Enterprise Car Rental / discrimination

1 7500 S ShieldsOKC, OK, United States Review updated:
Phone: 405-636-0330

Before arriving at the Enterprise Car Rental desk I called from home to ask what I needed to rent a car and I was told a credit card. I was asked if my credit card was linked to my checking account and I said yes. I was told to bring two bills (utility bills) from home. I brought four or five to be on the safe side. Once I arrived at the disk I presented all of the information that was required of me. The agent went over to a another gentleman in the office and they began to whisper, the agent came back and asked if I had any proof that my bills are not past due. The bills that he had were current and had no past due amounts listed on them, that would have proved that they were not past due and were paid. I was the only African American customer in the office at the time, I was told that I had to pull up my bank account on line at one of their desk in order for them to see if I paid my bills. They placed me at a desk to do so. I was extremely insulted by this treatment. I am a Federal Officer (Law Enforcement) and I was treated like a criminal.

Ta

Comments

• Jt
      11th of Nov, 2008

Gosh, this sounds very familiar to what happened to me today. I reserved a car online for one day's use. I telephoned afterward to confirm that they definately would have the car whence I arrived. I was asked if my credit card was linked to my checking account. I replied I did not think so, that it was just a traditional Visa credit card. I also brought my most current electric bill and Visa bill, along with my credit card, my drivers license, and a personal check. The agent, Katie Moore, asked for my phone number. I told her I only had a limited use landline at home, which I did not usually even keep a phone connected to, but I could give her the number. She told me I did not qualify to lease a car because I had no employee phone number, and no fax number. She said I needed to give her at least three phone numbers were they could call and speak to me. I told her I am disabled retired, that I do most communications via email (this is the age of the Internet, isn't it?), but that jin addition to my landline number, I could give her a relative's number as well as friend's numbers, and my SSI social worker's number. She still refused. I asked to speak to her supervisor, but she said she was the manager there, no one else. Come to find out she had a manager there over her who was in the back (something I found out afterward). I told her that the website allowed me to reserve the car, why should they turn me down now. She told me that they could not trust their $30, 000 car to someone like me! I have one of the best driving records anywhere, too. I am a middle aged woman, not a kid. All of this took place in front of the other customers who overheard everything. I felt humiliated and angry. If they had an issue over telephone numbers, they should have made that plain on the website and over the phone whence I called. She told me she would have her driver take me home. I called her whence I arrived home, as I was very, very angry. She just hung up on me.

I have to leave before dawn tomorrow morning for an extremely important matter, and I have no car. It is against the law to discriminate on the basis of race, disability, etc. There was no reason to turn me down. Whence I arrived home, I called Katie back and told her how angry I was about all of this, and that I intend to pursue legal action. I think she thinks I am blowing smoke. Whence she ends up in court, I think she will change her mind. After reading your post, too, I would not recommend Enterprise to anyone under any circumstances. And, to lie to me to my face that there was no one over her there! If people like us got together, we could file a class action lawsuit against Enterprise for discrimination. Regardless what anyone else does, I intend to file against them. This is not an empty threat Enterprise. See you in court with your lawyer.

• Sg
      3rd of Jan, 2011

I also experienced the same treatment and I am also an African American but female, it took about 20mins before I was helped and once I was the argued me down about the car rental and all requirements and stipulations. It first began with my fiancé and I not having the same last name hence finance and manifested from there. I called cooperated and very little was done.

20th of Jan, 2011

sgreen1182
    Please make yourself available for me to make contact to your e-mail as I wish to send you a message ASAP. Its about a case against Enterprise.

Thanks

Respectfully yours

11th of Dec, 2012

Wow, reading these post and knowing of an experience that my brother (black male) is having with Enterprise currently, confirms to me that they are a racist company. My initial thoughts were really unfounded at first because I had not personally dealt with them. However, once I started listening to my brother talk about how they were making him stand in extremely cold weather and extreme heat but yet providing shelter for a white female at all times. I began to believe it, more confirmation can in my way of thinking when I would drop him off at work. I was stopped at the gate and asked for my drivers license and they needed to write down my tag number. I asked why and the reason I was given was they had had vehicles stolen from the lot.
    Obviously, my vehicle was not one of there's, this took place in 2011. My vehicle is a 1995 Mazda Protege, with missing wheel cover and faded paint. I have also heard it being told that Enterprise will charge blacks for upgrades when they have to upgrade because the size vehicle they reserved is not on the lot, but white patrons are upgraded at no extra cost. I hope when it is all said and done that employee and customers that have been treated unfairly sue and get their attention in a way they will never forget.

