Encore Marketing/Easy saver rewards / Fraudulent Charges

1 MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18003551837

I started receiving charges on my credit card statement in December 2007, initially for $1.95, then for $14.95 every month. I had apparently opted for "free shipping" on something I had purchased over the internet and then without my knowledge or consent had been sold to this "Marketing" company and signed up for a non-existent "service". The "service" auto-renews monthly until you realize your being scamed. I read where many people didn't figure it out for years. A $14.95 charge slips by pretty easily when your paying a thousand plus every month, and these rip-off predators obviously know it. I wonder how that focus group session went...Dispute it! File complaints with the B.B.B. in there state, (Maryland) and call Clark Howard. These people should be charged along with the companies that sell your information.

Wi

Comments

• Wi
      9th of Jul, 2008

Happened to me with Proflowers...Just googled the freaking 800 number on my bank acct. I didnt notice it for 6 months. How the hell do they get away with this legally?? ProFLowers asked me if I wanted 15 bucks off my next purchase and said to enter my email address. I did and that gave them permission to sell my Identity and BANK INFO! to them...Talk about scamming people.

• Mo
      11th of Jul, 2008

I second this completely. Just realized that a flower purchase from ProFlowers for Mother's Day 08 also landed me with this initial charge of $1.95 and a recurring charge of $14.95. I don't know what service I'm getting for this and don't care. I am disputing this with my cc company and will not use ProFlowers until rectify this problem with their scummy/scammy affiliate.

• Lo
      3rd of Aug, 2008

Also happened to me with a Proflowers order on Mothers Day! Still trying to figure out how to get the charges to stop as the call center for Encore never seems to answer. Shame on Proflowers...

• St
      25th of Oct, 2008

I ordered flowers for a friend whose father passed away through a ProFlowers affiliate and saw this $1.95 charge on my AMEX account. B@stds! Called amex right away and they removed the charge immediateely when I told them I found this information on this site. Thanks for the info!

• Pa
      22nd of Nov, 2008

I also have been fradulently charged through Pro Flowers. May attempts to have Pro Flowers refund was met by there senior customer care rep telling me that the terms by which I was charged are perfectly clear.
    If you go to energysurge.com you find the tactic wereby online business can make a few extra cents by deceiving you into being charged $14.95 per month and receiving nothing. You are led to click on a box offering a discount for continued flower orders.
    For a business dependent upon on-line sales to engage in actions that undermine the entire system is reprehensible.
    Obviously, when 100's of customers complain a legitimite business would take action. I will no longer do business with Pro/Flower, Red Envelope and other affiliated merchants

• Up
      8th of Dec, 2008

A lot of you are saying that you can't get through to anyone when you call the 877 numbers to cancel (877.564.8538/877.844.9554). I did a little research it turns out that they're owned/operated by a company called Encore Marketing International.

So... let's CALL THEM and tell them how big of ### they are for perpetuating these frauds/scams... below is a list of employees and the main number to Encore; if you call a receptionist will put you through to them... CALL THEM NOW IF YOU'RE FURIOUS ABOUT THEM STEALING FROM YOU:

4501 Forbes Blvd

David Gallimore — Executive Vice President, Sales & Marketing
    Michael Dubrow — Executive Vice President, Partnership Development
    Sondra Diggs — Chief Financial OfficerSondra Diggs — Chief Financial Officer

---------

This is the contact information of the CEO of Encore Marketing who's behind American Leisure and EZ Saver Scams... contact him to let him know how you feel about him cheating you and stealing your money:

Chief Executive Officer

Lanham, MD 20706
    USA

• Ki
      12th of Dec, 2008

EZ saver/Encore marketing is also tied in with Oriental Trading, Omaha, NE.
    Upon checkout with Oriental Trading they ask if you would like to get $15 off your next order...DONT CLICK IT...then without permission EZ saver charged my account $1.95 (even before my Oriental Trading charge went through!) Dispute the charges with your bank immediately. Obviously these companies get some kind of kick back from Encore Marketing. SHAME ON YOU ORIENTAL TRADING!

22nd of Dec, 2008

Anyone who doesn't check their credit card statement and then complains about a charge eons later is an idiot. Anyone who says yes to get a free toaster or whatever without knowing what they are saying yes to is an idiot. Page FULL of idiots. I'd bet your credit is horrid.

