[Resolved] Empire Carpetterrible experience

I 'm headed to court. After reading all these complaints I found to be true. My alarm wiring was damaged during installation of laminated flooring. It was working before the installation. Empire does not want to pay me $400.00 I spent fixes the repair, if I am wrong to do this, let the judge tell me so.From the beginning I saw the ad(very impressive ad) I called the salesman was nice and oh so good customer service. After the deal I called him to tell him what had happen & along came a devil not interested, I have your sale now. Then I have fought to try to get my money, it will not break me but it is the other people that this may happen to. I am going to stand up for my rights. Oh, I failed to mention one customer service rep. hung up on me. I will never buy anything or tell anyone to buy anything from Empire Today. All I wanted was a new floor and I got a Headache. I am so sorry I purchased from them. Customer Service is not what it use to be.

• Resolution statement

• Company Response's Response, Feb 11, 2009

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We encourage you to contact us directly by either visiting our online customer service center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service or e-mailing us at [protected]@empiretoday.com. Our team looks forward to working toward resolving your issue immediately.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Advocate Team
    Empire Today, LLC

• Company Response's Response, Oct 28, 2009

Sincerely,
    Consumer Advocate Team
    Empire Today, LLC

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Jul 31, 2012

Manuel, we never want our customers to be disappointed in the products they receive, and we understand that we have been in contact with about the issues you’ve experienced. We will follow up with you shortly to discuss a resolution. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at [protected] x4195 or [protected]@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Comments

Sep 19, 2007
    Empire Carpet - Italian Tile stolen 3-4 boxes!

This company is a scam. I paid way too much for work done. The salesman was a shyster. Empire did nothing to help me fix the problem. Excuses after excuses! I could have done the work myself and not gotten ripped off! I am frustrated and feel IO was taken advantage of. I will NEVER use this company again!

• Em
      Sep 21, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 36 business hours to address your concerns in full detail.

• Va
      Oct 08, 2007

These people are the worst. If you want an all to multi-day nightmare, though, they're your ticket.

To make a long story short, with no justification, they ripped up my carpeting and left my tenant with a cold, ugly concrete floor for two days. Her rent will be refunded for those two days, of course, because unlike some I have at the least knowledge of such things that reside on a basic, child's level of business ethics. I can't really make up for her inconvenience.

Their installer crew was infantile, and only one could speak English, and that not well. I had to clean up after them on the concrete with a rag and some bleach to kill mold spores (he had already complained that the floor was "wet", just a thin film of bleach left, so it's not like he wouldn't have acted up over a bucket full of water and a mop--but as I said, I'd already told the salesman I had to clean up in some form). The fumes hung around a while, and were quickly disspitating, but suddenly this guy just took his crew out and refused to work. In the time we spent calling the company back and forth the fumes had already dissiptated. First he told me that he'd come back later; I said he'd need to be done by 6pm, which, considering it was 10:30am and he had only two more stops, was not an unreasonable expectation. But all he kep saying was "I can't promise it", and you could tell by his manner that he didn't expect to even try to, because I flatly asked him, "why don't you say you'll even try," and he said--"I might have if you'd been a little nicer to me." This was because I'd had enough with his attitude--he'd done nothing but complain since he'd arrived--and told him he was acting like a baby. Without any clearance, as far as I knew, he left. At that point, the understanding was that he coming back as far as I knew, but I didn't know exactly when.

I called the salesman but he told me he had no time for me, got very, very nasty, sided with the truck crew, and then turned of his cell phone after two calls. He told me he had no control over anything, which is probably true, not that he ever tried. But I told him, plainly, that it's today or never.

Their customer service acted as a shield between me and the installer manager. The installer manager flatly refused to speak to me and hear what I had to say. I told them what they were doing to my tenant, that this wasn't just an extra room. They didn't care.

I called the truck team leader directly (his number had come up on caller ID), and he told me he was still definitely coming back to finish after his next two jobs. He said the first was taking longer than he thought because he had more furniture to move than he'd expected (which he didn't have to do at my place).

