Enterprise Rent-A-Car / unauthorized charges

1 Albuquerque, NM, United States Review updated:

Enterprise is taking advantage of the consumers. Here's our deal. Our Insurance Agency arranged with Enterprise a rental car within the price amount to be paid by the Insurance, while our vehicle was getting repaired. Enterprise requested a card for file, which I can understand. They immediately withdrew $50 twice and credited us back that same day. Okay now they have $50 from us as a "down pmt" to be returned upon return of the vehicle. The rental was picked up at the Auto Collision place where the Enterprise representative met us and others with pre-prepared paperwork. When we returned the vehicle, the auto body shop indicated we leave the vehicle there. I asked that someone inspect the vehicle. The gentleman there did the inspection. I then immediately called Enterprise and told them we dropped the car off at the body shop where they told us to leave it and the guy there did the inspection and everything looked good. I asked about getting our $50 back; he said he would be on his way to pick up the car and once he got back to their place of business he would credit us back. Well low and behold, instead of crediting us back $50 - they charged an additional $285.97 without notice! When I found this out, I immediately called... took several phone calls, nonetheless they indicated we obtained additional insurance. We never requested addtional insurance! and further more, the Insurance made the arrangements. I am fighting with them now to get our $335.97 back. Plus they didn't even notify us of the additional charge. Do they think because they have a card on file, they can charge whatever the hell they want!!! I think their outta be a class action lawsuit!!! (I will check into this, my daughter works for a good lawyer).

BTW: This would be a second bad experience we have had with Enterprise!

Comments

• Na
      17th of Dec, 2007

One thing that you have to realize when you are renting a vehicle is that you signed a legal document and like any other company Enterprise is in the business to make money not lose money. When you have a claim through your insurance company your policy might allow 25.00 a day what ever vehicle you chose the total charges need to be under the 25.00 anything after that comes directly out of your pocket. Make sure to always ask the agent how much per day will this vehicle cost. Also make sure that you dont exceed the days that your policy allow which is usually 30 days only unless you are the claimant. I am sorry that this happened to you but if you are still having issues please call and speak to someone in the Rental Management Division (Call Back Center).

• Ro
      30th of Jan, 2008

I had a nightmarish experience with Enterprise. They falsly imprisoned me, and charge my ATM with outrageous, unaccountable charges. They are rude, and criminal.

• Yo
      19th of Mar, 2008

Ms. Steward, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

19th of Jun, 2008

Hey Mr. Idiot,

Sign a document and its legally bbinding, sorry dude, better get smart next time before you sign, dumbass!

• Mi
      3rd of Dec, 2008

My husband was forced to stop in at a branch office last night after being told over the phone our contract was null and void because we have had our rental for over 30 days (mind you be have been paying on time for the rental the entire 30 days). We were never told we would have to rewrite the contract at the end of 30 days. Last night Enterprise charged my husband's debit card $711.11 instead of the weekly $200.00, after they TOOK $150.00 without permission on Saturday, November 29, 2008. Our bank has given us a courtesy credit of the $150.00 but where does this extortion end? We need a car until ours is repaired. Something needs to be done about Enterprise. We did contact the district manager.

• Pi
      5th of Aug, 2009

I agree with everything everyone i saying because i have just been scammed by enterprise today. I am very disappointed in their service. the car they gave me broke down and had to be replaced only after i lost my temper and insisted vehemently that i needed a car to move around.
    Now they are trying to charge me for insurance even though this car was rented for me by the insurance company of the insured who is the other party in the accident. the accident was not my fault and i have a police report. they know this and know that the insurance of the other party had accepted liability but still went ahead to accrue insurance payments even though this was an accident case and are now insisting very very rudely that i should pay this.
    i agree that there should be some class action suit so we can all be heard.

7th of May, 2011

When you sign the rental contract, you have to initial that you either ACCEPT or DECLINE the optional coverage. Check your contract. If you initialled that you accepted the coverages, you're on the hook for it.