• Sh
      7th of Jun, 2013

This is similar, reserved a car on line call to ask can I pick it up early, they said the same thing about my credit card yes it is back by my other accounts for overdraft but it is secured, this is the first problem. then they wanted copy of pay stubs with current address on them I am an independent consultant no pay stubs just money in bank 3rd problem; then they wanted insurance card no problem but my insurance is for my business home office which is not my current living address so that was a problem; 3rd then they wanted proof that I was not going to "steal their car like others" I told them that just a couple weeks ago I rented at the Airport without any problem, he said " they rent to anybody with a credit card" This went on for about 10 minutes trying to see what I could provide them to get this car this does not make sense.

7th of Jun, 2013

jt
    Hang in there. Cannot say more due to pending litigation but will suggest consumers to look into Federal Law 1981 statue. File as pro se, and go to the police and lodge a complaint of your incident to start building up your evidence against them. This business needs a good spanking.

Good luck.

• Er
      20th of Dec, 2013

The problem is that enterprise "at the counter rental agents" are not qualified to assess your finacial and insurance adequacy that is up to you. But they are doing it anyway. They are trained to do so. Thats why no one at corperate cares about your compliants. I am going through the same thing. I was a long time customer of enterprise untill three weeks ago. They took me back home too after an argument about my full coverage insurance. They just wanted to ignor it and make me pay damage waiver costs. I was firm and stood my ground and said i dont have to buy this waiver. So they refused me a car that i had reserved and took me back home. I filed a complaint. Not even a call back in three weeks. I have called back several times since then. Nobody cares. Its just what they do. They are so wrapped up in lies and covering it up that they can never make the changes now with out addmiting guilt. Enterprise agents break the law and their own policices and i dont think they are even aware of it. Eric b in olympia, wa .

20th of Dec, 2013

As I said before, dated on June 2013, make sure you obtain the name of the manager of the Car Rental agency, and if they refuse, then lodge a complaint of the incident to the POLICE, not to Enterprise OK. Lodge the complaint to the police then when able get a copy of that complaint. showing their investigation results. After that go to an Attorney, or do this as pro se, ( tell the attorney what happened if seeing one) and file a Federal 1981 and 1991 lawsuit against them. You have to pay the filing fee if I believe now 450 dollars. Make sure if doing it pro se that you plead the case correctly showing you made diligent effort to resolve the matter (video, witnesses etc) and it must pass muster to be believeable and plausible in the eyes of the court. You do not have to submit any evidence at this time as its the pleading stage. You can also add to your complaint any state laws, and be forewarned that any emotional distress damages must be filed within two years of the incident. Fed Statue 1981 and 1991 has a 4 year statue of Limitations. You need to find the location of their main office and include in your complaint that this company is a Delaware Limited Liability Company and have the right Jurisdictions for the court. The Federal Court has the booklet for you to know how to file it. Here is the order. > Complaint (very brief) - Jurisdiction - Facts common to all counts (important details of what happened very brief not a long story etc) - Violations of the Federal laws (which is your counts of what they did wrong in relation to the law) in brief order - and the prayer for Relief. If approved the summons goes out to the defendants. Then you must convince the court that your claim is valid with some court law cases to back it up, and you must overcome the dismissal. If you succeed and prevail then the rest follows which then you will need to submit your evidence if any for the discovery and then hopefully you find an attorney by this time to represent you for trial cause you will need one. If you negotiate a settlement expect that Enterprise will want the case sealed to keep it out of the public's knowledge. If it goes to trial it becomes Publics knowledge and all will know what they are doing.. Touchy part > tough decision either to agree to negotiations and take it, or go to trial. Sometimes at trial that is decided by the jury, you will not get what you want and maybe less than the negotiated deal offered to you. It depends on the strength of your case and how much you can prove to them. Keep in mind, this is a civil trial, and you must prove minimum 51% to prevail in court. The more you can prove the better. Good luck..