Around 4pm I started to get a little nervous, so I called him, and it rang, then he hung up. I lefty a message. Shortly after that I called customer service and asked them to call him and have him call me. They told me he refused, and that in fact the installer manager had already given them permission to go home for the day. Mind you, around 4pm, with the door wide open for 6 hours, there wasn't a trace of bleach fume in the air. There wasn't any even when they left!!!

The installer had, in fact, disbanded his crew already. They were already home.

I was told several times that they had no control over the installers. I must remember, maybe tomorrow, that at work I can go ahead and refuse to do my work and that my employer really can do nothing, as these installers can do. No danger of being fired (or losing a contract) in refusing to do your work!

BUT--here's the kicker--one of their customer service people said that their abominable breach of contract and lack of human decency was THE MANAGEMENT TEAM'S DECISION. Team. Plural. Not just the installer manager, and that's bad enough.

(Oh, and they scratched the paint on my outer door badly.)

And, to top it all off, they'd never intended top tell me 1) that they weren't coming back that day, and 2) that they'd unilaterally decided that it would be just fine to come back on Monday. Their arrogant SOB management actually believed that I was going to eat excrement and like the taste of it, because they had to know I still had Sunday to cancel. But they gambled on my being too exhausted by all this, and DID deliberately waste the entire Saturday for me so that I could barely get any other carpet shopping in that day (as an alternative to them, now that'd they'd left me in this situation) and just wanting to get it over with, that I'd take installation on Monday, and that I'd never be able to get anyone else on such short notice, and even then at best by Monday. They were half right.

Of course I called and cancelled. The management "team" had already left, leaving at times hapless, and at times vicious customer service people.

I DID, at best, get installation by Monday. It was installed today, by courteous PROFESSIONALS.

AND it was carpet I liked better AND it was $200 LESS! (So, does this mean I owe the installers a "thank you" for putting me through a day of hell and saving me $140? Nah.) Because I DID remember an excellent place that I'd used once before for outdoor carpeting, and the owner himself--and it's a big place--came over to take measurements on Sunday (there was little he could do about work crews on such short notice as 5:30pm afternoon, and all their installers are off Sunday, as are almost all for al carpeters).

So IN YOUR EYE Empire Carpet! As long as I had to wait until Monday, no matter what, did you imagine that YOU would keep my business, or good word of mouth? Because now 7 other people today, other than those reading this post, know this about you now; but as at least 4 responded that they already knew what a nightmare company you are (including one CONTRACTOR getting lunch), it looks like you've built up a quite a reputation already.

One of my neighbors and good friends had been considering calling you, in fact; now he won't. Errors like the complete and total lapse of any sensible judgment in all your departments on Saturday have repercussions beyond that immediate sale

Word of mouth advertising is the best of all, but it's a double-edged sword.

Empire called me this morning, by the way, to do some cheap damage control from some complaint control office. In other words, they wanted me to like them for screwing me over. I called back (I'd been out shopping), but got a voicemail. I said that my business was already lost, I ahd the confirmation number to prove it, and if they wanted to call back, sure, I'd tell them my story if they really believed that would make a better business out of them, but that only a fool would ever do business with them again after the way they'd treated me. Never got a call back. That their chance to make this right was on SATURDAY, when they showed they didn't give a d**n.

• Lo
      Nov 13, 2007
    Empire Carpet - Unreasonable pricing and Unproffessional Salesmen
    www.empiretoday.com

Empire came out and gave us an estimate to put laminate throughout our home (living room, kitchen, hallway) and to replace the trim around the perimeter of the room. The salesman was more interested in trying to be our friend than to make a sale. He was loud, and rude. Since it's a condo that we only plan to live at about 2 more years before we sell, we wanted something middle grade - so he went to his car & said he would bring the middle grade up. After getting the estimate (joke!), he said it would be cheaper if we went with laminate that wasn't as nice as what he had was the top of the line. And this stuff was ugly and cheap looking. And he said he had brought the middle grade up, now he says it was the best they had? At 680 square feet, the idiot salesman offered us a joke of a price of $11,000. Now keep in mind they were having a 50% off laminate flooring sale - yeah right!! We tell him it's not QUITE what we had in mind. And all he could say was "it's a big job". We asked for a written estimate, and he could show us nothing. He said he would get one out to us. Well that was a month ago, and I have nothing. We have gone to Lowe's since that time, and got our own estimate of only $5,400 and they measured very very thoroughly. The estimate was very detailed, and customer service is friendly, and they know what they're doing. With moving our own furniture, and appliances, we actually got it down to a mere $4,500. And it's real Pergo flooring and special order kitchen laminate. Not that ugly crap Empire offered us. I hope they get so many complaints that they go out of business! Up yours Empire! 588-rip off!

