Empire Today / disrespectful salesman

United States Review updated:
My husband and I requested a free estimate from empire today on 06/27/07. We are pregnant and wanted to have laminate flooring installed throughout our home so our baby would have a nice home to live in once she arrives. The salesman came out the next day to provide our estimate. The estimate was 8 times the amount of an estimate that I received from another company. I told the salesman the price that I was expecting to pay, that we could not afford those kind of prices, and that I was very sorry for wasting his time. He told me that he was "teaching me the facts of life" and that I "was delirious in my thinking to believe that I could get that kind of pricing". I told him that we were done here and asked him to leave. He did not leave; instead, he called his "manager" to tell him about the quote we received (This time it wasn't what he said, it was his tone). I had to leave the room for a moment because I was so disrespected by this salesman in my own home. I came back and told the salesman that "I am not trying to be disrespectful, but you need to leave my home." he still would not leave. Instead, he passively agreed with me as he sat on my couch. I had to leave the room again because I was so angry that he was disrespectful and belittling of my decision and research. Thankfully, my husband was at home and politely escorted him to the door. Yes, I am pregnant; however, I know when I am being disrespected, ripped-off, and belittled. My purpose is to warn future consumers: do not allow empire today to come into your home!

N  2nd of Jul, 2007 by
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 24 hours to address your concerns in full detail.
A  24th of Jul, 2007 by
I could tell how important it my complaint was to Empire Today when the Sales Manager called me, responding to my complaint, asking if he could get us another sales rep. No apology. No remorse for the sales rep action. No thanks.
A  8th of Oct, 2007 by
I had Empire come out for an estimate on Thursday. The salesman just game me the creeps. He kept telling me that I needed a new vacuum and telling me about the houses he builds and then sells and all sorts of stuff. I just wanted an estimate. He was also very disorganized. He couldn't find correct paperwork, left things in his car, etc. After taking 1 full hour he comes with an estimate for our livingroom, which is not huge. The estimate was $1,662. So, we told him we would think about it and if we decided to go with them I would call him. He said ok and left us his cell phone number. We then went and got some more estimates and I got a great price on carpet for the livingroom for a little over $700 including labor and removing the old carpet.

The following day, I get home from work and about 15 minutes later my doorbell rings. It's the darn Empire salesman. I didn't call him and I didn't want him back over. Well, I didn't open the door. Like I said, he gave me the creeps and my boyfriend had left to go Up North for the week-end. So, I figured the guy would leave. wrong. He decides to camp out on my front porch for almost a half hour! I called Empire and told them I did not request him to come out. They then told me that my appointment had been rescheduled to that day. I said NO he was out on Thursday. Finally the man left.

I swear he drove by our house on Saturday as well. I call him the Empire stalker! If he would have kept coming to my house like that, I would have called the police. That is very rude to just show up at someones house and camp out on the front porch!
N  11th of Apr, 2008 by
Hey, I thought you were hot, so I came back to lay some pipe, if you know what I mean. You were giving me some signals, I thought we had something going.

By the way, are those tubes real?
N  25th of Sep, 2008 by
A  14th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was an Empire Salesman in the Tampa area in the past. This whole operation is a scam to all concerned. They ripoff the public AND their salespeople. The Tampa sales office is run my this wormy little guy named Michael Smith. You have never seen such a poor manager. I called him once and he was so drunk, he didn't even know who I was- and I worked for him. What an idiot. He tells the sales people to charge the customer Florida sales tax, but don't list it as tax on the invoice. I thought this was weird until I went to the Florida Tax statutes and discovered these products are not taxable! I suspect this is a violation of Florida law. They tell their sales people not to list it under the tax section, to prevent the state from being able to come after them.

This entire operation is a joke. There is constant bickering among the staff. Sales meetings are a waste of time. The management spends most of their time gripping about there bosses- some lady named Lucy Kaulkman somewhere. I never met the lady. At one meeting, the sales management stood up and said that Lucy Kaulkman was a "Witch". This was heard by the entire sales team. I wonder how they expect to have a strong morale when stuff like this goes on? Sales management is a case of individuals rising to the level of their incompetence (Peter Principle). Empire Today is a terrible place to work and their product prices are about three times above retail. STAY AWAY from them.

Empire Today Logo Empire Today