Empire Carpet / Rudeness & no direct answers to questions

The sales person came to our home. Showed us six different carpets & asked us to select while he measured two bedrooms. When he returned to the living room my husband ask how much each carpet was. the sales persons reply was "$99 a square yard, but Mr Empire doesn't like him to give out a price before a quote SO LET'S DO IT MY WAY!"

This made my husband so mad he left the house. As a consumer you want to know what you are paying for & how much. He continued to push me to order. I told him I needed to finish painting. He said the installers would mess up the fresh paint so I needed to install right away. When I said I had another company coming the next day and he couldn't fault me for shopping around he said NOBODY could beat his price. The price was another issue all together. He never said anything about padding. When I asked he said "do you think we would install carpet without padding" but he didn't have any samples to show me.

This was a very bad experience & I hope nobody else has to put up with the rudeness.

Comments

• Em
      10th of Aug, 2007

We have contacted Ms. Salva and apologized to her for the inconvenience. Ms. Salva has not accepted our offer of apology and stated that she do not want any further contact from Empire Today again and proceeded to hang up the phone.

• Li
      9th of Oct, 2007

I had scheduled a "free in-home estimate" on Thursday, October 4, 2007 between 5-7pm at a home in which I do not live. I was there from 5-7pm. At 7pm I called Empire and asked where the salesman was. The woman answering the phone says she'll call him.

She comes back and says she had to leave a message, but she sees "in the system" that he had come but no one was home. When I tell her this is not the case and explain that there have been people at the house all day and that I have been there between 5 and 7pm, she calls him again.

This time she gets him on the phone. She says he told her that he did go to the house and talked to someone (!!!) but they said the homeowner was not there. I proceed to tell her that this is a blatant lie and request to talk to the salesman's supervisor. She says they are all gone, but she'll send an email. I've not heard from them yet. I reschedule for Saturday.

Saturday, Nathan comes out. He measures, shows me his products and quotes me $6300. 00 I tell him I have another company coming that afternoon. He gets huffy and says "We're not an estimate company, obviously you're not ready to make a decision." Really? Any sales company is an estimate company because you must give the estimate before you can get the sale!!! I tell him this is not the case, but that I needed more than one quote to make my decision.

He asks about the price, which I felt was about $2k more than it should be. He asks if he can do it for $5k, could we do it for Monday OR Tuesday? I tell him to call me on Monday after 5pm and I'll let him know of my decision. He agrees.

Monday he calls, I ask if he can do it for $4k. He becomes incredulous and says there is no way he can put a product "of this quality" into my home for this amount, then proceeds to say that he assumes I got a quote from another company for that amount (I had not, the other company rescheduled) and that they would not provide as good of a product, etc. I don't comment. He says "We'll split the difference and we'll do it for $6000". I'm sorry, how is the difference between $4k and $6k $300? I ask him what happened to doing it for $5k on Monday or Tuesday and he says, "Oh, well, that was Saturday and we had to do it today AND Tuesday." When I say that's not what he said on Saturday, he argues that it was a misunderstanding. He agrees to "call his boss" and see if we can do it for $5500.

The other company comes, with a product of equal quality, and the salesman is very nice, not rude at all. He quotes me $4100 with a better pad than Empire and also offers to take the extra carpet I had in my home out with the existing carpet.

I don't know how being abrasive and rude is ever a good sales technique. This guy acted as if I was putting him out, and as if he was doing ME a favor. I thought companies were out to make money by selling their product, and salesmen were out to make a commission by selling. Insulting a customer is not a way to sell anything, and I'm happy to give my money to someone else.

• Fo
      30th of Jan, 2008

As a former rep for Empire Today in L.A. market I can say they charge too much for carpet and way to much for flooring. I feel terrible after working for them and am relieved I no longer have to pray upon the nice people who believe what they're told. I am writing this, not as revenge for anything (I left them.) they've done to me, but more as a service in hopes I may save people more money than I have cost others.