Nov 15, 2007

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. Unfortunately, we are unable to reference your account with the name provided on this website. We would like to work with you to resolve your concerns. Please contact us at [protected]@empiretoday.com for further assistance.

Mar 26, 2008

thing is what big carpet companys do, $99.00 install whole house(not ) they jack-up the prices on the carpet around $15.00, above cost then they hire any body with a tool in there hand, pay them $2.00-$3.00 a yard, it"s funny because the more yardage the install puts in the less money he makes, the company empire, carpet king, make money on the install, they have a middle man on carpet install too.THINK BEFORE YOU GO TO THESE COMPANYS, you want to go to the small stores most have carpet installers that have been there for 10 years plus, there is a reason, and they talk engish.

• Mv
      Apr 02, 2008
    Empire Carpet - carpet install
    empire carpet
    California

The last company you want to do business with is Empire Carpet. They are misleading, unaccommodating, too expensive and have no costumer service. Buyer beware!

Apr 03, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. Unfortunately, we are unable to reference your account with the name provided on this website. We would like to work with you to resolve your concerns. Please contact us at [protected]@empiretoday.com for further assistance

•   Apr 13, 2008
    Empire Carpet - This company is a scam!
    www.empiretoday.com

This company is a scam they do not show up for appointments and the installers are not professionals! Be careful! be really careful! also be careful of their sales antics they will start with over pricing and then tell you that we can save you money if you buy today. little do you know you eventually accept all the discounts and end up with a market value price you can get anywhere. the company is a scam!!! I feel sorry for the customer that accepts the first offer. Way over priced. God forbid you need a service call, you will wait months before anyone calls you back.

Apr 14, 2008

Apr 29, 2008

My husband and I called empire for a in home quote, when the salesman arrived we told him what we wanted and he went out to his car made a phone call and came back and said we didn't get the credit approval. He then offer to find a secondary financer. We then received a call two days later from nationwide saying they would finance the carpet, they asked to show that I owned the property I had put on the application they need me to fax a copy of property papers. That was all they needed, two months later I go to refinance my property and they had a lien on my property. I don't think that was fare I would never had agree to let them do the financing had i known they were going to put a lien on it. Empire knew this was what they were doing they are in cohost with nationwide. Please if this is offered to you DON'T take the deal, it's not worth it.

• Tw
      Jul 26, 2008

I was interested in either carpeting or tile for my basement floor, and after doing a lot of research on home repair and improvement discussion forums on the Internet, I came to the conclusion that Empire Carpet wasn't a bad option for me. I used their web site to schedule an appointment, and my salesperson arrived right on time.

Being warned in advance that "Empire's biggest issue is the high prices you'll be quoted by your salesperson.", I warned him in advance that I was on a limited budget for this project, and really was just trying to get an idea what carpeting would cost, vs. going with tile.

I didn't feel like he was "high pressure" at all. He suggested a "KeepSake" brand of carpeting (that I now realize is pretty cheap, low-quality stuff - but probably fine for my needs, since this is not a high-traffic area), and asked if he could take measurements and give me a price. I watched him measure, and he seemed to do a pretty complete job. (I saw him measuring the insides of the closets and irregular sections, rather than just taking a basic length by width measurement and adding fudge-factors to cover everything else...)

For about 730 sq. feet of space, he quoted me $2300, including the tear-out of the remaining old carpet/pad and disposal of it, and included 5 steps going up to a landing between floors. I thought this sounded "a little high, but not exactly unreasonable" -- but the fact was, I couldn't afford even that right now. I told him I honestly only had around $1000 in my bank acct. at the moment. He said he'd have to "call his boss and run the figures by him", but thought he could get me a "much better price" that "might make me want to go ahead and get it done now". About 5 minutes later, he came back with a price of $1150.

