on. It's not like Enterprise associates go into the car before you get in it and start messing things up. Obviously the first thing that Enterprise (or any rental car company, for that matter) is going to think is that you did something to mess it up. After all, you WERE the last person in the car.

Enterprise has a pretty extensive legal department, though. I'd call corporate and talk it out with them. but then, it's already been three years and I hope you've taken care of this by now.

Enterprise Holdings Logo Enterprise Holdings