Emery Cat / Overcharges

Phone: 1-866-438-8842
Advertisement uses misdirection and "BOGO" to imply buy one get one which is actually 25% off and appears to be 2 P&H charges.
If you order one unit at $19.95 and $7.95 P&H and accept the BOGO (expecting another P&H of $7.95) for a total of $35.85. But the total is $66.70. The original $19.95 and BOGO unit, not free but 25% off, at $14.95 and 4 P&H charges.

None of these add progressively and wait for acceptance they "are being processed" before you see your total.

You will also have a chance for an upgrade to a sturdy unit that won't slide around for another $10.

Sounds like a good product with shady marketing.

N  12th of Jul, 2009 by
The same scam happened to us. We called our credit card company to cancel the purchase but they charge $35.00 to cancel. Called emery cat customer service and they said that they don't have the order yet and to call back "in a couple of days" to cancel the order. I'm sure by then the order wlill be on its way and too late to cancel. Their ad is blatently deceptive.
A  12th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
In the middle of my transaction I realized that I would only get the cardboard with no plastic base! To get the base they wanted another $10! Thats insane! I left my browser open and called my cc company. They told me that unless I received an email from the company that the transaction did not go through. I kept them on the phone and Ctrl-Alt-Del all my web browsers, and had my cc company put in a note to NOT pay emerycat anything if by chance it tried to go through!
What a scam Emery Cat is!
A  16th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree- $31.00 for shipping and no opportunity to review order before placing order. I'm calling my credit card to stop payment and contact Emerycat to cancel order. Would love to have the product, but will not support a business who practices shady business like this.
A  4th of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You don't find out that there is no base until you have committed the first order. Also, it appears that you need to confirm to get the 2nd (free) unit, but in fact what you are doing is ordering a second complete set of 2. Customer service said wait 24 hours for order to get into their system.

You then don't learn that there is no base until they offer you a plastic base for a "deluxe" upgrade. By then, the order is committed. I could find no way to back out.

I went to their website next day and checked my order status. On the order status screen is a "Cancel Order" option, which I used. They offered me an additional $15 discount to keep the order. I cancelled anyway.

Total scam!

We should be able to obtain these units from any "as seen on TV' dealer in the near future, and I'm waiting for that.
A  5th of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Wow, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Calling my cc company was the thing to do! Nice to know they can help you out this way.
I did receive a postcard about a month later in the mail saying my order was on backhold and would be sent out, or to call to cancel.
I trusted that my cc would uphold my telling them to deny ALL payments to this company, and it worked.
My advice is to call your cc right away and try to stop payment.
N  6th of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
The solution is to call the customer service # to place your order, then you can confirm you get the insert as well as the base and the 2nd set is actually added with just $7.95 for shipping & handling. I called to confirm all this & will place an order soon. You can also order a 3 pack of inserts for an additional $14.95
N  7th of Nov, 2009 by
I would say the real solution is to print out the screens showing the fraud if you are ordering online, and then send a complaint into the FLorida if that is where they are located, Attny Generals office! They will HAVE to respond to any questions from them, and seems to me there are half dozen seperate "customer" complaints above.
One never knows how many complaints it takes for the AG office in any state to do a full out investigation and audit!
If you don't have screen prints showing the fraud, then just send the complaint into the AG office, many states now have online complaint forms.

Glad now when I see something interesting on TV the first place I go is google to find out about the product, has saved me a lot of money in fraud companies as it does look like an excellent product for my many cats, but they can continue on using their Turbo Chargers, available at most pet stores with NO fraud involved :-)
N  9th of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
This is the biggest scam I have ever seen. Customer service sucks the big one also. You get nailed before you ever see the total. The Federal Trade Commission is the place to file a complaint. Melissa from Woburn, you have been in the medicine cabinet if you think this is the way it works. Customer service tells you what you want to hear and then you get burned by charges. BOGO my ###. This is a money maker for some scamming SOB.
N  3rd of Dec, 2009 by
WOW I ALMOST ordered this. Both of my cats have sharp, long claws but don't travel well so I can't take them to be groomed. I'd try the pedi-paws but I'm sure the noise would frighten them too, and I don't relish being scratched for trying to help them. Based on the feedback here, I've decided to wait until this is available elsewhere. THANKS!
Jayne in NC
N  4th of Dec, 2009 by
Me too, Jayne in NC. It sounded so good in theory, which is usually the case for these TV gadgets. What a shame... I will wait until I see it in stores. Walgreens usually sells all the TV gadgets! Save a lot of money.
A  5th of Dec, 2009 by
This company is a total rip-off! I just called my AMEX to have the charge removed but I would like to put them out of business. I will send a letter to the Better Business Bureau and The Federal Trade Commission.

I wish I would have found this forum earlier!
A  6th of Dec, 2009 by
A  8th of Dec, 2009 by
This outfit is a TOTAL SCAM . They banged my AMEX 77.60! I only wish I could get my hands around the necks of these ### I'd choke the living ### out each and every one of them! They think stealing from people is OK!!

I hope thier CT address is for real...people need to lay in wait for these ###...they deserve to be knee capped!

These guys are no better then the Nigerian Email Scammers...wouldn't surprise me if they were the same people.
i ordered 2 in error & was charged 71.70

i only wanted 1&1 free +shipping but could not change the internet order(no cart)

i called cs today & was given a credit for the mistake

also 2 shipping labels will be mailed to me for return of Xtra merchandise

cs was pleasant & cooperative

1 am sure he was honest & all will be well
N  10th of Dec, 2009 by
Thanks for posting this everybody. You've saved me a lot of grief. I'm gonna wait for it to come to the "as seen on TV" aisle. Sorry you went through that and I really, REALLY appreciate you sharing!
N  10th of Dec, 2009 by
I agree that they make it very difficult and stupid to order online. However, if you call in the order, you should have no troubles. I've read enough good things about this product to try it. But going online was a mistake. It's far too confusing how to order, if you order one or two (for BOGO offer), and exactly what the upgrade is, or what NOT getting the upgrade means. So, after completely screwing up the online order, I called the customer service line. They were very helpful, and straightened out the order. I bought the "upgrade" which should be stock, and also opted for the three replacement inserts. For less than the price of taking my two cats into get their nals cut, this will do the trick for quite some time. Well worth it, but DON'T do it online! CALL them instead!
A  11th of Dec, 2009 by
This makes me furious!!! It wouldnt let me cancel or go back until it went through...its rigged!! The commercial is very misleading!!
N  18th of Dec, 2009 by
I'm glad I checked this out. Wanted to buy this, but these complaints have changed my mind.
A  22nd of Dec, 2009 by
Yet another deceptive marketing scam. Glad I saw this first too so I won't waste my time and/0r money ordering online. I use a similar product already bought from Walmart!
N  22nd of Dec, 2009 by
I am so glad I decided to check out this sight 1st. Hubby told me about the cat emery. I was just going online to check it out. I got scammed by two other products. buy this & get this free & then to upgrade... and then S&H were tripled. and so on ~~~~~~~
I will not order this cat emery now.
Thank you for having this complaint sight.

Linda Davis