[Resolved] Empire Today / do not do business with these ripoffs!

We contacted Empire for an estimate for some hardwood flooring during their 50% off Christmas sale. The sales rep came out, measured, showed us some samples, and said the laminate would be our best choice in a high traffic area, and he had the same stuff in his house. He quoted us 320 square foot for a price of $3900.00, or $12.19 a sq.ft. which included removing and hauling the carpet and some tile. Since the holidays were a couple weeks away, we went ahead with Empire. When I asked the rep about the 50% off deal, he pointed to the more expensive hardwood sample and said "It's 50% of that stuff" and walked out the door!

After several calls to which there was no response, I finally spoke with a Mr. John Tyra who was the sales manager for the So. Cal region. He informed me that the 50% off was for material only, not labor, to which I agreed. However, when he said that the price of the laminate (which in my opinion, is of average to inferior quality) was $260.00 a box and that my price WAS the 50% off, I couldn't believe what I was being told!

I will tell everyone I know NOT TO DO BUSINESS with these ripoffs.

• Resolution statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Jan 24, 2012

John, we apologize for the trouble you had contacting customer service and the confusion regarding your refund. We assure you that your experience is not in line with how we expect our customers to be treated, as we always want to address our customers’ concerns. We understand that you have received your refund, and we will be reaching out to you to discuss this further. Please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email us at [protected]@empiretoday.com if you have any questions. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, May 17, 2012

It’s wonderful to hear that your installation went so well. We always want to provide our customers with outstanding service and make the home improvement process easy and convenient, so we’re happy to know that this was the case. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2013

Linda, we understand that we were in contact with you when your concerns were brought to our attention several years ago. We take such issues very seriously, and if you would like to discuss this matter again with us, please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or [protected]@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Sep 26, 2013

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, Juliet. We regret that the issues you’ve been experiencing have not yet been resolved, as we never want our customers to be disappointed in their products. We understand that we’ve been in contact with you about this matter, and we will be following up with you again soon to work towards a resolution. You can also reach us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or [protected]@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service manager

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Oct 08, 2014

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We’re disappointed that our all inclusive pricing did not meet your expectations. We understand that you’ve chosen to go with another company, but we would still like the opportunity to address your concerns and better explain our pricing, current promotion, and price match guarantee. If you’re still interested in speaking with us, please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or [protected]@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Jeanette Ramey, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Feb 25, 2015

Hi Bill, thank you for bringing this to our attention. It’s disappointing that your installation experience did not meet your expectations, and we would like to know more about the issues that occurred. We will be following up with you shortly to discuss the situation and work towards a resolution. You can also reach us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or [protected]@empiretoday.com.Thank you. Jeanette Ramey, National Customer Service Manager

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Oct 27, 2015

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We regret that your concerns have not yet been resolved, and we would like to help make things right for you. Unfortunately, we cannot locate your account with the information posted here. Please send your contact information to [protected]@empiretoday.com or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195, so we can follow up with you. Thank you.

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Aug 24, 2016

Dear Gloria,
    Thank you for expressing your concerns. We regret that your concerns have yet to be answered. We will be in contact with you soon to discuss this matter in more detail.
    Thank you.
    -Empire Today Customer Support

Va
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Ev
      23rd of Aug, 2016

I spent $5000, 00 on flooring 4 yrs ago, approximately 3 wks ago I notice the carpet in one room had start bulging in places. I contacted Empire and after staying @ home waiting for a return call, I had business to take care of. While out, some one called, after listening to the msg iwas unable to retrieve it again to get the number, so I call the main number again. The rep said she would send Alfonsa, this is the guy that left the msg. the next couple of days I did the same thing over and over, still did not hear from them. I contacted consumer Affairs; I conversed with them over and over again. A lady left a msg for me to contacted her; I called left a msg and still no response. This was over a week ago. I agree with with others that have filed complaints. Recently, I received an e-mail from Consumer Affairs stating that they had received notice that I no longer wanted to continue with my complaint. I relayed to them this was not true, and no one had contacted me with concern with my complaint. STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING FROM ANYONE. I CAN SEE WHY SO MANY BUSINESSES FAIL. THE GET YOUR MONEY THEN KICK YOU TO THE CURVE. YOU DON'T DO YOUR CUSTOMERS WRONG AND EXPECT TO KEEP GAIN. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES BACK AROUND.

• Re
      7th of Jan, 2016

Stay away from this company!!! Installed 7 months ago, still no satisfaction, none. Repeated calls to customer service gave none. Repeat, do not engage this company for any work.

