Elgin Transmission / Rip off

1 EDWARD STREETSaint Thomas, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 519-633-3134

I took my minivan into elgin transmission, spoke with jamie ( owner ), he said my transmission is broke and would cost $2300 to $2500.00 to fix it.i said ok to the repair at $2500.00 MAX !!! When i came back to pick it up he wanted $3000.00. i am a single mom of 3 kids and on disability due to a recent accident. i told him this, he was ignorant, told me to pay or i am not getting my van back. i asked about a payment plan, he laughed and said sure 100 percent down and no further payments. how can someone be so mean. i left crying. if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with this guy please help

Comments

• Rr
      14th of Dec, 2010

what an ###. my brother got ripped off their too. charged him 3500.00, only lasted 2 weeks and then broke again. the guy at elgin transmission told him no warranty cause the rad failed. ###. we had it tested at canadian tire they said it was good... taking him to court.your caught in a lie now buddy. also dealership said you put in wrong parts, and overcharged by 1000.00

19th of Jan, 2011

I am the owner of Elgin Transmission and both of these compaints are false. If anyone has any questions concerning these coments posted please contact me directly. In 15 years of opperating this shop I have NEVER been taken to court or even thretend with legal action. Jamie 519-633-3134

8th of Jun, 2011

I totally disagree with the comments posted above.
    I own an Acura MDX that had the transmission cooler blow up inside my rad causing the antifreese and transmission fluid to mix. I had the radiator replaced by my local mechanic and he said I would very likely have transmission issues. He was right, and he recommended Elgin Transmission to me as the best place to have it fixed. Jaime thoroughly explained what all my options were and I chose to rebuild with a verbal quote of $4000.00 -$4500.00.
    The total bill was 3300.00 + tax .
    I experienced some problems a few months later when I towed boat and had the MDX towed back to Elgin transmission. The new rad that my local mechanic put in had a defective transmission cooler which did not allow the transmission fluid to properly cool and damaged my newly rebuilt transmission. Jaime pulled the transmission out repaired it and installed back in with a proper transmission cooler. I was not charged for any of these repairs, even the transmission cooler was installed at no charge. Neither my mechanic or Elgin Trasmissiom was at fault for what had happened here as it was just a faulty radiator and Jaime went above and beyond to make it right for me. I only wish all service type businesses treated their customers this well.
    Below is a link where I initially posted some feedback for those who might not believe this story.

John Laurindo
    519-765-2759

• Ka
      26th of May, 2014

I have dealt with all of my transmission work for my vehicles for years now and Jamie has never been anything but straightforward and honest. He is the best choice in this town for tranny work.

Steve Alblas
    Accounts Manager
    WhiteStreet FlooringCanada

• Ri
      21st of Mar, 2016

We drove our daughter's car all the way from Pickering to have Elgin Transmission do the job for us. Instead of $1400 which was quoted in Pickering, Jamie did the job to fix her car for a little over $600!!! What a relief for our daughter!!! Jamie is one of the most HONEST AND CARING GUYS OUT THERE!!! Would not ever take anywhere else to do transmission work. Great job Jamie and thank-you!!!
    Rita White