• Th
      30th of Dec, 2008

To MajorMe:
    people usually do check their credit card statements, but a small charge like $14.95 can and does go unnoticed. "We" are not idiots...it happens sometimes. Forgive us for being human...sheesh. Im sure you have never made a mistake, right?

To the rest of the world:
    The same "scam" has happened to me and I am currently disputing the charges. I'll keep you guys updated..

I called the Easy Saver people, which was not an easy task. I called the first time and it just kept on ringing. My second and third attempt there was a recoding since I called after business hours. My forth attempt, I was on hold for 45 minutes, and finally got to speak with a rep. Make sure to call from a home/land line phone for those of you who don't have unlimited cell phone minutes. Anyway, they said that the best they could do was refund up to 2 months only, and stop my enrollment in this program. Up to today, I have been "enrolled" in this program for 10 months, so obviously 2 months refund is not ok. I disputed the charges with Easy Saver for a while but they didn't back down. Immediately after that conversation, I called my credit card company and disputed all Easy Saver charges. They were more willing to work with me and I am currently going through the dispute process.

I wrote to proflowers.com and got a response within 15 minutes. That either means that they know they are wrong for doing this and feel the need to make amends right away, or that so many people have complained that they have this "drafted" for a easy/fast send to all customers with a similar complaint.

Here is ProFlowers defending their position:
    Thank you for contacting us. We really appreciate your feedback in the EasySaver Rewards program and I am so sorry for your poor experience. Rest assured, we take your comments seriously, and we are on your side. Let me take a moment to just summarize the program enrollment. After you make a purchase on our site, we offer a $15 coupon. If you click on that coupon you will land on a registration page to join our EasySaver program. In order to enroll and receive the coupon, you must enter your email address and zip code which is the acceptance of the terms and conditions of the program. Within the terms stated to the left of the "accept" button, is the enrollment process and states the charge of the program. Our goal is not to have you in the program if you did not wish to enroll and we apologize if this was confusing. If you have not already done so and would like to cancel this membership, feel free to call EasySaver Rewards directly at 1-800-355-1837 and simple instructions will be provided to you to cancel. We totally understand your frustration and will attempt to clarify the enrollment process for future customers. To follow up, I am going to forward your valuable comments to our partner group that oversees the program. Our customer experience is of the utmost importance and we will do anything to improve your future shopping experiences. Once again, we apologize for your poor experience and we are here to help in any other way necessary. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are available for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Th
      18th of Jan, 2009

as promised: an update

so i wrote & spoke with proflowers.com, the BBB, EasySavers, and my credit card company. my voice was heard and am now being refunded ALL of my money (have been being charged for over 6 months) you need to let your voice be heard!!!

• Ri
      24th of Jan, 2009

I also am disgusted that "Red Envelopes" would have such a practice as this! What really upset me was that there was no confirmation of credit card usage. Instead the credit card number was stolen from the one I had entrusted with Red Envelope for the order I made.

Like the last writer, I am confident that calling 888-739-6272 will get the money I lost refunded, I am just disappointed that a company I trusted, would so breach faith with a popup that disguised charges in fine print and made no attempt to confirm an order.

• Nk
      6th of Feb, 2009

I caught the first transaction on my card yesterday. Called my credit card company to dispute. They have to change my account number, and send a new card but that should nip this in the bud. Don't buy from Pro-flowers. Superbowl ad will cause a lot of victims this year. Someone will be rolling in the dough when they should be behind bars.

17th of Feb, 2009

i work for a company that uses the above mentioned service. honestly, i couldn't disagree more with any of the negative feedback! with the millions of orders placed on my company's sites, i hear from only one or two customers a day. the program is clearly explained when registering. it is also VERY easy to opt out of. trust me! it's my job.

the charge is a monthly fee with no notification but it tells you that and it clearly states that they will be using your billing information from the recently placed order.

