Encore Marketing / Red Envelope Rewards

1 OH, United States Review updated:

After making a purchase on Red Envelope in December, I was offered a Rewards Program. I remember looking it over and it appeared to be free. I was surprised when I saw a $14.95 charge on my credit card. Shame on me when I thought it must be an annual charge and I would deal with it later. Now, four months later, I see they have charged $14.95 every month. I got no e-mail or packages in the mail about this program. I have no idea what I get for $14.95 per month and worse, I have no idea how to cancel it. If you call Red Envelope's customer service number, they tell you to call someone else! What a ripoff! I doubt I will ever shop Red Envelope again. I thought it was a reputable company!

La

Comments

• Un
      2nd of May, 2009
    Encore Marketing - unauthorized charge to my credit card
    Pennsylvania

I noticed a charge of $14.95 on my American Express that began after I ordered Christmas gifts online through Red Envelope. It shows as "Red Envelope Rewards" and the vendor is Encore Mktg. It apparently is a cost to be able to use rewards??? It's a total ripoff!

7th of Jun, 2009

This same thing is happening to me have you found out how to cancel it???

• La
      11th of Jun, 2009

My husband just caught the same thing on our CC. We made a purchase in December and they have billed us $14.95 for six months. I just called Red Envelope and they were very nice and receptive.

Basically, Before anyone hits send for an order it will ask you if you would like to join the rewards program.
    The $14.95 is in very small print. It is a very tacky way to market a program when most reward programs are free.

Anyway - I held on the line with a CS rep from Red Envelope while he called and canceled my account. He gave me a cancellation number and 1-888-739-6272 if the credits did not appear in 5-7 business days.

Laurie
    Texas

• Db
      20th of Aug, 2009

Just called the number mentioned above. Said they will refund us the full amount charged. Will keep you posted whether or not we get refunded.

-DBK

• Di
      4th of Sep, 2009

I too saw a charge from Red Envelope Rewards pending in my account. I have no idea how I signed up for this "reward club". I called 888-739-6272, and the customer service rep. promptly stated that they would remove the charge. It actually took two phone calls, but both times the CSR was very polite. Obviously, they know it is a scam or they wouldn't be so quick to take the charges off.

Does anyone know what you get for being in this "rewards program"? And at $14.95 a month, it must be some great rewards! Only no one can tell me about them.

-K

• Si
      30th of Sep, 2009

This happened to me as well when I purchaced something from RE. Apparently I missed the fact that I signed up for a "free trial" during the check-out process. I called the Rewards Program customer service (1-888-739-6272) to cancel the membership and asked them to remove the charges - they did and were very polite about it. I also asked for the customer service reps ID in case the company does not follow through, although from reading previous comments, I don't think there will be a problem. Lesson learned with online puchases - READ EVERYTHING - even the small print!

20th of Oct, 2009

Has anyone actually gotten a refund from the Red Envelope Rewards Program?

• Km
      6th of Nov, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me. I called the number on the change and they said they would refund the money. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Here's the funny part:

The charge was categorized as "Charity / Community Org. "

Never use Red Envelope again! Their stuff is overpriced junk, and this scam just solidifies the type company they are.

• Tm
      17th of Nov, 2009

They got me too...just found 4 charges on my CC today! I used a coupon for 20% off a $100 order that apparently also signed me up for their Rewards Program. Funny program as I recived no e-mail from them welcoming me, no recornd of it under the "account" that I had to set-up to order with them and couldn't find mention of it on their site when using the search word "Rewards". The only record of it anywhere was the charges on my CC.

This is 100% a scam, nice that they're polite and refund the money as they have promised to do for me but I can guarantee it's the last cent I'll spend with this company! They're officially right up there with the "Girls Gone Wild" video scams, "Enzyte" etc...oh yeah, those guys went to jail for deceptive business practices...I'll have to keep an eye on the papers for these guys next!

I wonder how many people out there have no idea they're being charged by this comany!

• Ka
      20th of Nov, 2009
    Encore Marketing - unauthorized debit withdrawals
    encore marketing

unauthorized debit card withdrawals, after a purchase made on solutions web page. this was on the confirmation of order page.