The job is scheduled for Monday morning, so I can't comment on the quality of the installation work or anything else yet -- but I have everything in writing in the contract, and I went ahead and paid to go with it. If they do what they've promised, and what I signed off on, I think I'll have gotten a very fair price.

I'm sure some people get rude or pushy salespeople, or salesmen who outright lie about what is/isn't going to be done... but I just wanted to say that so far, my Empire experience hasn't really been that bad. Like buying a car, you have to do your homework in advance and be willing to counter-offer whatever figure they quote you ... but I'm pretty certain their installers are as good, if not better than what you'll get from a Lowe's or Home Depot.

• Th
      Jul 30, 2008

As an EX Empire employee, I agree with EVERYTHING you say ... Caveat Emptor

Let the buyer beware

• Ki
      Sep 19, 2008

There is an email sent by Tom w.Pls be carefull for this scammer from the home of scammers called empire carpet.He is not a buyer, and yes he is from empire crew...imagine you pay 0.10 cent per yard of carpet installed woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, then iam sure you pay a $1 for yr rent, or 50 cent for yr mortage...730sq of carpet for $1000-$1250WHAT A LIE.

• Be
      Oct 27, 2008

I scheduled an appointment between 9 am and 11 am for Saturday and was fully prepared to purchase carpeting. At 10 til 11, I received a call informing me that the estimator was running late and would come by 12:30 pm. Since I had already wasted two hours of my Saturday and was quite annoyed, I cancelled the appointment.

I was not asked to reschedule. YAY, AM I GLAD! After reading all the complaints about this company, I've never been so happy to have someone not show up and an operator who didn't give a darn whether I rescheduled or not. Seems like pretty bad service in the current economy. Maybe they'll have to try even harder to scam money out of people?

• Be
      Dec 05, 2008
    Empire Carpet - no show for two appointments
    Empire Carpet

The incompetence of Empire Carpet is extraordinary, and I haven't even seen a representative! I made an appointment, which the reservationist said was for 9:00, not a window from 9:00 to 11:00. No one showed up. When I called, the representative said he couldn't be at my home until 12:30, too late for me, so I wasted my morning. I spoke to a manager whose ability to speak logically and intelligibly was questionable and who had nothing helpful to do or say. I made a second appointment, and the same thing happened. With such incompetence in making appointments, I would definitely be concerned about the level of their ability to lay a carpet or put up window treatments. Happily, there are plenty of other places to look!

• Su
      Feb 09, 2009
    Empire Carpet - Never really measured
    Kansas

I called and made an appointment for Empire Carpet to come measure my house for wood flooring. I am guessing they must have had a promotion for the salesmen to sell carpeting. He talked me out of flooring with worthless reasons. I let him keep talking even though I knew I wasn't going to buy from him. He pretended to measure my rooms (which I had already done) . . . he wasn't even close. I looked at his paperwork when he supposedly went out to talk to his boss about a price (just like the nightmare of buying a car), and he hadn't even done any calculations. He pulled the same trick as in one of the other comments - after giving me a absolutely out of the question quote, he then asked "how much would you be willing to pay"? I told him and he said that they would go for it, if I agreed to have a sign in my yard for Empire. I said I would think about it, and finally after 2 1/2 hours of hot air from the salesman, he left. I went to another company, got much better carpeting (by weight and material) and better padding for half the cost!!! Empire is a racket - stay away for doing business with them.

