Engine and Transmission World / False claims and misleading ads

We have recently ordered an engine from Engine and Transmission World and the engine they sent us is not what was advertised. We believe we have been ripped off and really do not know what to do. The company says that they " provide every one of their customers with a valid Carfax to verify the mileage of the vehicle, as well as the year make and model the part was pulled from. " So we figured hey this is a standup company lets try them and see how it goes. Well we are trying to get them to honor their company policy but to no avail. We had purchased an engine which listed " 43, 445 miles on it for $1, 495.00 (Includes Free Shipping)" They charged us an additional $75.00 for shipping to a residential address which is no where stated until you are already at the final payment page to place your order. Even their ads say free shipping in all 48 states. The Carfax in no way verifies or even comes close to the engine we thought we ordered and when we contacted we were told that this is normal and everything is fine. Fine ? The engine we recieved had been extremely abused and neglected. It had to be totally taken apart and inspected and cleaned. Actually looks like it has well over 100, 000 miles or more on it. It was possibly seized due to cylinder wall scoring and burnt oil smell as well as the completely gunked up internals. There was water in the cylinders (no spark plugs at all, nothing to keep moisture out of the heads, the oil pan was crushed and someone had hammered it out so it has a crack in it and it looks really bad. One of the valve covers is also damaged and much more. It is nothing like what their website boasts about as far as quality and all the other false wording they use. If I try to ask for a refund they want us to pay for return shipping costs and that is not right. So we have a lump of metal sitting here and would like to know what to do to get the engine we paid for. Much time has been wasted already just in inspecting and trying to prep this "mistake" with no happy ending in sight. Their adevertising is misleading and false. There is no way we can have this engine installed and be sure it will last for any length of time. We may try to get an exchange once the mechanic decides what we may or may not do.( as far as doing the installation and maybe having to do it again before the 180 day warranty expires). We tried to take pictures with a cell phone but they do not come close to what we see and smell (burnt oil) ourselves. Our advice to anyone considering making a purchase from these people : get the Carfax first before you pay for anything. Insist on it or walk away. We believed them and trusted them. They decieved us and have lost good customers and much more.

Comments

• Dr
      9th of Feb, 2011

I am so happy that I caught the salesman in a lie about a price that he gave me. He then began to yell and scream over the phone while I am asking him about a 3, 500 engine. He couldn't give me a manager and then proceeded to send me a crazy email saying he wouldn't answer my questions because I wasn't his customer. I found them listed on the BBB site with 111 complaints and they haven't been in business a year. The internet is definitely the best tool for researching the thieves and cons such as this. STAY AWAY!!!

• Dr
      9th of Feb, 2011

Sadly they don't care about losing you, because they have your money. You should file a complaint with the BBB not that it will do any good for a refund. At the moment they have 111 of them and they have not addressed any of them. They are con's. I am happy I found out before I gave them a dime.