• Do
      22nd of Oct, 2015

i have damage to my wood floor that installed about a year ago by empire. the damage was caused by a roof leak... part of the floor was damaged and needs to be repaired.. i have called several times over the past 3 weeks...explained that i need some one to come out and give me an estimate for the rapair. i told empire that i would pay and my insurance company would reimburse me... no one called again.. finally a sales person came out yesterday 10/21/15 and said i needed to replace my whole floor. not the case.. said i need to replace the flooring on the part that is damaged. since they put it in they know the type of flooring, etc... he called the installation manager ( john cohen) and john said he would call me today (9/22/15) no call. i called and apparently he is in a MEETING... the customer service rep said he would make sure that john got the message and would that john would call me back... still waiting... cannot believe they treat customers this way since i have put in two whole room wood floors down in my house in the last 2 years... what is the problem here?? they will get paid since it does not fall under warranty... i have an account with these people... can someone help??? frustrated and getting angry

• De
      22nd of Feb, 2015

I feel that I was ripped off. I wanted hardwood floors put in and tile in the bathroom and kitchen. They had scheduled the tile first and the tile guy came out said no hardwoods had to go in first. So I had to wait for the hardwood floors. Finally the installer for hardwoods comes out to install the hardwoods. There was a problem with one of the floors being lower than the rest of the house so they charge me extra $ for plywood for that small room. Then when tile guy started in do the tile he says he has seven sheets Of plywood which they never use the plywood. So I was wondering why they charge me extra for plywood when it should've already been figured in the estimate they gave me. I received no breakdown of the material they used . I wanted my front entry done with tile and it never got done very disappointment with empire today. I cannot recommend them .

• Su
      6th of Oct, 2014

This company is defiantly a scam. I did flooring with my dad, and we put this in his whole basement, costing us 350.00$ that was 3 rooms, and a bathroom, plus the foam ( laminate wood is what we did) I just had them come and give me a quote Saturday. They are having the 50/50/50 sale right now. I don't know how the hell they stay in business, since most stores like Lowes and Home Depot help you learn to DIY. The flooring I liked which was Timberline color: Lumberjack Hickory would have been 14, 000 $ for my 641 SQ FT. HA!!! They said only around 7, 000 $ because of the sale. I looked it up at Lowes and said eh I should just do it my self. It's only 1.99 $ a SQ FT which means with the foam and the new base board I might spend 1500 $ LMFAO. I'm doing it myself. Its really not hard you just have to be able to make good cuts... NOT TO MENTION. I just moved into my house 5 months ago, I am a neat freak, I tore all the Berber carpets out the day I moved in, and all the carpet tac tracks, also I painted the floors as prep since the previous owners had pets who peed and crapped all over. I have very minimal furniture. They have no old materials to haul away and the area is basically a cake walk for them. STILL they quoted around 5000-7000$ that is [censored]ng ridiculous!!! If anyone wants laminate...you buy the material and I will come put it in.. Ill charge you 500-1000 bucks...You save huge and I make a few bucks! My dad just did a job for a guy who works at Lowes, he did his 3 bedrooms and hallway... the guy got a deal on his material because he works at Lowes. but besides that my dad only charged him 600$ for all the installation!!!

• Ju
      25th of Sep, 2013

OMG--do NOT buy bamboo flooring from Empire! We purchased a condo in Singer Island, FL, in August 2012. We had Empire install bamboo floors in the bedrooms in April 2013; we saw immediate problems with buckling, bubbles, etc. Empire came out in June to "repair." Again, same buckling and bubbles. We called again; this time, they said they'd have to send an "installation supervisor." She came and agreed that there were installation problems (no allowance for expansion), and she found some green mold in one small spot in a bedroom. She had installer come out and "fix" the other bedroom. No surprise: still buckling and bubbles! Now Empire is claiming that the problems are entirely due to "a leak in the condo, " and they refuse to return to repair.
    Before purchase of the condo, we naturally had a full inspection done; no leaks. So, Empire is tired of trying to make this job right and it's easier to blame the customer. I guess we're just out around $4, 000. If Empire knows that South Florida is humid, and bamboo floors just won't cut it, then why are they selling bamboo floors in South Florida???

• Li
      7th of Jan, 2013

In June of 2007 I contracted Empire to put both laminate and carpet in my new condo. When the installers were through, I was missing my flat screen TV, microwave and several smaller items. They were the only people in my home so there is no question as to how these items disappeared. We immediately filed a police report and contacted the salesperson and Empire Headquarters. It is 2013 and this issue remains unresolved and unreplied to. They did not respond to requests from the police department or me. I am stunned that this kind of business behavior is allowed to go on in America. Empire surely shows us where things have gone wrong and they are using every ugly tactic to remain in business. Purchasers beware.