28th of Oct, 2014

This happened to me today. I reserved a car using USAA website for the discount. I caught the bus with my sick child so I could rent the car to go to my job interview tomorrow. My normal car had been totaled, so I had no choice but to rent. I get there and they ask for my DL and credit card, which I hand them both. I don't own a credit card, but have never had an issue with using my debit card instead. He asks me about buying their insurance, I tell them no because my USAA policy covers rental cars. Then he steps back and speaks to someone in a back room, comes out and tells me I have to fill out a form, agree to pay a $250 deposit and provide them with two current utility bills and one must be a phone bill. I explain I don't have any bills and I didn't know I had to bring them because the website did not say this when I reserved the car. Frustrated, I leave. As I'm trying not to cry in front of my son, I start digging through my purse. Find a cable bill and planned on begging them to use the cable bill I had (which included home phone) and my insurance bill which could be pulled up on my cell phone. A new guy is at the desk and starts helping me. Gets all of my info including my insurance info. Puts it all in the computer and says "Let me go get your car" he comes back about a minute later and says "you have to fill out this form and provide two bills because you're using a credit card." I explain that I will pay the deposit but I don't have a bill. I also tell him its ridiculous that I can't rent a car when I've rented them in the past without issue. He gets the 'manager' from the back and she asks where I've rented cars from and I told her enterprise and avis. She asked if it was at the airport, and I said a few times. She then says "Oh, that's why. You can rent a car without any of this additional stuff if it's in combination with a flight." What the heck?! How does me purchasing a plane ticket make me less likely to not return the car? I told her that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and asked if there was another car rental place in the area. She said Avis and Budget (I think she said budget). She then tells me that they all have the same policy. As I was ushering my son out the door, I hear her whisper "Do you know the number to Avis? I need to check their policy." So she basically just made stuff up off the top of her head to get me out the door. I cannot express how upset I am about this situation and I never pull the race card, so me being black didn't even cross my mind until I came here looking for a way to sue for credit discrimination. Then I started thinking back and remembered the two white men there renting cars who were not given any additional questions, barely questioned at all. I want to conduct an experiment, just to check. My husband is white. I want to drop him off to see if they give him the same treatment. Then I will know for sure if it was racial discrimination or not. They should be ashamed.

• Ti
      11th of Jun, 2015

I previously rented a car from Enterprise through Badger truck services while they were working on my vehicle. When I called them to get a quote they quoted a price that was double what was paid when renting the car through Badger Truck. I was quoted a price of 64$ per day, for 2 days, this included insurance. I was also told that I do not need a major credit card that as long as my card had a visa or mastercard logo and linked to an actual bank that I would be fine. When I got to the office on 4th and Wisconsin, in Milwaukee, WI. The guy with a smirk on his face. Told me the price was over 200 dollars, and told me that they did not accept my bank card. I bank with US Bank. He also said they only had one car available while the whole street was lined with their cars. I believe that the quote is low as long as they do not know your color but as soon as he saw my face the price all but tripled. The 200 dollars did not include insurance. I will be looking for a lawyer to file a discrimination lawsuit against this company. My email is tmpetty2003@yahoo.com.

12th of Jun, 2015

You won't win your case as you have stated here. You must do as follows >>>. You have to have witnesses, and if possible a secret video tucked on your shirt with voice as well, a phone recording, and watch a few customers on how they dealth with them and of how they rented out the car etc., get their names before they leave and address to be your witnesses, and you have to also make an effort to make and enforce a contract under the law. If you have an advertisement, that is a start, but you need something more than just an advertisement. Secondly for discrimination they have to make more than 1 discriminatory remark, or utterance in relation to your attempt to rent the vehicle. As of your card, if it is a visa card, they cannot decline it., and you can also pay in cash. When you're there ask them to see what the qualifications criteria is for renting a car. If they don't show you, that is another thing you can use against them. You also need to know the name of the manager, the time and the date, and also ask who is his superior above him. Incidently if you have a visa card make sure its good and there are funds in that account. You will need minimum 2 witnesses on your side to verify your allegations. To rent a car you need a paycheck stub with your name on it, within 2 weeks, need a valid drivers license, need to show one utility bill and a phone bill with your name and address on it. The initial cost is $150.00 if renting under this amount plus another 50.00 deposit, and pay for the rental and fees and insurance.