• Do
      Mar 14, 2009

I have had Empire twice in my home and was completely satisfied...my dining room is just inside the front door and receives a lot of traffic..but it comes perfectly clean even after 6 years...i just had my living room done and it is beautiful...this was in the early fall of 2017..it is light in color and the children cannot wear their shoes on it but it is --so far--wonderful..i am planning on calling them soon for laminate flooring which is how i got here, i always research befor i buy...but if their price is right i will have it installed in four rooms...i hang on to all my contracts and would not hesitate to report them or anyone with shabby work to the BBB--

Jul 27, 2009

what do u expect when u pay for 25% of the room and get the rest for free, , or buy one room and get two free, , if u r that stupid to buy from them enjoy the ride

• Di
      Aug 27, 2009

I had an Empire Rep come to my house yesterday and as we were both gung-ho about everything, to mood changed when we started talking $$.
    For 100 sq yds, he quoted me $3100 and conveniently said he was going to call his boss and then came back with $2900. I asked him for the quote so that I can get 2 more estimates and then the pressure was one. He wanted $50 for the quote, refused to leave, wanted to argue. If it wasn't for the economy and everyone needing a job, I sure would give his name but it's okay now as long as I never have to deal with him again.
    Went to home depot, same carpet, same service and $1400 less.

• Mo
      Sep 27, 2009

we had laminated flooring installed that buckles at the smallest hint of moisture. I will probably end up replacing the flooring with ceramic tile myself from Lowes. If I had the time and energy I would take them to court and sue them but I just want to put this terrible experience behind me and move on with my life.
    DONT' USE EMPIRE.

• Ge
      Oct 28, 2009
    Empire Carpet - Billing error
    Empire Carpet

We ordered carpet and blinds from empire carpet, we were told the carpet

was $1900.00 and the blinds were gonna be $400.00 it was suppose to be

a total of $2300.00 now all of a sudden its $2540.00, we put the $400.00

on a credit card and financed through empire no payment no finance for

a year for $1900.00, and they readded the $400.00 plus and extra $240.00 on to the bill, we called and the lady argued we signed the contract

we already paid the $400.00 on are credit card they readded it in.

The sales man was and idiot, he didn't measure properly they came out

and couldn't put the carpet down till the next day what a idiot.

• Wi
      Mar 15, 2010

Empire is the crookedest company in the country. Period. Complain to the Federal Trade Comission at:

I just did.

• Te
      May 13, 2010
    Empire Carpet - Stay away
    Empire Carpet

Bought Carpet from Empire a year ago for our bedroom. Started shedding within 30 days. Had A rep from Empire Direct come out and said it was normal. Carpet continued to shed and they sent a rep from an "independent" outside inspection company. Rep came out, totally full of s#@%. Took samples, and while leaving he said "what I found is going to make you very happy". He said he would call within 48 hours. Oh, the idiot called, "Guess what, It's not your carpet, it's your vacuum" KMA. What a crock of s#$%. Since then Empire Direct has been telling us we can buy new carpet at a discounted price, basically admitting that the carpet is no good. Awful carpet, awful company, you get what you pay for. Stay away, pay the extra money upfront.

May 14, 2010

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our customer service team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [protected] so we can assist you.

• Ah
      May 18, 2010
    Empire Carpet - Stay away from them
    Empire Carpet

In oct. of 09' I bought carpeting from these people. The Salesman who came out for the "free" estimate TOTALLY mislead their product, and we ended up going with the more expensive carpet/padding that was not included with the deal. Also, we have a 1 yr warranty.

The padding we chose as was explained to us, was totally leakproof, so nothing could get under the padding...NOT TRUE. Amongst a lot of other things that were not true. To make a long story short, I hired an attorney and will let you all know and please please please stay away from these misleading, dishonest, very rude, non accomidating people

May 18, 2010

• Dl
      Sep 30, 2010
    Empire Carpet - Nasty Carpet
    Empire Carpet

I hate my Empire Carpet. It was installed 2 years ago and looks horrible today. It has not worn well at all and was never a quality carpet to begin with. I cannot wait to get new carpet installed when I can afford it. For now I am stuck with this disgusting carpet. I called Empire and of course they blew me off. Horrible after-sale customer service. It gives me great pleasure when someone new comes to my home to point out my carpet and let them know it was purchased from Empire. They cannot believe it is only 2 years old, I actually had a friend who was considering Empire, she changed her mind quickly in calling them. The carpet was never a good looking, comfortable carpet, it looked cheap they day it was installed. How foolish of me not to have done my home work. Now I am stuck with horrible, disgusting carpet. Thanks Empire!! No wonder you have commericals on TV all day long, you need to reel in all the NEW customers you can get... because I would be shocked if you had repeat customers.

