Enbridge Gas / cut off service

1 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

We have recently declared bankruptcy and chose to not include our utilitiy bills, bad decision!. We struggled all winter with bills and are just getting on our feet recently. We have just paid enough to keep services going which is absolutely not enbridge gas' issue. However we have discussed payment arrangments to catch up and be completely paid off as of june 19th. We should not have called at all because prior to the phone call we had no shut-off notices and just paid little by little. The minute Enbridge received a call for the payment arrangements they wanted payment in full and nothing less. We pleaded several times with different reps only to get an absurd payment arrangement. We were also making other arrangements with other utilities as well so we could not afford them all at once. Hydro had no problem with our payments and are almost completely paid off. Now Enbridge has cut off our service. We have 3 young kids one of which is a newborn and no heat or hot water. We told Enbridge we would pay, it would only take a bit to get it all paid off. They should not be able to cut off service when you are making reasonable payment arrangements. These companies are in the perfect position of power because you the consumer have no choice but to use them. They have almost no competition! I can understand a service disruption when people are not answering the phone and never paying. With a recession possibly on our doorstep more and more people will be declaring bankruptcy and unable to pay their bills "on time" and these companies seem to have no remorse. I read in the states an elderly woman died due to the direct result of her gas being cut off in the winter due to non payment...surprised???

Comments

• Le
      5th of Nov, 2010

I totally understand and urge the govt to ensure we have laws governing this company and how much it charges(its more to deliver, taxes etc, than the acutal usage), the way they can hold the "cut off" against you if you dont pay and the lack of customer service. They listen to your plea, write down the arranged payment schedule(so you think) and still tell you that it may be cut off! so why go thru the whole thing? They want you to go and steal if necessary to pay their bills! like they are the only that a family has to pay in these difficult times! Other companies make the arrangements.. but because this company have you by the ????, it doesnt care, which is why I believe we need more companies to come in and give them the competition and the people the choice. We are at their mercy! I cant wait for the day I have a choice to shop around!