So what that guy was telling you, its not a joke. To start the cost is $200 dollars plus the rental and fees and insurance before you walk out with that car. If you bring the car back within that same day or the day after, they will only take out the rental cost plus the insurance and the fees and they should re-imburse you back the rest of what you paid for. If not, then you can sue them on that.

Why am I telling you, because I am going thru the crap right now. Wish me luck.

• Al
      18th of Jun, 2015

Tina, I would like to discuss this further with you. Please email us at Care@Enterprise.com with your contact information, the exact branch location, rental/reservation number and any other details. Please provide us with reference #150618-001471. -Tatiana

• En
      18th of Jun, 2015

Dave, is there anything we can help with? Please email us at Care@Enterprise.com with your contact information, the exact branch location, rental agreement/ reservation number and any other details. Please reference 150618-001585. -Tatiana

18th of Jun, 2015

Tatiana, you cannot help me at all. I have filed a lawuit against Enterprise. Since my case is in court I cannot comment further. However as to the other customers who complain here and you responding to their complaints is all a smokes screen. Even your company discriminates against your very own employees.
    Enterprise is only interested in MONEY and not interested in serving the public and if given the chance you employees will steal customers personal effects if they forget to take it out of the car and not return it.

• Dw

Wow, this is crazy

- DWOT

1st of Aug, 2015

James : Enterprise is a Racist and Crooked company, PERIOD!!
    I worked there for a long time and I saw it on Regular basis, how they do black
    People is just Sad. I No longer work there because they fired me after the EEOC
    Charged them with Discrimination by way of Religion, Harassment and Retaliation after the Investigation. I have filed a lawsuit in federal court, and it's On.
    It's about time for them to pay for some of there wrong doing.

28th of Aug, 2016

I was barred from renting with enterprise simply because i was black. I paid my bills on time and none of my bills presented had past due balances. I was also a rewards member. Because i was getting points for renting and because i was a frequent renter, enterprise without notice placed me on a do not rent list claiming that i owed them $1000 for a moving truck i rented with enterprise trucks more than 6 months prior, even though the truck had minor scrapes prior to me renting as i reported it to the rep and took out their insurance to cover myself just in case. Yet on a day i was to be at my daughters college trunk party and mother's birthday party i was prevented without warning from renting the vehicle i had reserved. The following week my husband came to rent because he has no previous rental history with enterprise and he came in with a nicor bill with no past due balance but because the bill was more than $100 he was denied renting the vehicle he reserved. We are convinced enterprise rent a car uses racially discrimination tactics against black minorities to prevent honoring their reservations.

• En
      2nd of Sep, 2016

Chris Estes-Brown, thank you for your post. I would like to follow up with you but would need some more information. Please email care@enterprise.com the exact location this was at, complete details and your contact information. Include any rental or reservation numbers you may have and reference the number 160828-001151. Chris M Social Monitoring Coordinator, Enterprise

3rd of Sep, 2016

Sure Chris,

You are more than welcome to check out my account. In fact my last rental was on August 2, 2016. Tell me why all of a sudden I am barred after renting all this time and have 825 points that could not reedem nor transfer to someone ? More importantly, I seldom received any my deposits back even though I often brought the car back with the same level of gas with the exception of 2 times back in July, when the gas was slightly under. But they should not have taken my entire deposit for that. However, I will be emailing you with my account info today. Thanks for the response.

• Cm
      14th of Sep, 2016

I think there is discrimination. Ultimately (semantics aside), businesses can discriminate. And it happens legally. I think I have been discriminated against too. My story is not race but being flat out lied to over and over and over again, about the availability of a full-size vehicle that I reserved and had been promised was available and at a particular location. I showed up and the only thing they had were compacts and vans. "Only thing available are compacts and vans", I was offered sarcastically. Heatedly argued that they shouldn't have said one thing over the phone and then practice denying me a rental. Didn't let up for 15 minutes about misleading statements from previous visits regarding best times to come in for rentals then the statement turning out to be inaccurate... so many times that I'm 110% convinced I'm flat out being lied to. Eventually was offered a Buick LaCrosse (disgusted look on employees faces). Ultimately I offered to take any sedan, as long as it was on the property (I had business to attend!). I drove to work with a standard size for the full-size price (and it turns out, this sedan and the 5-6 others probably were available?!).

Chong Park 9/13/2016