First let's start with their free estimates. Empire reps are told not to give the yardage to the customer. The reason for this is they don't know. They measure the square footage of the house or room and add 20% for waste. Now in a 10 by 10 room this would be fair as the carpet comes in 12 ft widths and that would require a 10 ft long by 12 ft wide piece of carpet thus leaving a 2ft wide by 10ft long pice of waist or 20%.Now if your room is 12ft by 12ft the rep is still encouraged to add 20% waist to the job even though it isnt called for. So in a 12ft by 12ft room which is actually 16 yards the "Empire Way" would call for 19.2 yards and the rep would round up to 20 and over charge by 4 yards. However, if the rep did everything the "Empire Way" this is not illegal because he was instructed to tell you that he sells carpet by the job and not by the yard. For a one room job this might not seem like a big deal but imagine a whole house full of carpet and then adding 20% over.

Second is the pricing. Lets take their 50% off sale carpet called Keepsake. Empires target price is 41$ a yard. Target price means the price at which full commission is paid to the sales rep. On sale at 50% the price goes down to 31$ a yard because the sale is only on the capet and not installation. Well even the priciest carpet companies in America won't sell that carpet for more than 20$ a yard, It is a 24 oz. P.E.T. polyester bottom barrel carpet. At31$ dollars a yard most places will give you a 41 oz. continuous filiment nylon carpet. If a rep comes to a house, measures 1000 sf, adds 20% and divides by 9, he'll get 134 yrds; so he'll tell you the sale price is 4454.00$ If the customer agrees, he writes the sale and prays to allmighty that you don't shop around, he's also instructed to offer a discount if you'll put the carpet in tommorro. Now if you are just getting estimates or are shocked by the price then the real games begin. He'll say something to lead you into a trap like " If I could get you a better price by calling a manager do you think we can get this carpet installed tommorro?" . If you say " How much of a discount are we talking about?" he'll ask you what you had in mind. The goal is to find out how much your willing to pay because he allready knows he can go as low as 18$ a yard for that carpet without talking to a manager. If you believed the first price of 4454$ and he calls for a drop the price goes to 3900$ you are probably impressed by the discount and feel pressured to buy because you don't want to loose that 500$ discount; But you could have bought it for as low as 2000$ if you kept saying "just leave me an estimate and i'll call you."
    Now you see why I say Empire prays upon the customer who believes what they're told. Even at 18$ a yard for Keepsake it's only a fair price and not a price that you'll never see again like the sales rep is claiming. Any one would be more than happy to sell you keepsake for 18$ a yard installed. If I sold you carpet and you bought it at the "sale price" without any further discount then I apologise because you probably paid to much. Empire does have good customer service and I can't take that away from them, but the price they charged you allows them to install it twice and still be profitable. As for the carpet quality; poor,very poor.If you want it tommorro then Empire is the best place for you, just take the first price the rep tells you and say you'll install it tommorro if they knock off 40%.

I hope this helps some people save some money because it doesn't come easy these days.

• Ro
      21st of Aug, 2008

THIS COMPANY IS A SHAM, SALEMAN CAME TO MY HOUSE AND MEASURED, THE PRICE WAS $3000 . I THEN ASKED HIM HOW HE CAME TO THAT PRICE, HE COULD NOT GIVE ME A ANSWER.HE ALSO TOLD ME IT WOULD BE TWO WEEKS BEFORE THEY COULD INSTALL CARPET, THEIR TV AD SAYS NEXT DAY INSTALLATION. I TOLD THE SALESMAN TO PACK UP HIS SAMPLES AND DONT LET THE DOOR HIT HIM ON THE WAY OUT. DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THEIR ADS SAY, THEY ARE A TOTAL SHAM. PS I SHOPPED LOCAL AND AND GOT THE SAME CARPET NEXT DAY FOR $1500 .IT READY PAYS TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AREA STORES MAY BE THE WAY TO GO.DON'T BELIEVE A WORD EMPIRE SAYS THEY ARE CHEATING THE PUBLIC.