Empire Today / dishonest salesman

Saint Paul, MN, United States Review updated:
I need new carpet for my home as I'm trying to sell it. I called Empire to try to get the cheapest deal possible because of an advertised 50% off sale. When Steve, the Empire sales rep came out, he measured my place, and the cheapest carpet that he'd show us was $4000 for the job. Since I only wanted to pay about half that, I was fine with it - but, Steve told my fiancee and I that the 50% off deal didn't apply to the quality that we chose. What the heck did that mean?!?

INSTEAD - Steve, because he "liked us" and thought we were a nice couple, was going to "break the rules a bit" and he'd buy the carpet for us through his 35% employee discount, which, he'd take 10% for himself, and pass 25% savings on to us, so, we were down to about 3200 dollars now. I told him that every other place quoted us about 2000, including Home Depot. He then pulled out a typewritten sheet that he made up himself about Home Depot, about all of their "hidden" charges. (all lies, we later found out, as we went to Home Depot to check.) I asked him for a card, in case we changed our minds, and he refused to give us any identifying information, and wouldn't leave the estimate with us either.

I was SO angry at the treatment, (and glad I read this stuff here) that I felt compelled to write. Steve obviously works on commission, but was so bad at it, (his cell phone kept ringing too, as if he was trying to seem self important) that I felt compelled to write here.

Do your research and don't be intimidated by your empire salesman! Thankfully, becuase I did, I didn't waste a LOT of money!

Comments

Re
  21st of Jan, 2008
Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post. We will contact you within the next three business days. Please feel free to contact us at CustomerSupport@empiretoday.com for further assistance.
St
  13th of Apr, 2008
In all fairness, though I am aware that in sales there are dishonest sales folks, there are never the less dishonest folks in all industries.

I have sold in the, "In home" sales industry for years and I have dealt with, "Dishonest" clienst from time to time. Folks that said I said something I didn't, offered something I did not etc.

Point being, it is a two way street. I use an old principle when working with the public and it has served me well over the others and it is this:

Do under others as you would have them do unto you.

Integrity and character coupled with quality and service are a winning combination for all parties and it is how I operate.

If you have recieved less tha that I apologize for the salesman you had to deal with.

Ask for local references.

Best,