Emirates Airlines / poisoned food

Sw7 4dl
Dear sirs
Flight ek407, melbourne to dubai, 17th june 2007
Skvwards membership number [protected]

I refer to my recent flight with you as detailed above and hereby would like to make a formal complaint. Both I and my 5 year old son ordered a diabetic meal and a short time after take off we received a chicken dish for our first meal. My son fell asleep not long afterwards and a few hours later I began to feel sick which followed by stomach cramps and a severe headache. I had several visits to the toilet where I was physically sick. My son woke up and asked to go to the toilet and while we were waiting my son had to be sick in my hands and then in the toilet wc. My son fell asleep again and I continued to be violently sick for the remainder of the journey.

I advised cabin crew that I suspected there was something wrong with our chicken meal as we had not ate anything else other than cereal for breakfast that morning. She advised that all other passengers were ok but I advised her that we had diabetic meals. The stewardess then asked if I would like any paracetamol which I refused at that time. Shortly before landing my son woke up and breakfast was being served. I refused breakfast but my son said he would like something. On opening his breakfast he only wanted to eat the "fresh" fruit. I noticed something was not quite right with it and asked the passenger sitting in the seat beside us (16f) if he thought it was mould on the fruit to which he agreed and I immediately made my way to the cabin crew area. I saw a different member of the crew at this point who looked at the fruit and said that she would need to report it. I told her of the whole ordeal from melbourne and she took details in writing. Back at my seat I asked another member of crew for some paracetamol as my headache had not gone away. When the captain announced fasten seatbelts for landing, my son once again was violently sick in his seat. Obviously there was nothing I could do to clean it up at that point but as soon as we were taxiing I ran to be cabin crew for assistance who gave me two trays of wipes and towels. I cleaned my son up as best I could and we waited until all passengers were off the plane. The senior member of cabin crew advised that he had arranged for ground staff to escort us to the doctor and then on to our next flight. He had also advised that he would inform our next flight (Ek025) of our ordeal and that they would take special care of us both.

Ground staff did collect us at the plane and we walked to two different areas with no doctors and then eventually on to the medical centre. At the medical centre the doctor advised that it was his opinion that we both had food poisoning and gave us an injection. He also insisted on doing an ecg due to my past medical history but mainly because my blood pressure was high. This all took some time and we did not get out of the medical centre until 07.48 and our next flight was due to depart at 07.50. The doctor advised that the flight would be held for us, pointed in the direction of gate 33 and left us at the bottom of the lift at gate 15. There was no ground staff or car to escort us to the plane and I was particularly worried about the time and distance to get to the next gate. This obviously did not help my already high blood pressure! On arriving on the plane none of the cabin crew was aware of our previous flight ordeal. Although this flight was better than the first, I would like to make you aware that diabetics need preparation time before meals in order to take blood sugar levels and injections. Prior notice is required in order to eat a "hot" meal and frequently this is not the case when flying as staff are not educated enough on diabetes. I am sure you will agree that the main issues here are:-

1. Food poisoning:

As if it was not bad enough to be poisoned the first time, my son received mouldy food a second time!

2. Abandoned:

I am of the opinion that the cabin crew basically told me what I wanted to hear to get us off their plane and out of their hands.

3. Communication

There was no communication between the first set of cabin crew and next - not one member of the second cabin crew were aware of our situation at all.

I am extremely disappointed with emirates regarding this whole situation and look forward to hearing from you before my return flight ong july 2007.

Yours faithfully — *
Samuel mcaloon

And the reply letter

Dear mr mcaloon,

Thank you for your letter regarding your recent experience with emirates. I was sorry to learn you were unwell during the flight from melbourne to dubai, and whilst you feel you and your son had food poisoning, we have not received any adverse comments concerning the food served on board our flight that day from other passengers eating chicken and/or diabetic meals. Our medical section has advised that your condition may have been affected by other meals consumed before your flight or by other factors. Our in-flight meals are prepared in a batch production method and our caterers apply very stringent hygiene control checks in their meal preparation processes. Food poisoning, therefore, from such a meal production method would generally affect a large number of people who had consumed the same food on a flight. As indicated earlier, except for yourself, no other passengers have complained about feeling unwell after having consumed our in-flight meal on board this flight.

I have been in contact with our office in dubai, and the report they were able to obtain from the medical
Centre reflects that you were diagnosed with gastroenteritis, and therefore it would appear you and your son had a stomach bug.

Our cabin crew have made a report from this flight, showing that you did not bring you and your son's
Illness to their attention during the flight, until your son regrettably found some mould on a piece of fruit
Provided for his breakfast, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies if this caused him any distress.

I would like to assure you that this is an isolated incident and not indicative of the usual standard of service provided by emirates, and I was pleased that you son accepted the alternative which was offered.
The international airline of the united arab emirates
Gloucester park, 95 cromwell road, london sw7 4dl management tel: [protected], fax: [protected] finance & admin tel: [protected], fax: [protected]
Reservations tel: [protected], fax: [protected] ticket office tel: [protected], fax: [protected] sales tel: [protected], fax: [protected]
Personnel tel: [protected], fax: [protected] customer affairs tel: [protected], fax: [protected] web site: http://www.Emirates.com / emirates

However, I am sorry you felt abandoned after your flight from melbourne, but our staff are unable to wait at thc medical centre with passengers, but I can assure you that if there had been any problems, and you were unable to travel on your next flight, the staff at the medical centre would have notified emirates, so alternative arrangements could be made.