Sep 30, 2010

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. We would like to research your concerns; contact us directly at [protected] to assist you.

• Ed
      May 22, 2011
    Empire Carpet - Wont Repair Bad Installation
    Empire Carpet

We paid over $3000 for a new floor in our kitchen and dining room. the salesman ensured us that the floors could be installed directly over the existing floor. From the first week there were problems. The installers had to come back multiple times because they didnt have the correct parts. Within a month the floor started to flake. Then the treadles started to pop up at teh steps area and it was apparent that they were not installed properly. They sent out representatives twice to look at the floors. The last 'supervisor' said that he agreed with us but that he doubted that they would do anything. Now the flooring has swollen bubbles in it. After multiple letters and calls we eventually gave up.

May 25, 2011

We’ve read your post about the issues you’re experiencing with your installation and want to reach out to you to learn more and help. As our National Customer Service Manager, I’d like to personally work on a resolution as we want you, and all of our customers, to be satisfied with the product we’ve installed in your home. We standby our workmanship and we want to work with you to make things right. Since I don’t have your contact information, could you please email it to me at [protected]@empiretoday.com or contact me at [protected] x4195 so I may follow back with you? Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Pe
      May 26, 2011

If you Google "Empire Carpet Complaint" you will find that the above post from Rebekah Clerk is nothing more than yet another scam against the consumers. This Rebekah Clerk has been posting the same exact comment seen here above to any and all complaints on line ... she is trying to make it appear that complaints are being handled and her team cares. Don't fall for it. There are hundreds of us who are still waiting on REBEKAH CLERK to return calls and emails. IT IS A SCAM. STEER CLEAR OF EMPIRE TODAY IN EVERY CAPACITY!

Jun 24, 2011

I will NEVER, EVER deal with Empire again...on 6/11/2017 I called Empire to come out so i can get a quote for my living room and hallway...R. Miller was the representative they sent out to my house. And boy did he mess everything up... When he came out, he was really nice, did measurements, gave us a quote, and we were quite satisfied . After he left, we found water damage to another room, so we called him back to get an estimate for the other room as well. He stated he could not return that day and that he would be able to come out the next day. So the next day came...no R. Miller. Then day after we called him again, left a message, and no response. The next day we called again, no response. The next week i called customer service, and spoke with a supervisor. I advised the supervisor I did not want the same representative anymore and than R. Miller called us back! He pleaded for another chance, and we gave him one, only for everything to get messed up again. He came out, and we agreed to have the carpet installed the next day. The next day came, and no one came out. So i called R. Miller, only so he could tell me he messed up again, the date set for 7/11/2017.. By this time I was extremely upset!! So Empire was able to sent two workers out. One had a broken arm and the other did most of the work himself. Oh, did i mention, they got glue on my new carpet, WOOOW... So Empire offered me Two hundred dollars back due to the inconvenience. Hey guys, check this out. In order to get the $200.00, I have to sign a release form basically stated that I can not release any negative comments, offensive things, or tell anyone about my experience with EMPIRE. This is RIDICULOUS. Now after getting off the phone with customer service on 6/24/2017, they tell me I DO NOT have to sign the general release form, only for me just to trust them. I THINK NOT. This is a matter for the court to handle. I decided to state my experience with Empire before any paperwork is signed and any agreements are made. I wish I would have NEVER dealt with them in the first place.

• Kt
    Empire Carpet - Crummy carpet
    Empire carpet
    6585 main street
    Downers grove
    Illinois
    Phone: [protected]

The sales guys scam you. We were told we were getting the rolls Royce of carpet and padding...ha ha ha. What a joke. Carpet is paper thin and construction grade, padding is almost non-existent. This company is terrible and they swindle you. I'm telling everyone I know not to use empire and am writing to the bbb today. What a joke these guys are. We did NOT get what we expected.

• Ti
      Jul 30, 2012

I agree they said i needed 845 sq ft of carpet and the next company i had measure it only came up with 690 sq ft, plus with the one room free, It would have come to $3, 200.00 for 2 rooms. The company is a joke what a ripoff.

rug burned.