• Ne
      28th of Sep, 2012

I must say that after 6 or 7 phone calls, I did get a rep who understood my complaint & actually sent us a refund for the$ 94.00 they charged us for their mistake.I explained that the hallway he measured was part of the living room price they quoted me-I guess they did get tired of the phone calls, Never give up -just keep calling.I am happy to say that we got our check (finally)& have learned never to use your company ever again, &Thanks for all the extra carpet, like I said Measure Twice-Cut once!!!You should hire people who can measure a carpet...

• Il
      17th of May, 2012
    Empire Today - i loved it
    empire today
    Greensboro
    North Carolina

when the guys came to install they where respectful and polite and they did a two day job in only a couple hours they where very quick and i love how they left my floor keep up the good work empire and (those Hispanics that did my floor !!!) i cant really remember one of their names but i think it was cezer and i think Carlo's :) thank you guys

• 0 Votes

Complaints are complaints. I am shopping for carpet 4, 000 sq ft. Petty complaints don't exist in my book. Carpeting an entire house is a major financial committment and I expect to get what I am promised...no fine frint, no lies, no loopholes, complete disclosure.
    What I want is a guarantee that I bever have to use.
    Whow wants the hassle of of having to call, call again, get passed around and then try it again the next day, and so on? They try to make it so difficult and time consuming to get a simple justified refund that eventually you will give up. Who can I trust to carpet my house? Looks like it isn't Empire.

• Em
      20th of Jan, 2012
    Empire Today - Customer Satisfaction Bunch of scum bags
    Connecticut

Being Charged a fee of $150.00 to bring in extra people to move a pool table for the carpeting. WELL, they never brought in extra people and asked me to help them move the pool table. After trying to pursue this $150.00 extra fee for services they never performed, their customer service has totally ignored us. Totatally dissatisfied, will never do business with them again
    and recommend you dont do business with them at a ALL!!!

• De
      16th of Oct, 2009

I wanted to install some hardwood floors in a space a little under 500qft. I had the empire guy come out, he quoted me about $3850. This would include the material (laminate) removal of carpet and disposal, Installation and taxes. I didn't know how much something like this would cost and this was the first quote I received so I told the empire guy we'd think about it. I did make a $25 deposit just incase to keep the quote.

I found an independant contractor which was referred by a family member. The guy came out and measured and quoted me about $1350. I also received another quote for about $1400 from another contractor that a friend reffered. I went with the $1350 guy and I couldn't be happier! The floors were installed within a day, he removed the old carpet and disposed of it, and he even did the molding. He did an awesome job.

I called Empire to cancel and get my deposit back, they tried to bring the price down to $3250, I told them no thanks and they cancelled my order. I just hope I get my deposit in the mail.

So yea.. I would definately agree that Empire Today is a SCAM.

• Ro
      11th of Aug, 2009

Advocate team... blows hard... these are 18-25 yr old bia-bia's at a computer desk at the home office laughing at you!---------------- Yes YOU!

stupid empire

• Co
      11th of May, 2009

Thank you for bringing your installation experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [protected]@empiretoday.com so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Advocate Team
    Empire Today, LLC

7th of May, 2009

they did lower our rates, and it seems the prices have stayed the same. Its a shame

• Ne
      4th of May, 2009
    Empire Today - no call back
    Empire today
    Ringwood
    New Jersey

I also failed to mention that after they were done with the carpet installation, There was enough carpet left over to carpet a whole other room.Thanks for nothing Empire today!.I just love the way you get away with ripping off War Veterans and the Elderly.You should be ashamed of yourselves...Never again..!!!RUN FAR AWAY FROM THEM...FAST.

• Ca
      22nd of Apr, 2009

Just wanted to let you know I used to install carpet with a man who overcharged everyone! The reason they are late is because they are a bunch of drunks. It's a tough job and I'm sure there are good people out there installing, but do your homework on a company before you hire them. The installers are usually independent contractors and can get away with anything. Buyer beware!

• Tm
      7th of Apr, 2009
    Empire Today - Schedule
    Empire Today
    Texas

They where late...very very late. They said 9-11, they showed up around noon. I was his first call of the day too. He got lost...he had a GPS and he got lost!

If you are curiuos, they charge $11 per sqft installed for the cheap stuff. The 60% off is for the ugliest product they have and they say it is actually more (after 60% off) than the regular stuff...which tells me that it is either a lie or they charge way way to much.

• Tr
      28th of Mar, 2009

• Tr
      28th of Mar, 2009
    Empire Today - is empire today scam ?
    empire today
    all states

are their prices right ?
    do they treat their contractors like trash ?
    I know for a fact empire-today lowered paying rates to their contractors but for some reason they are still charging the same ridiculos high prices to clients, is this fair ????