Emirates Airlines / non receipt of baggage - ek 516

1 India Review updated:

My family and I traveled to bangalore on the 19th of december on emirates. Out of the 5 bags that were checked in - we only received 3 on arrival at the bangalore international airport. We were given a contact number for the baggage section to co ordinate with regarding the remaining bags. We found out that we are not eligible to any compensation as we had received part of our baggage!!! Several email were sent to the customer relations etc (Which I have included below) they were on holiday and then there was no response.

An airline of emirates' calibre promises the best service etc, but sadly does not deliver. If someone can help me in this regard I would be much obliged.

A copy of the emails sent to the customer affairs at emirates

Date: sat, 29 dec 2007 03:53:28 - 0800 (Pst)
From: vandana aroon
Subject: reminder: fwd: non - receipt of baggage - ek 516 - december 19, 2007 - urgent

Dear,

Further to my email regarding compensation for the non receipt of my bags, given below, I have not yet received any response.

Baggage with the tag number ek630409 was received on the 23rd morning. The bag contained perishable goods which due to the delay in arrival, was spoilt and not fit for use.

Since these bags contained my personal items such as clothing etc. Please advise regarding compensation as I have been inconvenienced and have had to make purchases. The local baggage office and toll free number (A call centre in mumbai) were not able to take a call on the same as they apparently are not authorised to process the claim. We were advised to write to this email id. This has been done on the 21st of december - with no effect.

Request you to take action at the earliest and expedite our claim request as we are returning to dubai on the 4th of january. I am a skywards member - ek [protected] and expect the service you promise and solicit a reply in this matter.

Best regards,

Vandana aroon wrote:
Date: sun, 23 dec 2007 04:25:20 - 0800 (Pst)
Subject: fwd: non - receipt of baggage - ek 516 - december 19, 2007 - urgent

Dear sir, madam,

I am still awaiting your response to my earlier query regarding compensation for mishandled/delayed baggage.

Request prompt response.

Vandana aroon wrote:
Date: fri, 21 dec 2007 22:12:02 - 0800 (Pst)
Subject: non - receipt of baggage - ek 516 - december 19, 2007 - urgent

Dear sir/madam,

I would like to bring to your notice that my family and I -

Aroon/kpmr
Aroon/vandanamrs
Aroon/vedanthmstr

Travelled on ek 516 - dxb-blr on 19 december, 2007. We are holding confirmed return tickets on the 4th of january 2008. On arrival at the bangalore airport, we did not receive 2 nos. Baggage under tag no. Ek630409 and ek630406.

Yesterday - i. E. 21 december, we received 1 bag no. Ek 630406 that was ripped apart completely and wrapped in a transparent polythene emirates bag. The scanned copy of the emirates mishandled baggage receipt no. 1640 (Case no. 12787) dtd. 21 december 2007, and comments are attached.

Our contact person at the local offcie in bangalore - ms. Devaki adviced us to return the bag in the received condition to claim compensation for the bag only. This has been done.

The remaining bag still to be delivered contains all my clothes and personal effects. As per ek policy - if part baggage has been received the traveller is not eligible to receive any compensation for the non received baggage (As adviced by the local staff - mr. Sriram raju, mr. Prasanna, ms. Devaki, mr. Raghavan).

We are travelling as a family and as such the baggage was checked in under one name - i. E. Aroon/kpmr. All the 5 pieces of baggage were booked under this name. Your policy of non compensation for receipt of part baggage cannot be applied in our case. If needed the bag, labelled with my skywards tag - vandana aroon - ek [protected] can be checked in my presence to verify that the contents are indeed my clothes and gifts.

The reason for non delivery of the misplaced baggage is the malfunctioning of the conveyor belt in dubai, (As explained to us by the local office in bangalore). Regular ek flights have arrived from dubai with passengers and luggage since. I fail to understand how my baggage has not been able to reach the " so called malfuntioning conveyor belt". I have been assured that my baggage will be sent on the next available flight, to no avail.

Given that I am in india to attend family weddings, the delay in receiving the bag no. Ek630409 has caused extreme inconvenience and I have had to make many purchases to ensure that I am able to attend these personal; functions. I am expecting that an airline of your calibre will address this issue on priority and ensure;

1. Prompt delivery of baggage (In good condition, unlike the earlier one)
2. Compensation for the purchases made to cover the delay in receiving the bag

Being a skywards member I expect assistance of the standard you claim to maintain. I am very disappointed and hence this written request to expedite the matter at the earliest. My local contact number is + [protected]/+[protected]/+[protected] (Roaming dubai number).

