Empire Carpet / Misleading advertising!

On 9/13/07, a Empire sale rep visited my newly purchased home in an effort to offer a free estimate in the hopes of possibly making a purchase. The rep, upon entering the home presented body language as if he knew he would not make a sale that day. And, why waste my time. I do believe he came to this conclusion based on the neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY. ALSO, i FIRST TOLD HIM I WAS A RENTER. We began discussing what my needs were. He immediately told me, "we only have one type of wood-and it is the highest price", he went on further to say"laminate or carpet may be better as it is the least expensive". I questioned how much would the hard wood floor... cost. He then took i guess what was a measurement that arrived at 80sq. ft., and quoted a price at over $2500. He then went on to say well the traffic, and who would be walking on a daily basis-along with looking and judging my weight(180)might not be such a good purchase. At no time did he offer the pay later deal as advertised. I was told that my credit would be checked at the time of estimate-he did nothing. I believe he assumed my credit would not go through, although it is 725. BASICALLY IN A NUT SHELL THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH MY EXPERIENCE. SO PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN CERTAIN NEIGHBORHOODS. THEY WILL NOW OFFER THEIR FULL PROFESSIONALISM. THEY WILL JUDGE YOU BASED ON RACE AND LOCATION. THIS IS TRULY WHAT I FEEL HAPPENED IN THIS CASE. HE OFFERED HIS APOLOGIES, BUT FOR WHAT. HE COULD HAVE MADE A CASH SALE WITH THE CORRECT MEASUREMENTS...

Comments

• Em
      21st of Sep, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and we were not able to process this complaint because of the lack of information we have for this you. If you would like to speak to someone in regards to your concerns, please contact us at 888-588-2315 ext. 7782. This is the Office of the President.

• To
      5th of Nov, 2007

Empire is a rip-off. They sure do have no good, dishonest sales people. We had a free in home estimate for 2 bedrooms and a hall. The salesperson estimated that we need 480 sq foot of carpet. Good thing my husband know measurement because we only needed 350 square foot. Also he quoted us a price of $2700 dollars of prime (the best carpet they had) . I ask about the 2 rooms and 1 hall they advertise for $599.00. He informed us that this was the cheap carpet and he don't sell that.

When we informed him that $2700.00 was way over our budget for carpet he made a call to his so called manager, to see it we can get a better deal. Low and behold we can get the prime carpet for only $1750.00. And this was a one time right now deal. After we told him that we need to talk this over and get back to him the next day. Granted this was at 9:30 pm. On October 31, 2007. We with ahead and order the carpet.

Do you know the next day Empire was adverting 50% off all their carpet. When I contact the salesman about this advertisement I was informed that this price was only for the cheaper carpet.

How can they advertise only the cheap carpet and not the prime.

Even if we had purchase the carpet at the full price and gotten the 50% discount it still would've have been cheaper than the so call discount price that the salesman gave us.

EMPIRE IS A RIP-OFF. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

• Cd
      9th of Feb, 2008

Ok I am glad to have read all of this today. 2/10/08 and I think I will go with Home Depot!

The ads that Empire shows on TV seemed strange to me since they are so constant.

I just think I know why now ... they are a pressure cooker it seems. Such a sad company. Must be a real downer to work for them unless you are at the top of the food chain.

• Ka
      28th of May, 2008

Yikes! We have an in-home estimate scheduled for tonight! I wonder if we should cancel. I just want a price per square foot; I'm not interested in being pressured by a used car salesman. Maybe we should just see what Home Depot or Lowe's will quote.