Elegant Rags / another sick kitten

1 SC, United States Review updated:

We had a horrific experience with Elegant Rags. We had similar horror stories as the other poor victims: the sick kittens and their heartbroken families. We only heard from Jessica Perry 9 times the day she was trying to sell us our kitten, after she received her money, she became unreachable, especially when our kitten was tragically ill. Whoever from elegant Rags wrote that they were never sent vet bills is adding to their lies, we faxed all of our vet bills totaling over $2, 000, we never heard from her again despite the almost daily calls we made to her looking for pertinent medical background information etc. As for the claim that other breeders are making these anonymous comments, good breeders are much too busy to take time to make these postings. Reputable, ethical breeders have wait lists and they interview the prospective families to make sure that their beloved kittens are going to good, loving homes. This is not a business of selling items, these are precious creatures with hearts and souls and the right to a healthy life free from abuse of every kind. Jessica Perry "franchises" this business to anyone who will send her the money. The more I learn about how a reputable breeder handles these precious lives with concern for their health and well-being as a priority, the sadder I become not only about our tragedy, but the continuing tragedy of the victims with 2 and 4 legs with big hearts. Please help stop these sad tragedies that are very true and very real.

Comments

25th of Sep, 2010

I have bought a kitten from her only months ago and she has been unreachable. Only her helpers have talked to us at all and haven't responded at all to our complaints. Although our kitten was given a clean bill of health, the vet wasn't able to really tell if he was positive for FIP or not since it's so hard to tell at first. But I do have to say that after being told of "his personality" being very mellow and affectionate, and noticing that he had been drugged when we got him to keep him at a calm, sleepy state when we picked him up at her house for the long car ride. I thought nothing of it at first as perhaps he'd never traveled far and he might have needed a little motion sick meds. But it was apparent when we got him home when he woke up that he was nothing as described.

He was clawing on our furniture, running from us, scared to death, and it became apparent that he had never been in a human's lap before. Now, after months of socialization he is still a little shy and afraid of anything new but does enjoy sleeping on my husband and my bed and "cuddle time" :) I'm glad he no longer has reason to be afraid, but have to wonder what his life was like before this one to make him so skid-dish! I bought an older cat from her by the way..

22nd of Nov, 2010

I wish I would of found this long before buying a cat from Elegant Rags. After getting the kitten we took him to the vet for he was sick when we got him. We already had paid in full per the agreement. He only lived 2 months for he died of FIP. We contacted E.Rags and they just blew it off and said it was something we done. No so sorry, would you like a refund or another kitten. Noting. e never got any papers frm them showing that we paid for the kitten. A few words of advice. 1) Make sure it is a registerd cattery. 2) Visit the cattery before you buy not once but twice. 3) Check the internet for reviews.
    And just because you change your name if you have sick kittens they will still be sick.

• Je
      24th of Mar, 2012

I purchased a male seal point mitted Ragdoll from Love Ragdolls in November 2011. I took him to the vet the day after I received him per the contract. He was found to have an ear infection. He continued to be treated for this until February 2012 when they discovered an ear polyp that was causing the chronic infections. It was removed and the vet said it had been there a while, so it is obvious that he already had it when I got him. He has a 50% chance of it returning, if it continues to come back he may have to have his ear canal removed ! ! I have been wondering how it is possible that he got a health certificate to fly. Just today 3/24/12 I received the paperwork to fill out for his pedigree. Only then did I know that he came from "Elegant Rags" I had no idea there was another cattery involved with my cat. I did a search and found these reports on Jessica Perry, who's name was on all my paperwork. Although my cat's issues are no where near as serious as the ones I have been reading about something needs to be done about this cattery. My heartfelt sympathies go out to those who have lost kittens from Elegant Rags.

I did my research on Love Ragdolls and it looked good. I will do more research if I choose to get another Ragdoll.