EVERYTHING IS EXPLAINED PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT!!!

as for canceling, the representatives with the rewards program are super nice and easy to work with. just call and ask to have your membership canceled! that's it!

seriously people?!? yes! you enrolled in the program! yes! you were told it was a paid membership with a monthly fee! yes! you authorized the charge! yes! you're an idiot if you didn't read the program's details! and no! nothing about this is illegal or fraudulent.

i have NEVER heard negative feedback from a customer who read the details and enrolled. NEVER! it's a great program! it'll save you lots of money! do your research people. i guess you can compare it to a costco membership. you pay to save. it's great if you know what it is. if you don't know what it is, don't enroll!

to all of you that got your monthly fees refunded by easysaver, you're lucky! that was done as a courtesy and not because they are admitting fault. if your credit card company refunded you, it's because they won't bother to investigate and it's easier to give you money than to listen to you complain about a mistake you made. if you canceled your card, well... you're just dumb. that creates more work for you to do and, frankly, is a pain in the rear end. if you took this to court, you would be laughed at. plain and simple.

guh! i'm the one who gets to listen to customers SCREAM at me on the phone about this and all i want to say is "shut up! you made a mistake. here's how to fix it..." but angry people rarely listen.

consider me officially "vented"

• 32
      22nd of Feb, 2009

The CSR is off the mark. I never signed up for anything on ProFlowers. You must notify your State Attorney office (let the New York State Attorney get this and that will be the end).

• Wi
      26th of Feb, 2009

Wow, angryCSR - I'm glad you don't work for my company! Sneaky marketing crap like this gives all online business a bad name. The whole purpose of the scam (yeah, it's a scam) is to trick you into signing up for something you never wanted--that's why it's all in the fine print. Quite frankly, I don't even know what this service is supposed to do! Fine, I made a mistake by not reading the fine print, but you know darn well that's the point. That's what makes it a scam.

Glad you sleep well at night, but your scam only costs the rest of us in increased credit card fees. Sorry that people are screaming at you, but it does take more than phone call to make all this go away.

• Le
      12th of Mar, 2009

Admit it, we didnt read the fine print, they got us, lesson learned, leave the CSR guy alone he didnt make us click the mouse lol. In a way i feel sorry for talking so harshly to the reseptionist the way i did because it wasnt her fault. im going to call her back and apoligize for my ignorance. just call the 1800 355 1837 number and they will cancel it.

yes i am a fool

• Iz
      29th of Mar, 2009

Had the same issue after ordering from Blair - they also offered Free Shipping and somehow (must have been in the fine print) I also ended up with charges to Encore Marketing, which when contacted would only credit 2 months of charges. Have also requested to be removed from Blair's customer mailings and will never do business with them again.

• Da
      12th of Apr, 2009

I ordered a Christmas gift from Red Envelope, which I THOUGHT was a reputable firm.

That a "membership rewards" program would CHARGE $15 PER MONTH for the pleasure of receiving their junk mail is ###ED. The reason why the scam is working for them is because it is SO OUTRAGEOUS!! Everyone else knows that to build loyalty, you treat your customers well. You don't piss on them. OK fine: I consent to give you my email address, you send me your weekly/daily/whatever promotional offers...Maybe you'll have an interesting headline that lures me in, and you'll score a hit during my next need to shop to for a gift. For my email address and the right to annoy me you give me a $15 credit on my next order. Makes sense. Why would anyone NEED to read fine print? DUH. You DON'T DO THIS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!! I grew up in my family's retail business, and worked for majors like Macy's. This practice is unheard of, and anathema to building a loyal following. Of COURSE no one is going to check the fine print for this.

Not only do I have to track down this firm, during their hours, harangue for a refund, and avoid all ecommerce, they've probably already sold my address to some other underbelly phishing scammers. Horrid. Many thanks to poster who published the management list. That will come in handy later.

Decline of western civilization. Disappointment with human race.

Red Envelope just lost my business permanently, and I hope I never accidentally order from ProFlowers in a moment of floral generosity. Shudder.

• Da
      12th of Apr, 2009

That this site requires gigantic full registration for the satisfaction of posting is also scary. You aren't safe any where!

• Le
      13th of Apr, 2009

I ordered from Oriental Trading and upon checkout there was a pop-up that asked if I wanted to save $10-15 on my next purchase. I clicked YES and provided my email address. AND - there was some type of terms and condition that came up - I just clicked it without reading. Honestly I thought it was something to do with Oriental Trading. I have ordered from them in the past and have never had any issues.
    This was totally my fault!
    I called Easy Saver / Encore Marketing at 888-595-9380 and they have removed my membership.
    I am in the process of getting a new card number now.
    Lesson learned. This was totally my error! I didn't read the fine print.