Vandana aroon

Comments

• Mm
      7th of Jan, 2008

Please Send My Member Card Urgent 5th time i registered But my Membership Card Is Not Sent To My Adress Please sent me my member card.

Thanx.

• Ab
      29th of Jan, 2008

I and my familty travel from Dubai to Hyderabad by Emirates Airlines on 27/jan/08 Flight no. EK524 . from my baggage one JVC handycam movie camera has been missed. I want emirates airline should take immediate action and compensate me. I chosen air becuase I trust this is one of best air line but got bad experience. Your prompt action will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Abdulgaffar Shuath

• Th
      15th of Feb, 2008

I am disappointed in the fact that I changed from another airline to fly emirates. I lost my luggage going to South Africa on flight EK 761 22 Jan 2008. I was 1 of about 8 others. Reporting this eventually resulted in me missing a connection flight as well because of the time delay and long cues at that counter.

On doing follow up calls to the emirates I was lied to at least once and that was when they decided to answer their phone which they don't seem like doing. I have had no response from them. Almost a month now and I have still heard nothing and don't expect to either.

Travelling back to Eastern Europe I once again had the misfortune to fly with them and lost my luggage again. The entity there booked it to Iran and at Dubai I determined that I was booked on a later flight too and would once again miss the transfer flight. I am not the only one that it happened to.

This is not acceptable to me and have requested that our Company no longer use emirates. I will at my own cost publish a detailed article in the Sunday news papers to warn others of this lousy setup.

I regret using this airline and will not recommend it.

• Ni
      7th of Dec, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to bring to your notice that my family and I travelled to Delhi from Riyadh via Dubai on flights EK3818 (Riyadh to Dubai) starting on 18th November, 2009 and EK 512 (Dubai to Delhi) starting on 18th November, 2009, reaching Delhi at 2.40 am on 19th November at IGI airport in Delhi. We are holding confirmed return tickets on the 17th of December 2009. On arrival at the IGI airport Delhi, we did not receive 1 baggage under tag no. EK556293.

We filled immediately the Property Irregularity Report (PIR) for checked baggage besides the Baggage Inventory Form. We had already provided the original baggage identification tags to the Emirates representatives immediately on arrival at IGI Airport, New Delhi on 19 November.

We were told that our mishandled bag will be traced and restored to us within three working days but even after 17 days, the Emirates office staff (starting with Ritu Suri, Joshua, Olivia etc..) at IGI airport are clueless.

On December 06, 2009, I received a call from one Ms. Olivia that our bag had been traced in Dubai and the same would be restored to us the next day. To our extreme disappointment and dismay, an air bag belonging to some other person travelling from Beirut to Delhi via Dubai was delivered to me. This happened even as we had supplied each and every detail of the mishandled bag to the above mentioned Emirates representatives at the IGI airport in duly filled forms and through telephone and even a lay man could have visibly differentiate between the wrong bag delivered to us and bag specifications provided by me including physical appearance of the bag and Tag number.

I wonder how responsibly the ground staff of Emirates at IGI airport executed their job that instead of providing our lost bag, they delivered a wrong bag to us thus creating more difficulties for us and also to the person whose bag was delivered to us.

Given that we came to India for Eid Al Adha vacations and to attend weddings, all our Eid clothes and gifts are in the bag and the irresponsibility and deficiency in service of Emirates in delivering the bag No. EK556293 has caused extreme inconvenience and we have had to make many purchases to ensure that we are able to attend these personal functions. I am expecting that an airline of your calibre will address this issue on priority and ensure;

1. Prompt delivery of baggage (in good condition)
    2. Compensation for the purchases made to cover the delay in receiving the bag

I am a dedicated Emirates traveller but this is a really frustrating and irritating experience this time with Emirates. Even after our repeated follow-ups, we are told that the bag is still untraceable, which is not at all acceptable to us.

I expect assistance of the standard you claim to maintain. I am very disappointed and hence this written request to expedite the matter at the earliest. My Delhi contact number is + 91 99539 00063 and Riyadh number is + 966 507142607.

Please find below my communication with the ground staff of Emirates at IGI airport, Delhi. This is in addition to our almost daily telephonic inquiries with the Emirates staff.

Thanks & Regards

Nisar A. Khan
    Senior Consultant
    Consulting Center for Finance and Investment (CCFI)
    P.O.Box 2462