I am truly sorry you have found cause for complaint mr mcaloon, and I do hope that your return flights were enjoyable, that this unfortunate experience will not deter you from traveling with emirates in the future.

Yours sincerely
Mandy edminson
Customcr a ffai rs
The international

Comments

• Ab
      10th of Jan, 2010

To:

Director of Emirates,
    Airline DUBAI,
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES.

Subject: A CRIMINAL PERSON NAMELY MANZOOR BANBHAN WANTED UNDER LAW BY THE PAK. POLICE .

Dear Sir,

This is to legally inform you in your own good interest as under:

1. That a person namely Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN employee in the capacity of Projects Engineer of your company some time back and still in your service.

2. Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN is a criminal person his criminal activity is that “on 28-12-2008 his son was married with a girl named Sumairas after marriage they took Sumaira to Dubai after that there behavior was change they start tortured her because of torture her child was died and she was sick and they send her to Pakistan and took her whole the valuable dowery articles and precious cloths and gold ornaments. Mr. SHAHARYAR son of MANZOOR BANBHAN is also living illegally with his father in Emirates flat which is given to MANZOOR BANBHAN.

3. That the said certificate is self explanatory which shows that you are well aware of the whereabouts of Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN along with all his activities other than your business concern duly right under your shelter.

4. That your sheltered person namely Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN is a Notorious Criminal one, so there have been the cases of civil as well as criminal nature that are duly under proceeding against him before the competent court of law in Pakistan.

5. That other than these above mentioned cases, a new Criminal case has now registered against his two sons brother and Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN under section 338-A, 506-B/109 and 337/-A(1)/34 of the Pakistan Penal Code, 1860, vide F.I.R. No. 758/09 at the Shahra-e-Faisal Police Station, Karachi, Zone East, Karachi, Pakistan.

6. That Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN is an absconded in the criminal case under reference and his two sons Mr. SHAHARYAR, Mr. SHAHZOR brother Mr. MUNEER & MANZOOR BANBHAN is most wanted to the Pak Police for which the RED WARRANTS under norms of law are likely to be issued for his arrest through the Interpol, at any time, which note please.

NOW your good self is requested in the light of facts and reasons mentioned herein above and immediately required that:

(a) You may please, disassociate yourself from a very Criminal person namely Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN and restrain yourself from him to backup his criminal activities and also lift the undue shelter given by you to the said culprit, without further delay.

(b) Keep me informed for the current whereabouts of Mr. MANZOOR BANBHAN in, Dubai, United Arab Emirates as the best known to you that shall make help the authorities to arrest him through the Interpol with the strength of RED WARRANTS likely to be issued against him in the above mentioned case or otherwise.

(c) Your Cooperation is solicited in this behalf failing which it shall be presumed that you are still fully backing the said culprit and the said act at your part shall amount you clearly a party to this criminal case/matter and criminal activities of the said culprit and held you responsible in person for answer in the Court of law and the legal action taken under norms of law at par, which note please.

Looking for the prompt and positive reply in this behalf from your good self, very soon, Please.

With regards;
    Yours Truly,

Karachi. (ABDUL KHALIQUE BARIJO)
    Dated: 10-01-2010 Cell Phone # +923212369261

Airline DUBAI,
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES.

• Gr
      1st of Jun, 2011

I would say the meals served to us on our return flights Sydney-Bangkok on Emirates was Bloody disgraceful both ways dept 28 May 2011, Ret 28 may 2011; The service was not much better, i have traveled Bus and Enc many times but on recent flights it was shocking Emirates are as bad as the worst airline in the air now...Back to Singapore Airlines.

• To
      4th of Oct, 2011

I flew Dubai - London 2 days ago and both myself and my girlfriend are suffering from horrendous food poisoning, so bad my girlfriend fainted from throwing up. Having read many comments about Emirates' history of serving contaminated food I swear I will never fly with this airline again. The responses I've read from customer service are absolutely disgraceful.

• Gi
      22nd of Nov, 2011

My Husband and I are on our honeymoon. We flew from Australia on Saturday 12th November to Dubai and then a connecting flight to Rome. My husband also suffered severe food poisoning. We only had 1.5 weeks in Italy before flying back to Australia. He spent the first 6 days of our trip in bed violently ill. We also had a 2nd wedding ceremony 7 days after we arrived. He was still quite ill for that. We are extremely upset with Emirates. We have called Emirates and their suggestion is to either Call Dubai or to email their customer affairs office. I have sent 2 emails and not received a reply as yet. We decided to pay extra to fly with Emirates as we wanted to have a comfortable experience. We are not impressed with their lack of response. When we fly into Dubai tomorrow... we will be talking to their office. This should not be tolerated by anyone!!!