Employment Insurance / Don't go on a family vacation if you're on EI

1 Ontario, Canada

We booked a vacation for December before I lost my job in September. I completed my EI forms and was in recepit of benefits (1 week). We went on our first real vacation in 10 years last week and today when I was completing my report online I indicated (being honest and not thinking that it was kick me in my ###) that I was away for 5 days. Immediately the online service told me I had to call in to complete my report. So I called at 8:05am (they open @ 8am) and the automatic system hung up on me twice, stating their call volumes were too high and I could not be transfered! So when I finally got a live rep (after 30 mins) she told me that I could NOT receive any money for those 5 days I was on vacation!!! 5 days! For the first time in 10 years! If I had know that I would have been out of a job and needed to be in the country to collect EI I would not have booked a vacation! Honestly! I have to pay taxes to the government when I work(even when I collect EI) but get screwed for taking a vacation! This is bloody marvelous!

Ja