20th of Dec, 2009

I can't believe they did this! I tried calling the number to see why I was charged, . I got to the point of an automated message system that was able to cancel my "membership" that I also don't know how I signed up for. I could not, however, find a way to speak to a representative to remove the charge on my credit card. I have not received any information regarding this rewards program and I have no idea what it is. I want my money back, but I don't know how to go about getting it.

• Lp
      12th of Jan, 2010

I just uncovered this on my american express card - they had been charging me for over a year and I never noticed it (my fault for not checking in more detail my statements). I never received any benefits for this so called service and was not aware that I had enrolled.

When you call their number it does not give you an option to speak to someone but if you press 0 you do get connected with a representative. They are refunding me fully so I would recommend calling if this has happed to you.

(1-888-739-6272)

• Mc
      24th of Jan, 2010

AARRRGG I made a purchase from RED ENVELOPE a few months ago and I am getting the charge!

I told my bank to block it but I will file a BBB complaint... I have not tried yet to contact the company but that's my next step. I did not agree to pay for any "rewards program" to my knowledge either!!! I too am disappointed as Red Envelope seemed like a reputable company. I was thinking this was some kind of Phishing thing and another group was responsible for these charges and it makes me so angry to know it is the actual company duping people in the fine print.

It's such a relief to know this is a scam and I am not just going nuts. Thanks everyone and good luck. I hope everyone makes out well with this situation and SPEAK UP, post this, etc. No one will know if we don't tell them and these people are SO not allowed to get away with this crap!

Thanks for the phone number and the advice- I am calling them now.

25th of Jan, 2010

Thanks for all the great posts! I'm yet another person who got stung but noticed straight away after the first monthly payment. I called this number 1-888-739-6272 and they said they'd cancel my membership...I followed that statement with 'and you can also refund me my $14.95 too' and they politely agreed, so make sure if they don't mention the word 'Refund' that you do!

The rep I spoke to, Heather, said that she would make a note that it's not visible that you have to pay for anything with the membership...yeah right! Think I'm going to make an announcement on my Facebook page to warn all of my family and friends to stay away from this company!.

26th of Jan, 2010

Okay for those wondering if Red Envelope actually process the refund, I can tell you that I called Yesterday and the refund of $14.95 arrived in my account today! They had only taken the money last Friday. I didn't wait to get hold of them.

I posted in my Facebook Status yesterday too to get the word out. I check my account's transactions pretty closely but I know many don't so I wanted to give a heads up.

22nd of Feb, 2010

I called in October to complain about the unauthorized charge. I was told that the "account" would be canceled and the charge refunded. Now (February) I find that the $14.95 charge is still being posted on my Visa card every month. Perhaps it is time for a fraud complaint.

• Me
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Same thing happened to me. Just spoke to a Red Envelope customer service representative, who said that I signed up for this service last July. I would never sign up for something like this, and am shocked that a company like Red Envelope would participate in such sleazy behavior. Please spread the word, and discourage everyone from giving this company business.

• Jp
      22nd of Apr, 2010

I had the same thing happen. I called the customer service number (it should be on your credit card bill) and they took care of it. My credit card was credited in just a couple days for three months plus 1.95 activation fee.

• Fa
      24th of Jul, 2010

The same situation has happened to me, although I tried to cancel on line and still continued to have the charges on my CC. When I called Red Envelope, the gentleman who answered was extremely nice, however told me that they really aren't affiliated with the Rewards company and couldn't do anything to help me, not even tell me how long I've been enrolled in this rip-off Rewards program. Supposedly at the end of a purchase I was asked if I wanted to save 15% on my next purchase, didn't read the fine print and clicked, and that is how I am automatically charged $14.95 a mo. to receive 15% off my purchases at Red Envelope. This makes NO sense at all. Why would I pay $185.40/yr. to save 15% a few times a year????? I definitely plan to call the 888-# that was provided and hope I get some satisfaction too. I am so disappointed in Red Envelope for allowing themselves to be connected with this scam and doing for it's customers, it is called Red Envelope Rewards!

• Pa
      2nd of Sep, 2010

Just noticed this charge on my CC today. Shame on me for not catching it sooner (Looks like I started being charged in February). But I am SO disappointed in Red Envelope! Will never buy another thing from them and will post a warning to others on my facebook page. I never received a "Welcome to the Program" email or anything that would have alerted me that I would be charged $14.95 a month.