Elizabethtown Gas (AGL Resources) / back-billing

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

Received statement one month way over the average bill - over $1000. Called to find out they want me to pay. After many phone calls later, only to find out they are charging ME for one of THEIR employees mistakes. They installed a new gas meter on my condo and the service rep never programmed it correctly. So, after almost 3 years of receiving and paying my statements, they decided to back-bill me the gas that was used, but was never programmed through the meter. Now, I am moving and they will not open a new account, because I refused to pay their one bill, because of their mistake. I've complained to the Board of Public Utilities, but they will not help me, claiming they can legally collect up to six years back. I just do not see the justification in any of this. No one wants to help me, not Governor Corzine, not Congressman Garrett ... great state we live in and what a wonderful cheating utility company I am FORCED to use because there is no other gas utility company in the area. My range and heat are both natural gas. What can I do, except use my fireplace this winter and cook on my grill. Any suggestions????

Sa

Comments

• Mk
      29th of Sep, 2009

I am having trouble with E-town Gas as well. Thier meter broke and they are backcharging me over$1800.00 for 14 months gas. My total gas bill for 1 year averages less than $650.00 . I am getting nowhere with cust service rep Judy Conroy, Of E-Town gas Berkely Heights NJ . She is attempting to bully me into paying this outrageously inflatede "premise charge" plan on continuing battle, they cant shut your gas off.

MKCPLL
    Hackettstown NJ

• Jr
      28th of Dec, 2010

We just received a bill for over $1000. Supposedly our last meter reading was rejected because the numbers seemed so "off." As a result of Elizabethtown Gas's estimating our bill each month now we owe much more than we can afford. The customer service reps we have spoken with have been rude and unhelpful. After finally speaking with a supervisor who apologized for the inconvenience and set us up with a payment plan, we were told that a rep would be coming out to install a new, better meter. I have made numerous attempts to schedule that appointment and no one is returning my calls. If I could switch companies I would. This experience has been a nightmare.

• Bp
      23rd of Apr, 2015

I beleive Elizabeth Town Gas is SCAMMING so many customers with the same issue!! I had the same thing happen to me in 2012 I was told I my meter readings were being estimated and when they came out to my home to read meter that my meter was broken and I owed $1032.00. I couldn't believe that 6yrs in my house and they come to tell me that it was broken and I had to pay.. I agreed to go on a payment plan although it never made sense to me, and my payment plan was for 3yrs I made every single payment and I found it strange that I was still pyaing my agreement when I should have been done with that agreement. I called ETgas and they said that I owe $2500 and I still have remaing payments left!?? I asked them where did that $2500 come from when it was $1032 and they said 3 months after my agreement they had to make an adjustment on more back charges and they changed my agreement to the new number $2500.. I was furious and said "I NEVER AGREED TO THAT AGREEMENT SO WHO DID"?? they took it upon their own hands to change my agreement and charge me more $$ this is crazy.. I asked her to check phone conversations from 2012 and see that I never agreed to that second agreement and she said they only keep phone conversations for 45 days! really?? these people are scammers!! beware!! I'm going to continue to fight this this is wrong! and so many people are bein scammed!!!